Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Or a Chevy, haven't carried a tool box since we got rid of our 60 Ford station wagon.
Love it. : ' )

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #42
Senior Moment

Finally had a chance to check torque. It was a little under the 80ft. Lbs. After going to 80 then a little more to put cotter pin in now it's much stiffer. So if yours turns really easily like mine did you might want to check the torque.
rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #43

Quote:
Only had mine a year and have no trouble hooking up or unhooking. I made my own wedge and smoothed the sides of the wedge and the chute and lube both. Don't have to be perfectly lined up to hook up either.
@OldCoot I have wondered about this and thought you'd be the guy to ask. Ever thought of smoothing out the front corners of the wedge so it's less likely to get caught up when hooking up? Or is that what you achieved by making your own?

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #44
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMazz View Post
@OldCoot I have wondered about this and thought you'd be the guy to ask. Ever thought of smoothing out the front corners of the wedge so it's less likely to get caught up when hooking up? Or is that what you achieved by making your own?
I tapered and smoothed/polished the front to match the pin and the polished/smoothed the edges of the chute and the wedge.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #45

I purchased the specific wedge to fit my Reese hitch when I purchased the Sidewinder(aftermarket Revolution). The Sidewinder also came with a universal wedge. In retrospect I have been wondering if the universal wedge would be a better option since it has a more pear shape to it with a more rounded front than the Reese specific wedge that is a perfect fit to the Reese receiver. I may try it. Right now I have to be fairly streight to avoid bindig and to get it to latch since it has to fit perfect.

Rod
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Texan View Post
I purchased the specific wedge to fit my Reese hitch when I purchased the Sidewinder(aftermarket Revolution). The Sidewinder also came with a universal wedge. In retrospect I have been wondering if the universal wedge would be a better option since it has a more pear shape to it with a more rounded front than the Reese specific wedge that is a perfect fit to the Reese receiver. I may try it. Right now I have to be fairly streight to avoid bindig and to get it to latch since it has to fit perfect.

Rod
Might be better, the reason I didn't use it was the slots for the attaching bolts. I could have made slugs to fill in the front of the slot, but had the material and didn't care for Reese's sandwiched together design.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #47

Any recommendations on what to use to taper the corners down?
I bet it wasn't easy...

Quote:
I tapered and smoothed/polished the front to match the pin and the polished/smoothed the edges of the chute and the wedge.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #48
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Any recommendations on what to use to taper the corners down?
I bet it wasn't easy...
I have a vertical and a horizontal metal cutting band saws. I cut the wedge length on the horizontal and the shape on the vertical. Rough polished the edges with a table mounted power sanding disc and finished it off with a 4-1/2" dia flapper sanding disc on a Makita 4-1/2" grinder.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #49

Love to see the finished product...any pics?

Quote:
I have a vertical and a horizontal metal cutting band saws. I cut the wedge length on the horizontal and the shape on the vertical. Rough polished the edges with a table mounted power sanding disc and finished it off with a 4-1/2" dia flapper sanding disc on a Makita 4-1/2" grinder.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #50
Mod free 5er

Quote:
When it warms up here in FL, I'll take it off a get some pictures if you remind me tomorrow or the next day with a pm. CRS has been working overtime on me.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #51

Sure thing. Stay warm, we'll be back in the 80's by Friday...

Quote:
When it warms up here in FL, I'll take it off a get some pictures if you remind me tomorrow or the next day with a pm. CRS has been working overtime on me.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #52

Quote:
Hay old man just get out of your chair and take a picture for the guy. I'm playing a small violin for you suffrage sitting in Florida today. It's 9 degrees here for a high today, so quit stroking the guy and show off your work.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #53
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Finally remembered to get some pictures, they're not very good, but you will at least get an idea. The flat plate on the back is the shelf for the moving plate that rests on it and pivots on the tonneau cover when towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01146.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	44824   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01147.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	44825   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01148.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	44826   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01149.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	44827  
Old 01-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #54

I was going to activate mine before I hit the road fulltime in a couple of months. Now I'm having second thoughts. Choices, choices.
Louisiana before, fulltiming since April 11, 2014
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:34 AM   #55

Well, the choice is, of course up to you...
I must say I really like the hitch. We have a short bed truck and it really makes the manoeuvring a lot easier. What I don't like is the hitching/unhitching. I think the idea is good it just needs a bit more work to perfect it. I hope Reese (or whoever it is now) will keep working on it!!

Happy travels.
cachencouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #56

Wow, nice work

Quote:
Finally remembered to get some pictures, they're not very good, but you will at least get an idea. The flat plate on the back is the shelf for the moving plate that rests on it and pivots on the tonneau cover when towing.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #57

There's definitely some work to be done on that wedge. I cringe whenever I need to detach knowing I need to hook up again.
A pin catcher for the Revolution would be nice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachencouple View Post
Well, the choice is, of course up to you...
I must say I really like the hitch. We have a short bed truck and it really makes the manoeuvring a lot easier. What I don't like is the hitching/unhitching. I think the idea is good it just needs a bit more work to perfect it. I hope Reese (or whoever it is now) will keep working on it!!

Happy travels.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:00 AM   #58

hello all, i'm new to this forum. we have had our 8281 ws for 6 months and have only brought it home 100 miles and taken it to storage 14 miles. however, the revolution hitch has been tough for me to hook up to. I thought it was just me. i think i have hooked and unhooked about 5 times to learn the technique. need more experience i guess. as for the pin, mine moves with a firm push.

sam
mountainsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #59

I just found out that my hitch manufacturer (Pro Series 16k) makes a custom wedge for the Revolution. I wonder if it would make hookup any easier?
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Reese/30850.html

Old 02-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #60
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
...as for the pin, mine moves with a firm push.sam
I don't know if it's my homemade wedge or the fact that I raise the pin box just enough that it has to slide up the hitch ramp and raise the pin box about 1/4" max. Have no problems hitching. My pin box will not move without at least a 4'-5' pipe on the end of a pipe wrench. It was checked out in Goshen by the 2 guys from Reese that actually designed it. Said it was good after the completely disassembled it. Re torqued the 1-1/2" nut to 80 lb/ft and then more to the next cotter pin hole that lined up. Love the hitch.