Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to gwenlock
Question Replacing Tires

We have an 07 8314SS Rockwood Ultra Lite and need to replace the tires. What's the best replacement recommendations, radials or non-radials?
gwenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #2

I like the Maxxis brand.
Make sure whatever you get is a TRAILER tire, which has a thicker sidewall and is built to handle the weight.
When we got out Flagstaff the first thing we did was to trade the 6 ply tire on it for 10-ply Maxxis. That way I don't worry about running 70 MPH and blowing a tire.

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
Knower of Some Things

goodyear marathon radial
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #4

I will be watching here because I'm planning to replace the stock China made tires with something a little better and more reliable.

I do like Maxxis
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

bought four new Goodyear Marathon ST225/75R/15 Load Range D range tires Friday. They needed to be special ordered and a bit pricey, but WTH. My family and I are riding on those tires.

Oh BTW, the ones that came in were made in the good old USA!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #6

Just upgraded to Goodyear Marathons from the 'made in China' tires that came with my 09 Rockwood 8319SS. We are embarking on a 9,000 km trek across america to Mississippi from Northern Alberta so I wanted some good rubber on the road. Also repacked the bearings which I'm told is a good idea after two years of use. The tires, with nitro, and the bearing job cost me just over $900 (CDN) at Fountain Tire. The owner of the shop tells me he's been using Marathons on his RV for years, never a lick of problem with them. I hope for the same.
Fort Kent Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Kent Dad View Post
Just upgraded to Goodyear Marathons from the 'made in China' tires that came with my 09 Rockwood 8319SS. We are embarking on a 9,000 km trek across america to Mississippi from Northern Alberta so I wanted some good rubber on the road. Also repacked the bearings which I'm told is a good idea after two years of use. The tires, with nitro, and the bearing job cost me just over $900 (CDN) at Fountain Tire. The owner of the shop tells me he's been using Marathons on his RV for years, never a lick of problem with them. I hope for the same.
Thanks for the tire upgrade information. How many miles did you have on the origianal tires before you decided to upgrade them?

Have a safe enjoyable trip south.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #8

I can't wait to buy another set of Greenballs. I love the way they tow and wear.

I am done with Goodyears mushy sidewalls.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
I can't wait to buy another set of Greenballs. I love the way they tow and wear.

I am done with Goodyears mushy sidewalls.

I put Maxxis Load range D on my 2010 8281SS, replaced the LR C Duro's that I didn't trust. Same thing I noticed with the Maxxis with the approx. same PSI as the Duro's, the Maxxis don't look as mushy as the Duro's. I would think that lots of flex in the sidewall = heat

2010 Rockwood 8281SS Signature Ultra Light
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
I like the Maxxis brand.
Make sure whatever you get is a TRAILER tire, which has a thicker sidewall and is built to handle the weight.
When we got out Flagstaff the first thing we did was to trade the 6 ply tire on it for 10-ply Maxxis. That way I don't worry about running 70 MPH and blowing a tire.
6 ply or 10 ply, I believe ST tires are only rated for 65 mph. If you are running 70 mph, I hope you are running something rated for that speed.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Kent Dad View Post
Just upgraded to Goodyear Marathons from the 'made in China' tires that came with my 09 Rockwood 8319SS.
The Marathons on my 2008 Surveyor were made in China. I understand that Goodyear has moved some production back to the USA, but it is no guarantee that what you have was manufactured here. Check the DOT code to see where they are made.

The 1st 2 digits after DOT indicate where they are made:

http://www.tire-information-world.com/dot-location.html

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #12

What is the DOT date on your Duro tires,and do you have a guestimate on miles driven? Trying to see if I can get two years out of my original equipment.
Thank you
Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush View Post
What is the DOT date on your Duro tires,and do you have a guestimate on miles driven? Trying to see if I can get two years out of my original equipment.
Thank you
If you are referring to my post, mine were made in sept 09 i believe. Reason I took them off was that when I picked up the trailer...all of them were underinflated, and one had a slow leak...which turned out to be a staple, that I assume was picked up at the factory. So who knows, the unit could have been transported to canada with low tires, which i think would have stressed them. I think they are under rated for my trailer, and I don't trust generic 'china-bombs' as everyone calls them. For me the near $500 for an upgrade is worth it for piece of mind, and reduced risk of blowing out and causing thousands of dollars in damage. As they say 'your mileage may vary'

Old 08-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #14

I have known more people personally that have had tire failures on American tires then foreign tires.

Just saying, take it fwiw.

To remove perfectly good tires that show no signs of defects seams a little ridiculous to me.

The most improtant thing in the end, is to do whatever makes you trust your equipment.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
I have known more people personally that have had tire failures on American tires then foreign tires.

Just saying, take it fwiw.

To remove perfectly good tires that show no signs of defects seams a little ridiculous to me.

The most improtant thing in the end, is to do whatever makes you trust your equipment.
I totally agree with this... nothing to say that the ones I put one couldn't fail. If I felt better about their history, I would have left them on for at least a couple of seasons regardless of their pedigree. Also if we had someone locally that handled Duro's and associated warranty work if needed would have been a factor to consider.

My previous TT had Duro's on them and I noticed the sidewalls had major cracks on them. I noticed this the day after I picked it up from the dealer... yes I did a PDI, but didn't check the condition of the tires, as one would expect they would be fine on a new TT. The dealer had no problem exchanging them (probably threw them on another TT, to some unsuspecting customer)...but if the dealer would have said I was out of luck and had to go to Duro...it would have been a major pain to ship them back to the U.S. as there is no Canadian dealer / rep for them (as far as I could find) for warranty replacement.

Problem is that in my 'real job' it is my job to identify points of failure and reduce the risk of failures... so yes I do look under my bed every night

Old 08-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #16

I plan on watching my Duro Tires over the next year or so. They have a build date of Sep 2009. I will maintain 50 psi and watch fo rany iseeus. At that point I will decide.
I do plan a few 600 mile trips before my 6,000 mile trip in spring 2011.

Oh did you know that Duro tires have a speed rating code N.
That is 87 mph max.

Email from Duro
John,
The speed rating for our ST trailer radial tires is "N" or 87 mph. But please always remember - you are pulling a trailer and are heavy so use additional caution - especially with your speed.

Best regards,
Carey Bryan
Duro Tire and Wheel
Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 AM   #17

I have one Duro tire on my trailer that has a bulge on the sidewall. Waiting for what my dealer plans on doing for me. This is on a 2010 model.
swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by swayze View Post
I have one Duro tire on my trailer that has a bulge on the sidewall. Waiting for what my dealer plans on doing for me. This is on a 2010 model.
How many miles do you have on the tires?
Are all the other tires still Duro's?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #19

The date codes on my Goodyear Marathons range from late '01 to mid '02. Since my TT is a 2003 model I assume they are original tires. I'm a month away from a 1600 mile trip. I plan to replace them before I go on this trip, as I read the tires have a max lifetime of 5 years.
I think I will probably go with Marathon ST tires again. Thought about LT tires because STs carry a max speed of 65 mph.
Any thoughts....anyone?
Thanks!

2017 Rockwood Ultra Lite Signature 8289WS
2005 F-250 Super Duty diesel
Pourme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourme View Post
The date codes on my Goodyear Marathons range from late '01 to mid '02. Since my TT is a 2003 model I assume they are original tires. I'm a month away from a 1600 mile trip. I plan to replace them before I go on this trip, as I read the tires have a max lifetime of 5 years.
I think I will probably go with Marathon ST tires again. Thought about LT tires because STs carry a max speed of 65 mph.
Any thoughts....anyone?
Thanks!
Sounds like a good plan to me. I must agree that a 5 year old trailer tire is normal life expectancy. Many think it is like a car tire . If the tread is still deep enough it is still good. Not so with trailer tires as they have harder rubber and actually never wear out the tread.
That's what the experts say and I would agree as a consumer.

Tags
rockwood