Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #1

Reese Revolution with Husky 16k w

I know this has been discussed before but the threads were old and wouldn't let me post. We have a 2018 Rockwood 8280ws. Reese Revolution installed at factory. Husky 16k w with slider installed at dealer. When driving on our maiden voyage the hitch and pin box sounded like a thunder storm. Felt like it too. Lots of up and down bouncing and jerking back and forth. This happened on every bump or rough spot in the road. Railroad tracks were really something crazy. It actually felt like it was broken. Looked at etrailer for info about the hitch. Says it is not compatible with Reese Revolution. ????? Got to researching and found there is supposed to be a wedge if used with Husky. I have pics and I 'think' there is a wedge. What exactly does that do? Could all the clunking, clanging, bucking up and down be caused by that incompatibility? Thanks for your help.
BTW have checked ALL nut, bolts, pins on underside of truck, top side, hitch and head. All tighter than tight.
BTW 2 we have 2008 Ford 250 Super Duty diesel. Put on air bags to help with ride before we even took her out on the road. Any suggestions for the noise??? When the freeway was nice and even it was a pleasant ride. Just afraid the kingpin was going to come out of the hitch. Crazy loud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_20171211_093950391_HDR.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	158117   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_20171211_093633915_HDR.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	158118   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_20171211_093607122_HDR.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	158119  
sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

A couple quick questions before I can answer...
From the photos, it appears you are NOT using the Revolution unlocked (bolts removed so it can pivot) since the stock universal wedge is still attached to the bottom of the Revolution.

It doesn't appear your Husky slider is an auto-slide?
Revolution/Sidewinder pin boxes do not work with 'some' auto-slide hitches as they have a pin box holding mechanism built into them to make the hitch slide. (the hitch plate swivels/rotates)

With what I can see, with the proper wedge for your Husky, (not the universal wedge) your hitch and Revolution should work together. It will need to be unpinned (unbolted) and the wedge installed and adjusted. Your trailer will then pivot 22" farther back and the pin at the hitch will stay stationary.

Do you need the Revolution function for clearance?
Have you ever had to slide your hitch for clearance?

I've owned a slider for 20 years and never have had to slide it.
I also have the Revolution and don't use that function either.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #3

Can you send a pic of your trailer hooked up ? I the 16kw with the roller and my hitch is all the way at it’s lowest setting and yours looks like it’s at its highest. Seems odd for the truck and trailer combo you have. Like I said my hitch is at it’s lowest and kingpin is at it’s highest. Maybe a setup issue as well.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #4

5picker: You are correct, we are not using it in the unlocked position. (Didn't even know it did pivot). And No, it is not an auto slide hitch. We would have to use that handle on the left rear side to move it. So are you saying those pieces on the bottom of the pin head bolted on are the correct wedges? And if so why would we need to unbolt and put in a different one? I don't see that we would need the extra clearance or even need for the slide to slide for more clearance. I did ask etrailer about this and they said.....
The Husky Silver Series 16K W 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch w/ 10-16 Slider - Single Jaw - 16,000 lbs # HT31326-31196 has the same exact issue even though it is a sliding hitch. It is not compatible with your pin box.

The pictures you sent show the universal wedge that works with every compatible hitch. It will work with the Curt hitch I recommended, but when a custom wedge is available, I recommend that because it is designed specifically for that combination to have optimum performance. When using a Revolution pin box, a sliding hitch is not recommended but can be used as long as it remains in the forward towing position.

Let me know if you have further questions. The Sidewinder is the aftermarket version of the OEM Revolution. The information in the attached articles may be of assistance.

So it seems to me he is saying those are universal wedges and the Husky will work with the Revolution as long as the slider stays in the fixed (not slideing back) position. I haven't looked when traveling or turning to see if the pin head pivots on turning. Should it? And if so then I have to 'unlock' the Reese??? Our first 5er so we are not smart about these things yet. Thanks for your help.

So what is happening is that the kingpin head (Reese) is stationary and the Husky is stationary correct? But the Reese can pivot, and the Husky can slide back but the Husky can not slide back with the Reese. So if we keep the Husky in forward position (which is probably going to be the case) do we keep the Reese stationary also or unbolt it an let it pivot??? Is the Reese supposed to pivot at all times? If it is stationary then the kingpin itself just turns in the hitch when cornering right? If that is so then I should probably look on line and find out how to unpin etc. Wish the dealer would have taught us that. NO schooling on the hitch and pin head at all.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #5

jgroff, I will take a pic as soon as I can. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #6

have a look at this link as well. make sure the revolution is locked out right now.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-26490.html.

I'm sure it is but best to confirm. if it is its like a regular kingpin and really shouldnt make much noise. I know my roller clunks when start out quickly from a light but thats it, quiet a mouse running down the road.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #7

I have the same hitch and pin, I bought the whiskey wedge, I think it's a S4 at trailer, who told you it isn't compatible? E trailer will tell you it is, been using mine for 5 years. Your showing the standard wedge, get the custom one unlock the pin box and be on your way

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I have the same hitch and pin, I bought the whiskey wedge, I think it's a S4 at trailer, who told you it isn't compatible? E trailer will tell you it is, been using mine for 5 years. Your showing the standard wedge, get the custom one unlock the pin box and be on your way
Sorry bad phone, should be custom not whiskey

Old 12-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #9

Sorry my other thought is, if you are using the kingpin and hitch like a regular kingpin and hitch. has either been lubricated? I use a lube plate and grease on the pin. maybe you hear that if it isnt.

someone with way more experience then me could shed some light on if that would make noise. metal on metal imo should make ton of noise without any lubrication
Old 12-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #10

jgroff. There are 4 bolt holes. Ours is in the 3rd one down. So not the lowest position but the next one up. Yes, it seems we are using it as a regular kingpin and hitch. Do we still need to use the wedge? It seems that we only need the wedge if we intend to make really tight turns. We have that telfon? disk and also lube with white lithium.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon View Post
jgroff. There are 4 bolt holes. Ours is in the 3rd one down. So not the lowest position but the next one up.
As long as the unit is level, with 6" above the bed rail, it is correct, no matter what anyone does your going to have chucking, starts, stops and bumps on the road. At least to some degree, if you set your break higher so the trailer is stopping you first, it will stop some on stops only.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #12

witchdoctor. The installation manual for the Husky says not compatible with the Reese Revolution. Also etrailer says it is not compatible. I'm thinking that you only need the wedge when you want it to pivot at the turret rather than the pin in hitch. Without the wedge it is like a standard hitch and pin. Etrailer did tell me the Husky is compatible as long as we don't use the slider on the hitch. I wonder why the dealer put in a slider when they should have known it was not compatible? Or at least told us??? Thanks
Old 12-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #13

I guess we'll just use the hitch far forward not slide and keep the wedges where they are stored. Doesn't seem like we need to change the pivot point.
Now for the noise, bucking, jerking, clunking, clanging. Some forums seem to say we should keep more weight on the kingpin. Suggestions included adding water to the fresh tank IF the tank is forward of axles. Our drain for that is right behind the back wheel which doesn't seem like forward of the axle to me. Some suggest adding weight to the storage compartment behind the kingpin and some say the storage area under the bed. Guess we will try that next for the noise.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #14

you are correct with the wedge, you only need it if you use the revolution for its intended use and not a fixed kingpin. if it were me I would use the revolution and buy a custom wedge for it. but if this is a new hitch just purchased from a dealer I would ask them to exchange the slider for fixed legs.

imo husky says its not compatible because of the slider. the pivot point back that far puts alot different stresses on a hitch then a fixed kingpin. just my 2 cents.

have you loaded the trailer for camping ?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yes, you will only use the wedge when you unpin (unbolt) the revolution hitch so it pivots.

The universal wedge simply resides where it is when not using it. If you did choose to use it, it would be remounted up near the king pin.

I can't seem to link videos on my phone tonight but if you Google Reese Revolution videos, you will get a much better understanding of how they work.

I'm disappointed your dealer sold you a 2018 unit and didn't describe the operation of this feature to you. Shame on them.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #16

Thanks jgroff and 5picker. I was able to view videos on YouTube. Sure explained a lot. And with your input I think we understand it now. Yes, we took it out on that maiden voyage. It was only for 2 nights so didn't have a lot of gear loaded. Just the 2 of us old timers. Want to know where we went. Ventura Ranch KOA. Guess where the Thomas fire started. About 500 yards from us. We arrived before the fire began. Went to the beach for sunset, came back, relaxed a bit and neighbor came by to say there was smoke. Fire truck came by just then and told us to evacuate. Said we had 30 minutes. Started buttoning everything down, knew we would just about make it. THEN 5 minutes later same truck came and said NO TIME. LEAVE NOW. We all had to leave our rigs there. Winds came up and fanned the fire to a horrific speed. We just barely made it out. Finally were allowed back in on Saturday. (Got there Monday). Our rig made it. So did many others but about 10 or so did not. We just got lucky. No heat blistering, seals ok, tires ok, no embers burned holes in the roof. Smells like a campfire inside. Tried to get that cleaned out today. That fire has now spread to over 23,000 acres. It was crazy.
Anyway thanks for the information. We will also try a few other things for the noise. We have a rear kitchen so the rear is a little heavy. Will take the rear mounted spare off and store it in the passthru up front, Store all kitchen items in boxes under bed upstairs. Then go get weight to make sure we have the correct amount of pin weight. Several have said that is usually the problem. Will work on that next week.
Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #17

I'm angry that the dealer sold them a slider when their trailer came with the Revolution, unless they requested it. Only need one or the other, not both for a 6' or less truck bed.

The Sidewinder wedges are the same wedges as are used on the Revolution, just easier to find.

If the OP has the husky 16k EZ roller, then this link talks about a custom wedge: https://www.etrailer.com/question-78823.html

If they have 16k S slider, the universal seems to be the advise: https://www.etrailer.com/question-150577.html

Either way, I would call Reese and verify. Also learn about how to use, not use, the Revolution. Lots of detailed video and doc out there.

I would also get the dealer to take the slider back and replace with a much cheaper and lighter standard hitch.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #18

Your right, except that is not a slider hitch, I have the slider and I do not see the wheels or the second lever to engage it, per the picture it is just a 16 k, also on the bottom of the pin it tells you what wedge to use. [emoji319]

Old 12-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon View Post
witchdoctor. The installation manual for the Husky says not compatible with the Reese Revolution. Also etrailer says it is not compatible. I'm thinking that you only need the wedge when you want it to pivot at the turret rather than the pin in hitch. Without the wedge it is like a standard hitch and pin. Etrailer did tell me the Husky is compatible as long as we don't use the slider on the hitch. I wonder why the dealer put in a slider when they should have known it was not compatible? Or at least told us??? Thanks
Are you sure it is a slider, I have the same hitch but a slider, I have used mine for 5 years locked without the slider, I have not used it with the revolution no need. I would check to see if it is an automatic one, but I guarantee it's not a manual slider as mine, no wheels on the frame, no second release arm also. Hope this helps. When I got my trailer with the revolution I already had the hitch, there was no reason at all for me to buy a new hitch.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Your right, except that is not a slider hitch, I have the slider and I do not see the wheels or the second lever to engage it, per the picture it is just a 16 k, also on the bottom of the pin it tells you what wedge to use. [emoji319]
Not to be contrary, but I think I see a second handle toward the front of the hitch, and there is way too much hardware on the bottom to be a stationary.

Also, on the bottom of what pin tells you the wedge?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote