Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12
That picture was taken strictly to illustrate where the Antifreeze inlet was located. I can see how someone could get confused if they did not take everything in its entirety (i.e the combination of my text/pictures and responses from other members within the thread). Regardless, enough of this bantering as I am sure that people have more important posts, which require answering. Take care.
__________________

__________________
Brian Lahner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
cllecr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 104
We are also winterizing for the first time and I came back here to review this thread. We do not have an antifreeze inlet siphon hose off the water pump (one dealer told us it would be over $100 to have one installed), so we poured the antifreeze into the fresh water tank and pumped it through the system from there, being sure to open all taps including inside and outside showers.

I did not see anything saying to redrain the tanks, assumed it would be good to have some antifreeze in each?

The only other glitch was not being able to get the anode rod out of the water heater ...assume that is necessary to completely drain it!
__________________

__________________
Scott and Carol
2011 Sunseeker 2300
Life is an adventure!
new to us RV owners April 2012
2012- 100+ days camping + Panama cruise
2013- 60 nights in our RV so far (as of Aug 1)
cllecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllecr View Post
We are also winterizing for the first time and I came back here to review this thread. We do not have an antifreeze inlet siphon hose off the water pump (one dealer told us it would be over $100 to have one installed), so we poured the antifreeze into the fresh water tank and pumped it through the system from there, being sure to open all taps including inside and outside showers.

I did not see anything saying to redrain the tanks, assumed it would be good to have some antifreeze in each?

The only other glitch was not being able to get the anode rod out of the water heater ...assume that is necessary to completely drain it!
I would say by pouring A/F in F/W tank and using the pump without draining the H/W tank you have wasted your time,and Diluted the A/F in the F/w system. Remove plug in heater,bypass and try agin,with a adaptor on the suction side of the water pump! Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
cllecr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 104
We have the water heater bypass in place so no water going to or from it into the plumbing....correct? We assumed that if we got the correct socket wrench (1 1/16" apparently, although we could not find this in the manual)....we could remove the anode and any remaining water would drain from the water heater at and from that point? Am I missing something? How would it dilute the system?
__________________
Scott and Carol
2011 Sunseeker 2300
Life is an adventure!
new to us RV owners April 2012
2012- 100+ days camping + Panama cruise
2013- 60 nights in our RV so far (as of Aug 1)
cllecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
Jmjtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllecr View Post
We have the water heater bypass in place so no water going to or from it into the plumbing....correct? We assumed that if we got the correct socket wrench (1 1/16" apparently, although we could not find this in the manual)....we could remove the anode and any remaining water would drain from the water heater at and from that point? Am I missing something? How would it dilute the system?
I too used the FW tank with pump to circulate RV antifreeze. I used it for several years and never had a problem. I had to use vise-grips and then used a crescent wrench to break it loose. Seemed too tight from dealer. I want to get the siphon sometime and try that. It seems to be the preferred method by many veteran RVers. Good luck!
__________________
Jmjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
Jmjtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmjtx View Post

I too used the FW tank with pump to circulate RV antifreeze. I used it for several years and never had a problem. I had to use vise-grips and then used a crescent wrench to break it loose. Seemed too tight from dealer. I want to get the siphon sometime and try that. It seems to be the preferred method by many veteran RVers. Good luck!
Oops, used vise grips on anode rode.
__________________
Jmjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmjtx View Post
I too used the FW tank with pump to circulate RV antifreeze. I used it for several years and never had a problem. I had to use vise-grips and then used a crescent wrench to break it loose. Seemed too tight from dealer. I want to get the siphon sometime and try that. It seems to be the preferred method by many veteran RVers. Good luck!
I am getting out of this Post,Vise Grips,Pink in F/W tank,I will get back in the Post in the spring? Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmjtx View Post
Oops, used vise grips on anode rode.
If you got it out; replace it. Once the flats on the anode are damaged you will just make it worse trying to get it out next time.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Capt. Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Franklin County, MO
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllecr View Post
We are also winterizing for the first time and I came back here to review this thread. We do not have an antifreeze inlet siphon hose off the water pump (one dealer told us it would be over $100 to have one installed), so we poured the antifreeze into the fresh water tank and pumped it through the system from there, being sure to open all taps including inside and outside showers.

I did not see anything saying to redrain the tanks, assumed it would be good to have some antifreeze in each?

The only other glitch was not being able to get the anode rod out of the water heater ...assume that is necessary to completely drain it!

The Camco 36543 RV Pump Converter Winterizing Kit is available on Amazon.com for $14.95. Installation is very simple - it goes in the line on the freshwater tank (inlet) side of the water pump, and takes only a few minutes to install, depending on how easy your pump is to access. Once installed, it remains in place permanently, so next year's winterization is very easy. We put one on our boat and could do the entire water system (two heads, transom shower,galley and ice maker) with just a couple of gallons of "pink", in a very short time. I can see a dealer charging $100 bucks for the part and installation, but it is really very easy to install.

You do need to by-pass the water heater, get the annode out (1 1/16" socket with about a 3" extension) and drain out any anti-freeze that has gotten in there before you turn the water heater back on next year. That rotten-egg smell that sometimes gets in the water system is from bacteria, and heating that anti-freeze seems to either cause it or, certainly, makes it worse.

Mike
__________________
Mike and Yvonne
and Sophie, the little white dog
2017 Columbus 320RSC
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
cllecr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post

The Camco 36543 RV Pump Converter Winterizing Kit is available on Amazon.com for $14.95. Installation is very simple - it goes in the line on the freshwater tank (inlet) side of the water pump, and takes only a few minutes to install, depending on how easy your pump is to access. Once installed, it remains in place permanently, so next year's winterization is very easy. We put one on our boat and could do the entire water system (two heads, transom shower,galley and ice maker) with just a couple of gallons of "pink", in a very short time. I can see a dealer charging $100 bucks for the part and installation, but it is really very easy install.

Mike
Excellent. Since we are heading home now, we will have a mailing address we can access so I could order this and install it before we need it again. Can be challenging finding such things on the road.

Am I going to need any special equipment to dewinterize?
__________________

__________________
Scott and Carol
2011 Sunseeker 2300
Life is an adventure!
new to us RV owners April 2012
2012- 100+ days camping + Panama cruise
2013- 60 nights in our RV so far (as of Aug 1)
cllecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.