Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #1

reese revolution hitch

would like some advise on what fifth wheel hitch is good for the new rockwoods with the reese revolution hitch. thanks for any info
Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijones View Post
would like some advise on what fifth wheel hitch is good for the new rockwoods with the reese revolution hitch. thanks for any info
I have a non slider Reese 16K for my 12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS and love it after adding some spacer shims to fill the gap between the legs and the rails. Have to force the 4 pins in, but it doesn't make any noise.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

thanks Dave do u have a short bed tv?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Rockwood 8289WS Diamond

Just got the Rockwood 8289WS towing with a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crew Max with a 5.5 ft bed. Towed for the first time last week and worked well. Need to figure out a lube for the revolution hitch pivot because it squeaks loudly but otherwise very happy. Got 9 mpg on my Tundra gas engine and towed the camper well with plenty of horsepower to spare.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
Just got the Rockwood 8289WS towing with a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crew Max with a 5.5 ft bed. Towed for the first time last week and worked well. Need to figure out a lube for the revolution hitch pivot because it squeaks loudly but otherwise very happy. Got 9 mpg on my Tundra gas engine and towed the camper well with plenty of horsepower to spare.
Try hooking up, jackknife it as sharp as possible and spray lithium grease on the exposed corners of the lube plate. Worked for me and it doesn't squeak anymore and I've towed over 5,000 miles since Feb2012.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Rockwood 8289WS Diamond

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Will try that.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

Quote:
congrats on your new unit. What hitch did u install in your tundra?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
Rockwood 8289WS Diamond

We started out with the B&W TurnoverBall but after installing learned that the B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch was not compatible with either the Tundra version of the TurnoverBall or with the factory installed pin box on the camper, the Reese Revolution.

So after that decided on the Reese 16k 5th wheel hitch and above bed rails. The look isn't as smooth as the TurnoverBall would have been but it was a compromise.

Our dealer had to weld a galvanized patch in my bed and cover it with spray bed liner to fix the hole from the TurnoverBall.

Again not super happy with all that but the camper experience helped make up for those frustrations.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijones View Post
The Reese Revolution (or Sidewinder) moves the pivot point 22" from the king pin. That more that you can get on any sliding hitch.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
We started out with the B&W TurnoverBall but after installing learned that the B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch was not compatible with either the Tundra version of the TurnoverBall or with the factory installed pin box on the camper, the Reese Revolution.

So after that decided on the Reese 16k 5th wheel hitch and above bed rails. The look isn't as smooth as the TurnoverBall would have been but it was a compromise.

Our dealer had to weld a galvanized patch in my bed and cover it with spray bed liner to fix the hole from the TurnoverBall.

Again not super happy with all that but the camper experience helped make up for those frustrations.
thanks for that info i was looking at the B & W also but thought i read somewhere it was not compatible. It looks like the reese 16k is going to be it.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #11

We are happy with the Revolution Hitch. But, it is a little more difficult to line up when you hitch it up. You need to be 100% straight going into it, or it won't lock in. And!!!! don't forget to give it a pull test before you pull away. Saw a truck in Myrtle Beach this past weekend with two deep dents in the truck side walls from the trailer pulling out of the hitch. Bad news.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
We are happy with the Revolution Hitch. But, it is a little more difficult to line up when you hitch it up. You need to be 100% straight going into it, or it won't lock in. And!!!! don't forget to give it a pull test before you pull away. Saw a truck in Myrtle Beach this past weekend with two deep dents in the truck side walls from the trailer pulling out of the hitch. Bad news.
Haven't noticed the 100% straight going in to hitch with mine, but it does have to be aligned so the pin & wedge contact the mouth of the hitch. I really like mine. Also use my version of Butch's hitch catcher.