Old 01-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #1

Reese revolution hitch making noise

Sometimes the hitch is awful noisy. Didn't have that when pulling my last 5th wheel. Anyone else notice this?

Old 01-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #2

Mine creaks and groans from time to time. Especially slow manuevering.

Tom - 2014 8289ws, 2011 Chevy 2500HD

2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #3

Mine does the same. I wasn't sure if it was the Pin Box or the Hitch in the truck. I did lubricate the hitch with spray on lithium grease and it seemed to help some. I will try putting more on next time out and see if it eliminates the noise.
2010 Rockwood 8285WS
Nights camped:
2014 - 57; 2015 - 91; 2016 - 171
Blaster 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #4

Is there anything we could lubricate on the pin box? My husband passed away and I'm trying to figure all this out myself. I think I am starting to get the hang of backing the thing in. Lol
Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #5

When the hitch is turned toward the side the top side of a rubber pad is exposed. Spray this with lithium grease. You can get it at Home Depot When the hitch is new sometimes they are very hard to move by hand, but they are suppose to. You may have to hook it up to your TV to move it. It will take a while for the grease to work over all the pad. I learned about the from OC. A factory rep showed him how to do it.
Sorry to hear about your husband. Backing an RV is not hard, just take it slow, practice, and be patient.
2010 Rockwood 8285WS
Nights camped:
Old 01-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #6

I'll try that. I've tried move mine before but couldn't budge it. Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #7

If you have a husky friend he might be able to move it and loosen it up for you. That would be quicker and easier than towing it to move it.
2010 Rockwood 8285WS
Nights camped:
Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #8

Called the tech support line at Reese about the noisy, sticking Sidewinder/Revolution hitch. Tech said hitch is shipped to FR factory as kit and FR techs assemble hitch on new trailer during build process. Hitch has two large round Teflon friction plates in pivot joint. If factory techs do not apply enough lithium grease (or none at all) the Teflon friction plates will creak, pop and grab until sufficient force from turning exceeds the clamping friction provided by the pivot's assembly nut. Once the friction caused by clamping force is exceeded by force applied by a turn, the Teflon friction plates at pivot point break free and easily slide over each other - making lots of noise. Tech said this is not a problem for long-term operation or life of the Teflon discs. Suggested 3 remedies. 1) Disassemble the hitch at pivot by removing pivot nut and then slather the mating surfaces of the Teflon friction discs with lithium grease and reassemble. 2) Force hitch to side as fas as it will go, both ways and apply lithium grease to exposed surfaces, then work hitch side to side to spread lithium grease over mating surfaces, as suggested above. 3) Ignore the noise.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #9

Forgot to add that Reese tech said the reason the unlubricated Teflon plates begin to grab and stick is due to slow accumulation of dust and dust particles between plates. Sufficient initial lube tends to keep out the particles.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkosar View Post
Called the tech support line at Reese about the noisy, sticking Sidewinder/Revolution hitch. Tech said hitch is shipped to FR factory as kit and FR techs assemble hitch on new trailer during build process. Hitch has two large round Teflon friction plates in pivot joint. If factory techs do not apply enough lithium grease (or none at all) the Teflon friction plates will creak, pop and grab until sufficient force from turning exceeds the clamping friction provided by the pivot's assembly nut. Once the friction caused by clamping force is exceeded by force applied by a turn, the Teflon friction plates at pivot point break free and easily slide over each other - making lots of noise. Tech said this is not a problem for long-term operation or life of the Teflon discs. Suggested 3 remedies. 1) Disassemble the hitch at pivot by removing pivot nut and then slather the mating surfaces of the Teflon friction discs with lithium grease and reassemble. 2) Force hitch to side as fas as it will go, both ways and apply lithium grease to exposed surfaces, then work hitch side to side to spread lithium grease over mating surfaces, as suggested above. 3) Ignore the noise.
Thanks for the great explanation. I've lubed mine a few times and have just come to ignore it now.

2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch