Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #11

We have a Rockwood 8315BSS Ultra lite. I thought that I could winterize it easily.
I cannot get it to draw the antifreeze through the outside inlet. Am I missing a valve somewhere. There are 3 under the sink..Right angle for hot and cold to heater and in line for the bypass. I took out the filter and turned one valve going into it. I tried it both ways. Is it supposed to be on [ in line with the tube ] or off [ at a right angle]
After spending several hours I gave up thoroughly frustrated. I also checked to make sure the potable water spigget was turned to of AND checked the low water tubes [ red and blue ones]. How long do you run the pump before turning on a sink? Do you have to have a special tube to attach to draw the antifreeze. I used a hose in a wider mouth bottle. HELP please

Old 09-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

I posted this pdf a year or so ago that my dealer sends out to all their customers every fall as part of their reminders to keep our trailers in top shape.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winterizing.pdf (228.3 KB, 841 views)

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #13

Thank you
Old 09-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #14

Interesting raccoon picture. I just fought a 2 week battle in my yard due to grubs.
I caught 3 coons, 2 possums, and 2 squirrels. Finally I used Dylon which kills grubs in 24 hours. Thanks again
Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECREC View Post
Interesting raccoon picture. I just fought a 2 week battle in my yard due to grubs.
I caught 3 coons, 2 possums, and 2 squirrels. Finally I used Dylon which kills grubs in 24 hours. Thanks again
Thanks,

They were our babies, lived with us and even slept with us for 5 1/2 years. The female would curl up with the DW and purr like no cat you have ever heard and the male would spleep with me, he would have night mares and wake me up crying and shaking and I would have to hold him till he was ok. They would wrestle with our Rottie and he would come walking into the living room with a Racoon hanging off his neck.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #16

Winterization & De-winterization Insructions

As a "newbie" myself and having purchased my first ever travel trailer (a Rockwood 8311SS) over this past summer, I posted the above request approximately one month ago and received some good advice from a Senior member (a.k.a. mike54). Notwithstanding his advisement, I also attended a free winterizing seminar at a local dealer (see scanned document entitled “Winterization Seminar") and was able to obtain even more information. With that being said, I just winterized my trailer last weekend and found the antifreeze inlet (which utilizes the water pump) to be fast and easy. I have included some pictures (I took them months ago in order to ensure that I understood the system), which show valves for the hot water heater and antifreeze/fresh water inlets in the "summer" positions. Some additional points from the seminar (not listed on the document) are that I had to purchase a hand pump in order to ensure that antifreeze was pump from the outside "Sewer Tank Flusher" inlet into the black water tank, your awning should be washed with an approved cleaner (I used mild dish detergent with a soft wash broom) and should be thoroughly rinsed and dried prior to rolling it up, the fridge and freezer should be defrosted and dry and the doors should be open a crack (my main Norco fridge has tab locks that slide out to keep it open; the "bar" fridge in the outside kitchen did not, so I placed a tea towel to keep it slightly ajar), you should remove anything with a scent (i.e. food, spices, soap) and take the portable BBQ home as there still may be residual odours. I placed some Bounce sheets (in an open container inside the trailer) and some rodent traps/bait under the trailer about four months ago (the bait still has not been touched), you should pull up your stabilizers (in our region, it can get down to minus 40 degrees Celsius and there is always the danger of the ground heaving - a.k.a. "frost heaves") and finally it is not recommended that you tarp your trailer, as no matter how tight you cinch it down, the odds are that it will come loose and damage your paint on your trailer (I am on a seasonal site by a lake). By no means am I an expert, but as a person with a type "A" personality, I like to research everything thoroughly. Good luck and take care. Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winterization Seminar.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	19955   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02661.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	19956   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02662.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	19957   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02665.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	19958  
Old 09-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #17

remaining winerization questions

I read through all of the posts, and still have a couple of questions... hope I did not miss the answers --- not here to waste anyone's time!

Question 1: I was going to ask about the waste tank flush line. The last poster indicated that he bought a hand pump to pump antifreeze into that line from outside connection. Is this a pump specifically for this application (and likely only avialble at rv parts supplier), or is it avaialble elsewhere? Also, does anyone know of any other method?

Question 2: When I start my winterization process I drain my gray tank, my blank tank, my fresh tank, and my low point drains. I then close all of them before I start winterizing. After I complete my winterization process (antifreeze method), I then redrain my gray and blank tanks. I am confused whether I should also redrain my low point drains. I know this would drain my lines of anitfreeze, but the traps and any other spots in the lines where liquid gets trapped would still have antifreeze in them. Thoughts?

Thanks for any insight that you can provide.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lahner View Post
As a "newbie" myself and having purchased my first ever travel trailer (a Rockwood 8311SS) over this past summer, I posted the above request approximately one month ago and received some good advice from a Senior member (a.k.a. mike54). Notwithstanding his advisement, I also attended a free winterizing seminar at a local dealer (see scanned document entitled “Winterization Seminar") and was able to obtain even more information. With that being said, I just winterized my trailer last weekend and found the antifreeze inlet (which utilizes the water pump) to be fast and easy. I have included some pictures (I took them months ago in order to ensure that I understood the system), which show valves for the hot water heater and antifreeze/fresh water inlets in the "summer" positions. Some additional points from the seminar (not listed on the document) are that I had to purchase a hand pump in order to ensure that antifreeze was pump from the outside "Sewer Tank Flusher" inlet into the black water tank, your awning should be washed with an approved cleaner (I used mild dish detergent with a soft wash broom) and should be thoroughly rinsed and dried prior to rolling it up, the fridge and freezer should be defrosted and dry and the doors should be open a crack (my main Norco fridge has tab locks that slide out to keep it open; the "bar" fridge in the outside kitchen did not, so I placed a tea towel to keep it slightly ajar), you should remove anything with a scent (i.e. food, spices, soap) and take the portable BBQ home as there still may be residual odours. I placed some Bounce sheets (in an open container inside the trailer) and some rodent traps/bait under the trailer about four months ago (the bait still has not been touched), you should pull up your stabilizers (in our region, it can get down to minus 40 degrees Celsius and there is always the danger of the ground heaving - a.k.a. "frost heaves") and finally it is not recommended that you tarp your trailer, as no matter how tight you cinch it down, the odds are that it will come loose and damage your paint on your trailer (I am on a seasonal site by a lake). By no means am I an expert, but as a person with a type "A" personality, I like to research everything thoroughly. Good luck and take care. Brian
Thanks for the post. Big Question. Your TT has the Antifreeze Inlet as does mine. Why did you not use this? Does it change the process. Are there still 2 valves near the water pump that need turned to use the antifreeze inlet? tks
Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #19

I would recommend that you thoroughly read my post and review the pictures that I provided, as you will see that your inquiry will be answered...
Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lahner View Post
I would recommend that you thoroughly read my post and review the pictures that I provided, as you will see that your inquiry will be answered...
Who's question is answered. Not mine as your pics have your hose connected to the city water inlet and not the anti-freeze inlet. Tks