Old 09-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #81
Mod free 5er

Seen a couple of the new factory wedges move. Just something to investigate. The new factory wedges that come with the pinbox only have a one point contact on each side of a round side and are slotted as opposed to a custom wedge which has the length of the wedge contact on both flat sides.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #82

I've only ever seen one wedge and that was my own and it certainly lives up to its name. When the fiver is hooked up, that wedge is wedged in with contact to about half the circumference of the pin and wedged on each side against the reese pro 15k hitch. Worked good for me, but if the OP has problems, I would also suggest checking the torqued bolts. I have read that other frf members use lithium or graphite to grease the pad. I was told early, that grease is not required. I do see some wear in the pad . Maybe that has to be replaced at some point.

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #83
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I've only ever seen one wedge and that was my own and it certainly lives up to its name. When the fiver is hooked up, that wedge is wedged in with contact to about half the circumference of the pin and wedged on each side against the reese pro 15k hitch. Worked good for me, but if the OP has problems, I would also suggest checking the torqued bolts. I have read that other frf members use lithium or graphite to grease the pad. I was told early, that grease is not required. I do see some wear in the pad . Maybe that has to be replaced at some point.
Wedges furnished now are flat where it touches the pin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reese wedge.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	62516  
Old 09-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #84

That's exactly like mine. Guess I'm lucky...
Old 09-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #85
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...with contact to about half the circumference of the pin and wedged on each side against the reese pro 15k hitch. Worked good for me...
Don't see how it can contact half the circumference of the pin and wedged on each side with a flat front and a circular point of contact with the chute of the hitch with the furnished wedge. Guess I'm just dense.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't see how it can contact half the circumference of the pin and wedged on each side with a flat front and a circular point of contact with the chute of the hitch with the furnished wedge. Guess I'm just dense.
Thanks for correcting me. You may be dense but you have a sharp mind.

The front aspect of wedge is actually in full contact with lock bar of my hitch and the sides are wedged against the sides of the hitch
Old 09-10-2014, 02:01 AM   #87

Quote:
Thanks for correcting me. You may be dense but you have a sharp mind.

The front aspect of wedge is actually in full contact with lock bar of my hitch and the sides are wedged against the sides of the hitch
The reason your wedge is working is because they are for Reese hitches only, If you look under the pin box it will give you the correct part # for the wedge needed for the different hitches. I tried to use the universal one and had problems, bought the right one from e-trailer I think it was a SW4/for a Husky 16K installed that and I didn't like the fit(loose) so I made my own. I think it's just a lot of people using the wrong wedge. As far as the noise it is recommend to spray some dry lube between the pad and the hitch. That's about all you can do. If your hitch is not listed under the Revolution you can't use it. I have forgot but there are a few which it will not work with. After it tightens up and it will the only way to spray it is to turn 90 degrees get out and spray it, then turn 90 degrees the other way and get out and spray it, that should take the noise away. hope that helps people on this thread.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #88

I also went out and got a custom wedge for my Pro-Series 16K hitch from E-Trailer. When hooked up, the custom wedge would rest against the hitch on it's weld points. I filed down the spot welds and now the custom wedge fits perfectly. Add a little white lithium and hookup is soooooo much easier now. A custom wedge, whether you make it yourself or purchase one makes a huge difference, IMO.

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #89

Yep, the only wedge that would work with my Hensley BD3 hitch is the one I had made for it, been using it for months now.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Wedges furnished now are flat where it touches the pin.
That's strange that they list a Husky which it will not work correctly with very hard to hitch up, you need a SW4, never saw that print out before. Very Very Strange and confusing. It's almost impossible to use that on a Husky with out all the plants and stars being lined up. Custom is the only way to go. I don't even have to lined up exact, If I get it between the opening the truck will line the hitch up by itself either left or right, I really don't even think about it anymore....I did paint my bar yellow so I can see that the king pin is behind it, made it alot easier on me.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote