Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #21
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOneil43 View Post
How about any good experiences with AAA RV Plus ? We currently have AAA plus for our cars and were considering it for our future Motorhome purchase, but want to make sure before we commit to it. Any help or opinions appreciated.
Thanks

My tow vehicle broke down on the New York State Thruway last Sempember. I called AAA and within 30 minutes they towed both truck and camper to a Ford dealer 25 miles away. Zero charge.

By the way, I spent the night in the camper at the dealers lot where they left the lights on and their wifi for us.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #22

I have AAA plus RV. I have not used it, but it saves a few dollars when added to the coverage for 3 other drivers when considering the cost of GS or CN.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
I have AAA plus RV. I have not used it, but it saves a few dollars when added to the coverage for 3 other drivers when considering the cost of GS or CN.
Hope u don't need a rv tow in sw pa bc they wont tow u i been thru it twice
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:56 AM   #24
Director, FROG

I used Coach-Net tonight. On the way back from Elkhart to Middlebury about 8:20, Cindy and I started having an electrical system issue with the car (fan belt or alternator, maybe?), gradually lost power and coasted onto the shoulder of the Indiana Toll Road within sight of our exit.

I used the Coach-Net app, first to call 911, who dispatched an Indiana State Trooper to check on us and set out a couple of flares, then used the app to call road service. They offered to send a mobile technician to check out the problem, but I said that trying to diagnose and solve the problem while sitting on the dark shoulder of a major highway in 2-below-0 weather was not a good plan. At 8:43 they had a tow truck dispatched, and by 9:10 we were being winched onto a flatbed.

The driver dropped us off at home and then took the car to a local service facility that we've used several times and dropped it off for us.

It turns out that the driver is the nephew of a local FROG couple, Lowell and Nancy Miller, whom some of you might know from some of the trips and rallies.

We were very pleased with the service from both Coach-Net and Miller's Towing here in Middlebury.

We paid nothing (of course that will happen at the service center tomorrow) and didn't even have to sign a piece of paper.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
Hope u don't need a rv tow in sw pa bc they wont tow u i been thru it twice
I don't understand why you would be refused assistance. If you can't find a service there is always using a reimbursement claim as mentioned in the handbook: "In the event AAA is not able to provide you with timely road service, you may choose to contact an alternative service provider directly. However, if you obtain non-AAA roadside assistance without first requesting service from us, we will provide you a reimbursement of your expenses only up to the contract rate we normally pay our AAA service providers to perform similar services." Was the place you broke down in inside of US or Canada?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #26

Yikes Bob (FROG) a break down in those temperatures can be life threatening. I’m glad it worked out for you and Cindy. Hopefully the repair will be something minor and not some $400 computer chip.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:41 AM   #27
Site Team

We've had AAA+RV for years. I've only had two issues. Once my father-in-law's wheelchair van had a dead battery due to someone leaving on
an interior light. AAA send a truck to jump it right away.
A year later the same van had a flat tire on Sunday noon in sunny clear weather. I called and waited on the phone for 10 minutes all the while hearing that stupid recording-- your call is important to us we will answer
in the order it was received!! 10 minutes and no answer on a clear day-
not rush hour.

I've done some checking and now AAA offers a higher tier to get faster
phone response! You have to pay extra to get them to answer the phone!! We don't use the AAA trip tic much but will miss the state by
state tour books.

Now I'm on the fence between Coach Net or Good Sam. I called GS yesterday but got some guy who reminded me of a hungry used car salesman. It was hard to get a word in so I said I'd think about it and
hung up.

How much is the FROG discount at CoachNet???
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
I used Coach-Net tonight. On the way back from Elkhart to Middlebury about 8:20, Cindy and I started having an electrical system issue with the car (fan belt or alternator, maybe?), gradually lost power and coasted onto the shoulder of the Indiana Toll Road within sight of our exit.

I used the Coach-Net app, first to call 911, who dispatched an Indiana State Trooper to check on us and set out a couple of flares, then used the app to call road service. They offered to send a mobile technician to check out the problem, but I said that trying to diagnose and solve the problem while sitting on the dark shoulder of a major highway in 2-below-0 weather was not a good plan. At 8:43 they had a tow truck dispatched, and by 9:10 we were being winched onto a flatbed.

The driver dropped us off at home and then took the car to a local service facility that we've used several times and dropped it off for us.

It turns out that the driver is the nephew of a local FROG couple, Lowell and Nancy Miller, whom some of you might know from some of the trips and rallies.

We were very pleased with the service from both Coach-Net and Miller's Towing here in Middlebury.

We paid nothing (of course that will happen at the service center tomorrow) and didn't even have to sign a piece of paper.
Glad you guys made it to safety!
Now let's talk about getting rid of that 53 dodge. Cindy deserves better!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #29
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Glad you guys made it to safety!
Now let's talk about getting rid of that 53 dodge. Cindy deserves better!
Turbs, a '53 Dodge is a classic -- almost as old as I am. Besides, if we start talking about getting rid of things just because our wives deserve better, you and I could both find ourselves sitting out on the curb!

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Turbs, a '53 Dodge is a classic -- almost as old as I am. Besides, if we start talking about getting rid of things just because our wives deserve better, you and I could both find ourselves sitting out on the curb!
Hopefully one of us gets an rv then!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
We've had AAA+RV for years. I've only had two issues. Once my father-in-law's wheelchair van had a dead battery due to someone leaving on
an interior light. AAA send a truck to jump it right away.
A year later the same van had a flat tire on Sunday noon in sunny clear weather. I called and waited on the phone for 10 minutes all the while hearing that stupid recording-- your call is important to us we will answer
in the order it was received!! 10 minutes and no answer on a clear day-
not rush hour.

I've done some checking and now AAA offers a higher tier to get faster
phone response! You have to pay extra to get them to answer the phone!! We don't use the AAA trip tic much but will miss the state by
state tour books.

Now I'm on the fence between Coach Net or Good Sam. I called GS yesterday but got some guy who reminded me of a hungry used car salesman. It was hard to get a word in so I said I'd think about it and
hung up.

How much is the FROG discount at CoachNet???
I called AAA and spoke with a rep regarding the faster phone response "tier". They never heard of any such thing and suggested some confusion with the concierge service provided in the Premier level plan.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #32
Site Team

Check this page AAA East Central - Travel, Discounts, Insurance, Roadside Assistance and AAA Membership

I just looked and under Premier it says "special line for AAA premier members".
AAA Plus RV doesn't get it.
I just know they wouldn't answer the phone on what should have been a slow day so I can't trust them to answer during bad times.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Check this page AAA East Central - Travel, Discounts, Insurance, Roadside Assistance and AAA Membership

I just looked and under Premier it says "special line for AAA premier members".
AAA Plus RV doesn't get it.
I just know they wouldn't answer the phone on what should have been a slow day so I can't trust them to answer during bad times.
Interesting local difference! The special line does not appear to be available here: https://michigan.aaa.com/page/Member...www.google.com