Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
Replacement flooring in an 8280 5th wheel

The carpet in our 2012 8280 signature Ultra Lite needs replacing. New carpet is one option but would require getting the slide carpet bound on the overhang piece. That could be a problem. My other option is to install an interlocking vinyl plank flooring but I understand that temperature variances may result in expansion and contraction problems. We are in Ontario so the temperature can get as high as +80 F in the summer and as low as -25 F in the winter. Has anyone had experience with vinyl in these kind of temperature conditions? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Vern
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #2

Most MFGs of floating floors recommend the you leave a gap at the edges of the floor to allow for expansion. The gap in normally covered up with something like quarter round. I put allure in my winnie and experienced not problems with hot desert temps (black rock desert) or cold Idaho winters.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Most MFGs of floating floors recommend the you leave a gap at the edges of the floor to allow for expansion. The gap in normally covered up with something like quarter round. I put allure in my winnie and experienced not problems with hot desert temps (black rock desert) or cold Idaho winters.
Thank you Seadog for your reply. That is exactly the info I needed. One question..does the size of the gap depend on the width or length of the total floor or is say a 1/4 inch on all sides enough ? Also does the expansion and contraction occur in the length of the planks or in the width or both? Sorry for all the questions but I do not want to have to do it twice. Vern
Old 02-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #4

Boy that really depends on the MFG I got the allure from Home Depot and can't remember the actual spacing I think it was something like 1/8 inch on all sides but don't quote me on that. check out some different MFGs and read their install specs. good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Boy that really depends on the MFG I got the allure from Home Depot and can't remember the actual spacing I think it was something like 1/8 inch on all sides but don't quote me on that. check out some different MFGs and read their install specs. good luck
Thank you. I will check out the manufacturers recommendations.. Have a great day Vern
Old 02-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #6

Leaving the gap and covering it with a 1/4 round makes the installation easier, and look better, too. So win-win-win.
captaindomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

Personaly i would use vinyl, due to my work i went inside a lot of rv's in Quebec ca. The extreme difference of temperature and hi humidity will affect the flooring you are looking at. The specs that are writen on the paquage is for house use only. In vinyl products you have click on and glue on , the second is used mostly in stores and restaurants . With up to a 30 years garanty. And considering that the vinyl is easier to install.

Make a wise choice and give us an update.

Bonne chance
Lappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

Flooring Replacement

The sheet vinyl flooring in my old toyhauler split, cracked and curled over the course of a Montana winter. An unhappy surprise when we opened up the rig that spring! I Replaced it with Allure planks - they were much more durable than any of the sheet vinyl products I looked at, and the floor prep was minimal. It helped that I had a jigsaw for some of the objects I had to lay the flooring around, but the end result was beautiful, and as was mentioned earlier - Quarter Round on the sides lets it expand and contract. Good luck with your project!
40 days out 2018

Illegitmi Non Carborundum
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #9

Northern Ontario here. DH did the flooring on our motorhome three years ago. He pulled out the carpet and original vinyl and did the whole thing in sheet vinyl. We bought a roll end of high quality vinyl. He made a paper template using a roll of packing paper and then cut the vinyl. He installed it using the floating method discussed and nailed in very small quarter-round. It looks amazing, is so easy to maintain and is standing up well. He said it was not difficult just finicky especially pulling the million or so staples holding the carpet down. Good luck with your project!.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #10

Hi all,
just jumping in here with a question, do you pull the old vinyl out or leave it? Worried about the added weight. Thanks
LEXINGTON2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #11

Just a side note. This was discussed in another thread and it was stated the flooring manufacturers stated not to install in an RV due to temperature swings.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #12

This topic is near and dear to my heart because the carpet in the slide and bedroom of our 2011 Wildcat 28RKS is getting " wor" and I'm thinking of replacing it with a hard floor covering of some type. The vast majority of our camping is provincial park camping so lots of the outside gets tracked in! My challenge is how to best finish the edge of the slide to get a factory look to it. Any one accomplished this and do you have detailed pictures to share.
Thank you
Filterman
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #13

Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXINGTON2004 View Post
Hi all,
just jumping in here with a question, do you pull the old vinyl out or leave it? Worried about the added weight. Thanks
DH removed the old vinyl, carpet, about 10,000 staples and a pound or two of sand and grunge that was under the old carpet. No matter how good your vacuum or how often you clean it still gets under there.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
This topic is near and dear to my heart because the carpet in the slide and bedroom of our 2011 Wildcat 28RKS is getting " wor" and I'm thinking of replacing it with a hard floor covering of some type. The vast majority of our camping is provincial park camping so lots of the outside gets tracked in! My challenge is how to best finish the edge of the slide to get a factory look to it. Any one accomplished this and do you have detailed pictures to share.
Thank you
Filterman
DH used angle trim. He used aluminum but says wood or plastic would work too. If I can get through the snow tomorrow I'll take a picture.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #15

This whole question poses a quandary. On the one hand some members say that they have installed it successfully with no problems and on the other, manufacturers say don't do it. A plank flooring also causes a challenge when dealing with the slide. How do you handle the "overlap"?
The more I think about it and to reduce installation and longer term challenges, new carpet may be the best alternative. I'll just cut out the slide carpet in the slide and have a new piece cut and bound on the edge and also use the old main carpet as a template to cut the new.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #16

Replace Carpet in Slide

Did this on my 2005 Wildcat 5th Wheel. Went to carpet store and bought room sized rug with sewn in edge binding. Worked like a charm, used old carpet as template.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170402_170152826.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	162218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170409_133108043.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	162219  
2013 Ford F-150 XTR 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow Package
2022 Flagstaff MicroLite 25FKBS