Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 05:59 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith954 View Post
I have a new FW with the revolution pin and a Reese Titan hitch - I have a terrible time hooking and unhooking-- Just removed standard lube plate that came with the Titan and ordered the custom wedge- Any comments would be appreciated !

Hello
Good removing the lube plate. I know they cause issues.
As far as the wedge a custom wedge is the best solution. I tied and used universal wedge for 2 years. Worked just fine then I had issues. Ordered the custom one and all as better. I find on my hitch (others will differ) I need to make sure I glide up more that normal with a regular hitch. Leave the pin box lower. Grease is important and make sure the wedge has some play. If pushed all the any forward in the throat it never will hitch easily. I backs mine off 3/16 to 1/4 of a inch. This works well for me. I also try to make sure I am straight on when hitching.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #22

Well - thanks everyone for your input.
I lubed the heck out of it the best I could while on vacation with spray white lithium grease.
Left last cg this am and we were very pleasantly surprised with no screahing.
NavigatorC130A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #23

This is what the instructions are in the instruction manual. I have done this once in almost three years, a huge improvement.

"Tear down and inspect annually. Repair or replace any wore items. When reassembling use lithium on the wear plate, wear bushing, and bearing. Tighten large castle nut to a minimum of 80 ft. lbs. and then tighten to nearest through hole for cotter pin installation."
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #24

Reese Relolution 10K noise

My 2014 Rockwood with the 10K Revolution (part #VHD-10K22SW) king pin started making noise also got to the point it couldn't be turned by hand. Everyone from dealership to forums were saying the only maintenance was lubing the back of pin and sides of wedge. There is two sentences in the Reese owners manual that says it must be torn down and inspected annually. Repair or replace parts. You'll need a 2 1/4" socket and a lot of elbow grease to do it. It took me about 3-4 hours to drop mine off the pivot shaft because it was so bound up. I found that the wear plate and wear disc were worn. I called Cequent Preformance (Reese) told tech support what I found and they sent out replacement parts for free. After reassembling and lubing all pivot points I can now rotate hitch by hand.
tom5574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #25

Mind sharing the phone number?
NavigatorC130A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #26

Reese Relolution 10K noise

Hi Navigator if you have the same king pin on your 5th wheel as I do Google Reese VHD-10K22SW Operating Instructions you should see a site listed as PDF Operating Instruction at forestriverforum.com. It's the manual for the sidewinder on my 2014 Rockwood 8280ws. It will show a break down picture with all parts listed. According to tech support at Cequent (Reese) there should be no wear to wear plate, wear disc or pivot bushings. The wear plate and disc on mine were grooved and embedded with what appeared to be metal chips. The pivot bushing was also grooved from the hardened grease from shaft. The Phone # at Cequent is 1-888-521-0510. I called them on 8/31/16 and parts arrived on 9/2/16. Have fun disassembling hitch it's heavy. I used my truck tailgate, blocks and the trailers front landing gears. Once I got hitch to rotate a little I kept loosening large castle nut a little bit at a time and kept moving hitch back and forth until hitch came off and rested on blocks. When re-assembled castle nut needs to be torqued to 80 ftlb then tightened to nearest through hole for cotter pin.
Tom
tom5574 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise