Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #1

Refrigerator not cooling.

Got a question for the experts. My son is using the Windjammer over the 4th holiday. Towed the TT to his house, plugged in the 110 turned on the fridge.In no time the fridge reached temp, stocked it with food. Next morning fridge is hot inside , all the food spoiled. While under 110, the operational light is on, indicating its working, but its not. Decided to use propane, fired it off lights on fridge not blinking you can hear the pilot running. Still not cool. Checked with the rv dealer, of course they are book until late July. They said that it may take 24 hrs for it to cool on propane. There is a possibility the 110 side of the mother board is shot. Question is the TT in his drive was not level front to back. Not off by a lot but the bubble on the level was not touching the center. The fridge may be shot. lucky its under warranty. Could it have been damaged by running it not level. If so will it return to operational after it sits level for a while. All the lights on the front indicate its running, but its not cooling.I did check and there is 110 going to the circuit board. He will work out of coolers this weekend . Kinda long winded I know, any suggestions ??? The dealer said if the fridge was toast, the propane would not stay on. We have made several trips this year with no problems.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #2

refrig?

Make sure battery is on also. needs 12 volt for control relay. did the same on our 3008. found out the same way.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:56 PM   #3

The 12 volt has been on the entire time, it stays on even when hooked up to 110 v. The 12 volt operates the majority of the systems, lights, slides, jacks etc. I just talked with my son earlier, the TT is packed and parked on the road in front of his home. Believe it or not he says that the fridge is getting cold. My question, was it that far out of level that the system shut down both propane and 110 ? and does it have the ability to "fix itself" when level ? Once he gets to his destination I will get him to try it on 110 see what happens. any ideas ??? I don't have an explanation.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
My question, was it that far out of level that the system shut down both propane and 110 ? and does it have the ability to "fix itself" when level ? Once he gets to his destination I will get him to try it on 110 see what happens. any ideas ??? I don't have an explanation.
Not sure how far out of level you can be, but if the gas in the system can't circulate properly it builds up and stops making stuff cold. Doesn't mater weather you are on 110 or propane. Both heat the ammonia in the system to boil it creating the gas. Driving down the road shakes things enough to keep everything working. Do a better job of leveling and see what the result is.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #5

The 110V may be the heater has failed you can test that with multi meter. If the fridge is working now on propane leave it on propane for the weekend they use very little propane. If its working on propane the 12V is fine do the testing when he gets back no reason to risk loosing food and drinks do to warm fridge.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #6

UPDATE : Soon after my son pulled the trailer out of the drive, the fridge started cooling on propane. Ran the fridge on propane to his destination, got set up, then tried it on 110, worked fine. Its been running on 110 for a couple of days now it seems ok. Sailor Sam, I think you hit the nail on the head, probably to far out of level to run , so it shut down. I am just glad it fixed itself. The RV dealer is booked for repairs into August. They have been so busy during this season they started just working on the RV's that was sold by them , only makes sense. You need to take care of your customers first, or get a bigger service dept. Got my fingers crossed it keep working, have several more trips planned. I learned some new . Thanks again for the reply's.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #7

BREAKING NEWS,,the fridge stopped working on 110, it still operates fine on propane. I have a trip planned in a few weeks, I will operate on propane. Then its to the dealer the last of the month for repair. The 110 side has some problem. So being out of total level probably had no impact. At least I still have a fridge. Happy Camping.

Tags
cooling, refrigerator