Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #1

Replace Radio Antenna

Hi
We are loving our new 8289WS so far but the radio reception is terrible.
Think I could get better reception with tin foil, so thinking I will replace the current antenna. (see pic).
Started to take it off and the bottom is TIGHT, assume that is where the cable is hooking up to it, but it is so tight, I can't get the antenna even 1/8" away from the wall. Screw is all the way out, so has to be the coax.
Wondered if anyone else had removed and changed there's?
My only concern with pulling it off is I will never get it back on again if the coax is that short, no way to hold it to push it into new antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(5).JPG
Views:	321
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	77993  
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #2

I replaced a wall plate for my TV and ran into the same thing. I thought the coax was short. What it was , was the coax was coming up from the bottom. I had to tilt the top out and lift up so the coax would clear. It was tight but it came out and there was about a foot and half of coax to work with. maybe that would work.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
Owner/Operator

If it is primarily the FM reception that you want to improve, check out Posts #17 and #19 of this thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-36212-2.html

This will not improve the AM reception. Just the FM and Weather.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
Hi
Think I could get better reception with tin foil, so thinking I will replace the current antenna. (see pic).
Started to take it off and the bottom is TIGHT, assume that is where the cable is hooking up to it, but it is so tight, I can't get the antenna even 1/8" away from the wall. Screw is all the way out, so has to be the coax.
My only concern with pulling it off is I will never get it back on again if the coax is that short, no way to hold it to push it into new antenna.
Would like to do the same. Please keep us updated!
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #5

Went and bought just a normal car antenna replacement. Plugged it in and it is better, not what it should be, but is better.
A little red neck engineering and have it stuck in the cabinet behind the radio unit.
Will probably end up doing the tv antenna mod to get it really good. But at least now, we can pick up the stations that are less than 10 miles away.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
Hi
I'm having the same problem- but looking at your picture, it looks like the antenna pulls out like the old fashioned car ones used to do. Maybe I need to pull mine out?
RangeMaggotBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #7

I had the same problem and one of these forums suggested to hook up the radio to tv antennae on the roof using this adapter Motorola to F Connector 36'' Cable | 10TV110 | Distributed By MCM. I installed it this past weekend and I went from no reception at all to 10 stations up in Pittsburg NH. Best $10 I've spent on the camper.

2013 Rockwood 8289WS
2017 F350 6.7 PS extra cab long bed
Curt G25 hitch
Days camping 2016 - 26
canterburyshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #8

An update. Had the techs at Goshen replace the side mounted radio antenna with the same. FM and weather reception improved slightly but was poor. AM reception was non existent. The techs indicated the only viable solution is to connect the radio to the TV antenna (or abandon the side mounted and put one on the roof). They even brought the adapter cable and another splitter!! Ended up disconnecting the TV cable that leads to the unused front compartment connecting the radio to the installed splitter. (I had the adapter cable). No need for another splitter. Excellent FM and weather.

They indeed try to please!!
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #9

Mine is the same, we have an 8289WS and no radio reception anywhere, anytime. It's gone back to the selling dealer with a list of things to fix and the radio was one of them.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #10

I did the Radio mod after reading what RodeoGeorge did and it brought in so many clear FM stations and the weather band. Never listen to AM anyway, so happy with such a simple mod.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, antenna