Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #21

Thanks Clewis. I've been researching these for a couple yrs and most reviews are pretty good. Please keep us posted how the install goes and his you like it. I just bought a Rockwood 2608 and want z camera before I hit the road. Your info would be very helpful. Thanks. Robb
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #22

Robb, I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully my husband will install it next week .
CLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #23

Our RV unit has the Furrion Mounting Bracket installed and of course is pre-wired. What has anyone used to cover the holes if my new camera doesn't match up with the holes left from the Furrion Camera?? I don't think I'll be that lucky to have them match up. Really wouldn't want any leaks.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #24

Furron Wireless Camera

We have a 8280sw -31' long and use the Furron Wireless camera . It works ok, but the images are darker than I would like.
It is activated by turning on your running lights or headlights, which allow you to see what is behind you or on your side while going down the highway. This is the feature I actually use the most. I have seen ads for other makes that had better reviews at less cost.

Regards,
Rich Kanehl
The Villages, Fl.
8280sw Rockwood
2012 - Nissan Titan
RKanehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:15 AM   #25

Smile Furrion

I just purchased and installed the Furrion unit on MY 2015 FR 831 FKBSS, it was a so easy to install. The unit Paired up immediately with the monitor and camera and worked perfect. I found unit on web for $300.00 out of IL. The trailer is wired for running lights on to activate the camera, IT took me more time to get out the Ladder then to install unit.
Very pleased with the Furrion so far.
speedozeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:03 AM   #26

What was the website you found it on?
Old 04-12-2015, 07:01 AM   #27

The Web site and Dealer is Big RV Country or Jerry Pressly RV. Calling the toll free phone # is the better way to order and get the best price. It is listed as $350 on the Web but when I called to order the lady stated since I already had the mount unit on my TT then I would only need the camera and monitor kit which is $300. They also give free shipping for order of $300 or more, and no sales tax if you live outside IL.
Best deal I found and again I am very happy with how easy it installed and works. Remember that you must have the tail lights on to have the camera work. FR wiring is hooked to Tail lights, Not a reverse light option that is talked about in the Furrion installation. This is better so you can see when the rear is clear for lane changes.
Big Discount RV | Low Priced Parts & Accessories for your RV
speedozeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #28

Thanks I just received the Safety First Camera. I really like it but I might have to do some modifications due to the holes from the Furrion mount. Furrion hasn't had to many good reviews so that was why I went with the rear safety camera. I've been to busy to go out and see how it will mount. Like I said in an earlier post I really don't want to have to drill new holes. Worse case scenario I will return it and go with Furrion. Has your camera locked up and lost the signal? That seems to be a problem with the Furrion camera. I haven't heard of any issues with Rear View Safety cameras
Old 04-12-2015, 09:27 AM   #29

We're you pre-wired for the Furrion camera? Just wondering if you were how you mounted it if you had the Furrion mount.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #30

8280 Rockwood was prewired for the Furron

When we purchased our Rockwood in January, we also purchased the Furron. I climbed the latter and pushed in the plug coming from the Furron mount on the back of the 5th wheel, put in the mounting screws and it worked, after I put on the running lights on my truck.

Rich Kanehl
The Villages Florida
2012 Nissan Titan with tow package
RKanehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #31
pastorscottz

Rear Safety or Rear-View Safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLewis View Post
We bought a Rear Safety wireless camera. Customer service seems to be really good plus they have alot of good reviews
I'm unable to find a brand name, "Rear Safety". Do you mean, "Rear-View Safety"?

2015 Rockwood 8285IKWS 5th wheel
2012 Ram 1500 Hemi
pastorscottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #32

Yes, sorry about that.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #33

Robb,My husband just installed the Furrion High Speed Observation and Backup Camera model # FOS48TA-BL. It's their newest camera. They said people were trying to use the FRC12TA-BL camera as an observation and backup camera & it was only meant to be used as a backup camera that is why it was freezing up and dropping the signal. Being our Windjammer was pre-wired and had the Furrion mount it was so easy to install - just take off the 4 screws and the plate & plug in the camera. It paired right up and we used it this past weekend on a 2 hr. ride each way. It worked great never lost the signal and didn't freeze up. If you are interested in it I bought it on EBay for $399.00. Furrion sells it on their website for $499.00. I sold my Rear View Safety system to a guy in our RV Club. Rear View Safety system seemed to be made better but my husband didn't want to drill any holes in our RV. Furrion was easy to install and works great just make sure you get the new model. I hope this helps you. Cyndi
Old 05-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLewis View Post
Robb,My husband just installed the Furrion High Speed Observation and Backup Camera model # FOS48TA-BL. Cyndi
Cyndi, if I may, which monitor did you decide to use with this camera?
Our 8528IKWS is also 'prewired', but with no camera so far. We're very interested in this model camera, but with big GPS monitor, TST monitor, etc--we're running out of dash space!
We have been looking at their 7 inch mirror mount as a good alternative to get it up off the dash.
(Anyone else chiming in here would be good, if you have experience with this monitor)
Thanks, Cyndi (et al)

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #35

The Furrion camera comes with the Monitor. It is around 4 inches or so. If you want to also use the camera as an observation along with the backup make sure you get the Furrion model number FOS48TA-BL. This model works great never loses connection or freezes up. Plus it's wireless and is very quick and easy to install especially if you are already pre wired with the Furrion mount.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #36

I installed the Rearview Safety RVS-CW-CAM on my Cedar Creek 38fl a couple of weeks ago. Installation was easy with the most difficult part being trying to locate the wiring loom that was pre-installed for the Fusion camera. After fishing around for a few minutes using a bent wire coat hanger I managed to find it. I then cut off the Fusion connector and attached to wires from the RVS to the installed wires in the trailer. The cameras works just great at walking speed but any faster and i lose the picture. I contacted RVS and they are mailing a set of booster antenna to me, free of charge. When they arrive, I hope that will cure the loss of signal. I am sure the loss I suffer is due t the location I have the camera mounted and the length and subsequent interference I have from the 5er.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:13 AM   #37

Morning all

This was exactly the information I was looking for. After 2 months of researching, watching YouTube sales videos, emailing Forest River and driving all over Texas to see various floor plans and interiors in person we are finally going to be ordering our Flagstaff 25BHS today and we're super excited for the adventures ahead of us.

My experience with pulling a trailer is limited cause the travel trailer we have now (that we're trading in) was pulled to an RV park outside of Houston, kept there for a year and a half and then pulled home. So with big plans for this new one, I would like to use any tools available to help me travel down the road and back it up safely.

The new micro lites now come pre-wired with the Furrion camera mount so it's good to know that this camera works well. It's pricey, but I think the price will be worth it if I can see behind the trailer as I go down the road rather than slowly changing lanes and hoping everyone gets out of the way...haha

I do have one worry though. Our trailer will have the built on back ladder. That ladder may make it easy for someone to climb up and take the camera. Have you worried about this or had any problems with this, CLewis? Only thing I can think of is to use some screws that have a head on them that requires an uncommon screwdriver or something to slow down any would be thieves. Generally RV parks are safe but I worry about when it's in a parking lot while we shop or something.

Sorry for the long winded post. It's my first one on this forum and like I said, it's an exciting day for us.
twitchblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, safety