Old 08-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #1

Replacing Coleman-Mach with Honeywell

I've searched this forum, RV.net, and the internet in general, and find lots of specifics for Coleman-Mach to Hunter conversions, but not for Coleman-Mach to Honeywell.

On our last 5er I very easily took out the Coleman-Mach manual thermostat and replaced it with a digital Hunter (Wal Mart) using step by step info I got on RV.net. We loved it!

With our new 5er (Rockwood 8265) I decided to make the same change again (although I have to admit this Coleman-Mach is MUCH more responsive than the other one was) but this time I wanted to add some programmability so I can set the heater to come on just before it is time to get up and make coffee in the morning

I bought a Honeywell unit at Home Depot the other day (model RTH221B) that looks like it should do the trick, but now I'm not sure how to hook up the wires...OK, or whether it will even work at all for that matter

The Coleman-Mach has 6 wires, all hooked up; Red, yel, wht, gray, grn, blu. The Honeywell has screws for B,O,G,Y,W,R and Rc (with a metal jumper between the R and Rc). We do have a dual level fan currently, but we really only need/use one.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #2

I found this great (attached) wire by wire description of the Coleman, now I just need the counterpart for the Honeywell.

Although this isn't the actual unit from our rig (since ours is manual), but I ASSUME the connections would be the same.

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thermostat.pdf (19.4 KB, 664 views)

Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by calberry View Post
I found this great (attached) wire by wire description of the Coleman, now I just need the counterpart for the Honeywell.

Although this isn't the actual unit from our rig (since ours is manual), but I ASSUME the connections would be the same.

Steve
Don't know if this will help you or not.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Hunter Digital Thermostat Installation.doc (189.0 KB, 334 views)
Old 08-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Don't know if this will help you or not.
Thanks, but that is for a Hunter, I need basically the same thing but for a Honeywall.

Steve
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Thanks, but that is for a Hunter, I need basically the same thing but for a Honeywall.

Steve
Did you not get an instruction manual for the Honeywell?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Honeywell model RTH221B.pdf (1.89 MB, 354 views)
Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Did you not get an instruction manual for the Honeywell?
Yes, there's instructions, but the color of the wires in the trailer don't match the color scheme shown by Honeywell. As an example, Honeywell calls for an orange...and there is no orange in the trailer.

Steve
Old 08-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Yes, there's instructions, but the color of the wires in the trailer don't match the color scheme shown by Honeywell. As an example, Honeywell calls for an orange...and there is no orange in the trailer.

Steve
According to pg 6 of the instructions I attached for the Honeywell model RTH221B, there is only G, W, Y & R.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
According to pg 6 of the instructions I attached for the Honeywell model RTH221B, there is only G, W, Y & R.
Yup, I saw that, and after seeing it is when I got confused

Why do they provide a screw for the O if it is not needed? (do they just use a generic template for all models and this one doesn't need an O...perhaps) And then why does the Coleman use 6 wires when this one indicates (page 6) it only needs 4?

Thanks for the input!!!

Steve
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Yup, I saw that, and after seeing it is when I got confused

Why do they provide a screw for the O if it is not needed? (do they just use a generic template for all models and this one doesn't need an O...perhaps) And then why does the Coleman use 6 wires when this one indicates (page 6) it only needs 4?

Thanks for the input!!!

Steve
That thermostat is for a multitude of units, some have heatpumps, some have oil/gas burners, etc. If you are hunting a thermostat that is strictly for your unit with only connections for your unit, I fear you are going to be hunting for a long time unless you can talk Coleman into fabricating a custom programmable one for your unit. Good Luck with that one.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
That thermostat is for a multitude of units, some have heatpumps, some have oil/gas burners, etc. If you are hunting a thermostat that is strictly for your unit with only connections for your unit, I fear you are going to be hunting for a long time unless you can talk Coleman into fabricating a custom programmable one for your unit. Good Luck with that one.
Well, let's not be putting words in my mouth

I would suggest that a trailer ought to be simpler than a house (basic heater, A/C and fan). And the trailer, and the Coleman thermostat has, and uses, 6 wires.

The Honeywell comes with 8 screws for 8 potential wires (including one screw that says "Do not use") So right out of the chute I wonder how 8 (or 7) can equal 6. But then the instructions say to use only 4 wires...so now 4=6. New math?

Matching the Honeywell instructions (use the G, Y, W, R) back to the Coleman schematic; G=High Fan, Y=compressor, W=Heat, and R = 12vdc pos. The 2 unused wires are the Blu = vdc neg, and Gray = Low fan. Don't need low fan, and don't know what vdv new does anyway

Am I getting close?

Steve