Old 07-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I've been using the RR for 3 years and have never experienced any difficulty hooking up. It is rarely lined up perfectly but hooks up just fine. I cannot moved the pin by hand.
Only had mine a year and have no trouble hooking up or unhooking. I made my own wedge and smoothed the sides of the wedge and the chute and lube both. Don't have to be perfectly lined up to hook up either.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Could you make some type of cheater bar that would fit over the pin and the guide so you could move those puppies easier ??
That would work. I was thinking same. Something like a water meter wrench except maybe 2x4s about 4-5 feet long.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
Site Team

In my owners packet there was something about this. I think it said after 500 miles of towing it should loosen up. I've done about 1500 miles and still tight to turn.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Had mine since Feb2012 and made 2 round trips from NC to Orlando and it still will not move by hand. I don't worry about it.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #15

After 3000 miles in 5 days my had a inch play up and down, I thighten the nut up, replaced the wedge and 5th wheel with a B&W. I love it now and I use it with CC long bed so I can haul bikes and stuff in the front the bed and 12' Kayaks on the pickup roof.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #16

The O & M manual I got from Cequent Towing Products says the 1 1/2" castle nut should be torqued to 80 ft. lbs.The pin box should be disassembled and inspected annually and lubed with lithium grease.
I don't like calender maintenance schedules. I prefer mileage schedules. I guess use your best judgment.
I have a custom wedge out of necessity. Butch of Butch's Services had to machine a custom wedge to clear his 5th wheel Latch Kit and fit my receiver. Still a bear to connect. By the way I highly recommend Butch. He really went the extra mile. His Latch Kit is awesome, gives me real peace of mind.
2011 Flagstaff 8528RLWS 5th Wheel
Reese Sidewinder Hitch 2002 Road Star Warrior
SouthWest Florida FROG
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #17

I have the same trailer. My pivot bolt was so tight it would not allow the trailer to straighten out when I tried to correct it steering the truck! The pinbox began to make noise and I lubed it with an industrial graphite spray that smells like paint. I sprayed the castle nut very heavily and voila, problem solved. I can now move the pinbox by hand and backup like a pro. My trailer was sitting on a lot for a year and I guess that contributed to the problem. Backing was so frustrating when it wouldn't correct I considered returning the trailer! As far as hitching goes, if you think about how the wedge need to enter the hitch, it cannot compensate for lateral movement enough by moving the pinbox. You don't want alot of play when it's seated. I just line it up square to the trailer and make sure the pinbox is straight on. Just takes practice. Here is a link for the graphite spray http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Not wanting to spend $32 for a 2-1/4" socket to check the torque on the pivot nut/bolt, I made a socket out of 1-1/2" angle, an old socket and about 30 minutes work. Worked fine and will for no more use than it will get. Wouldn't want to pull 250 lb/ft with it, but for 80 lb/ft which the manual calls for, it was just fine. Had to go to 90 lb/ft to get the cotter pin hole to line up, but the manual states "80 lb/ft minimum and tighten to align hole"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00382.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	34579   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00383.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	34580  
Old 07-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
I have the same trailer. My pivot bolt was so tight it would not allow the trailer to straighten out when I tried to correct it steering the truck!
That sounds like a dangerous situation.
Could it do that as well if it lost its lubrication?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #20

Yes it's a big PITA to hook up. I have been using the aftermarket sidewinder for almost 2 years. You have to be streight on. If you set up the wedge correctly there isn't any play between the wedge and the receiver. If there was, you'd get some wobble between the tongue pivoting on the pin and also pivoting on the pivot point under the trailer. I can move mine but it's not easy. At first I couldn't move it.

Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote