Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #1

Roadside assistance

Anyone have experience with the roadside assistance package that is included for a year with forest river products? In Canada its Coach-Net. Good coverage? Easy to deal with? If not does anyone recommend a different one?

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7
2015 Rockwood Ultralite 2905ss

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
HappyCamper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #2

The Coach-Net that Forest River provides free is the limited plan and rather restrictive in scope. However, Coach-net is a very good Roadside Emergency provider. I suggest calling Coach-Net to see if you can upgrade to the basic plan which is much better. The limited plan costs $69 and the basic plan costs $89 and well worth the extra $20. Here’s a link to Coach-Net and you can compare the benefits for yourself. Coach-Net - Plans

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
Site Team

I have Platinum Plus Coach-Net and used it a few times. Very happy with them!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #4

Roadside assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
The Coach-Net that Forest River provides free is the limited plan and rather restrictive in scope. However, Coach-net is a very good Roadside Emergency provider. I suggest calling Coach-Net to see if you can upgrade to the basic plan which is much better. The limited plan costs $69 and the basic plan costs $89 and well worth the extra $20. Here’s a link to Coach-Net and you can compare the benefits for yourself. Coach-Net - Plans

Thanks Oakman. I know they offer the 1 year free with purchase type thing. And I have already looked into what else they offer. I'm mostly curious about people's experience and opinion of them.
You say you've had no problems? Were they always reasonably quick to respond?

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
Old 01-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #5

I was on a trip with my friend, she had only had her FR3 for two weeks to the day, when we experienced major problems we called Coach-Net, they sent out a tow truck we were towed about 15 miles, the shop had to order parts so we got a rental car to continue our trip, with Coach-Net and warranty work everything was paid for. I have my own motorhome my year will be up the end of next month, I will be renewing, from what I was it is well worth the money.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
I was on a trip with my friend, she had only had her FR3 for two weeks to the day, when we experienced major problems we called Coach-Net, they sent out a tow truck we were towed about 15 miles, the shop had to order parts so we got a rental car to continue our trip, with Coach-Net and warranty work everything was paid for. I have my own motorhome my year will be up the end of next month, I will be renewing, from what I was it is well worth the money.

That's good to hear. I was hoping this co. would be reliable so I could just carry it over.

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
Old 01-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #7

Ditto...used twice in first year...one tow...one technical help. Great service on both and timely. Will be signing on with them myself when the freebie expires.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #8

Anyone out there had a bad experience?

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
Old 01-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #9

You will find forum posts from folks who have great experiences and folks that had bad experiences from every single emergency roadside service provider. I know others will disagree with me, but as far as I’m concerned there are only two ERS providers designed specifically for RVers and worth buying. Coach-Net is one and the other is Good Sam ERS.

There are many variables that cause good and bad experiences and many times it is based on where in the heck you are when you need service. If you’re on an Interstate highway when you need service I think you have a good chance of having a good experience. If you’re driving on state roads in an area of the country with a low population density (think Wyoming, Idaho, Maine, N. Dakota etc.) the chance of a bad experience increases. The bad experience is usually because of a slow response time. Sometimes the bad experience is because of unrealistic expectations of the ERS.

Regardless of which ERS plan you purchase, I hope you never have a need to use them in your travels.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #10

I just received membership cards for renewal after one year free of Coachnet. We never had a disabling problem during the free year but I followed several threads on this forum and I agree that Good Sam and Coachnet seemed to be the major players. My decision to renew with Coachnet was based on the fact that there seemed to be slightly less negative posts about them. I suspect that "most of the time" with dynamics being the same that one would be "about" equal to the other......

And with that the above opinion will probably be of absolutely no help to you.........

I agree that we all just hope we do not have to use it and we hope that if we do that it ends up being a good experience. The bad experiences as reported with these two seem to be in the minority.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper77 View Post
Anyone out there had a bad experience?

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7
I had it with AAA RV Plus twice. When I first got the AAA Plus RV I was told if I had to have both vec. told I would be charge for two tows that was fine with me .When I broke down they wouldn't tow my camper or boat.I was told being it was my tow vec that was broke down.I ask them what can break down on a boat trailer or camper.All I can think of is a flat or the axle.So I have Good Sams now I haven't had to use it yet and I hope I never do
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #12

AAA plus RV

How about any good experiences with AAA RV Plus ? We currently have AAA plus for our cars and were considering it for our future Motorhome purchase, but want to make sure before we commit to it. Any help or opinions appreciated.
Thanks
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #13

I agree, just like paying for fire insurance on our homes, hope we never have to see how good it is.
Paul Darold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #14
Director, FROG

We've had Coach-Net since 2002, long before I came to work for Forest River. The first time we used them was for dual flat tires -- both right rears with the old Michelin XRVs -- on our Sportscoach on an interstate in St. Louis. From the time I placed the call, it was three hours and one minute later when we pulled back into traffic. We paid for the tires and nothing else. We've since used them about 4 or 5 times, always with great success.

NOTE THAT COACH-NET HAS NOW CHANGED ITS SERVICE LEVELS. There is now only a single level, with one program for motorized units and one for towables. You can get the information by clicking on the link at FROG - Forest River Owners Group.

If you call Coach-Net either to begin or renew coverage, let them know that you're a member of FROG to get a discounted price.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOneil43 View Post
How about any good experiences with AAA RV Plus ? We currently have AAA plus for our cars and were considering it for our future Motorhome purchase, but want to make sure before we commit to it. Any help or opinions appreciated.
Thanks
I still have AAA Plus but not RV They r ok when towing on a normal break down.I had to get my dad twice when I broke down with my toys. Once only about ten miles but the other was a 107 miles .Now they did tow my truck back and I had to pay the diff. of about 22.00 bc I was over my limit that was fine .My understanding is if you get Good Sam platium they will tow you and your toys anywhere
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
We've had Coach-Net since 2002, long before I came to work for Forest River. The first time we used them was for dual flat tires -- both right rears with the old Michelin XRVs -- on our Sportscoach on an interstate in St. Louis. From the time I placed the call, it was three hours and one minute later when we pulled back into traffic. We paid for the tires and nothing else. We've since used them about 4 or 5 times, always with great success.

NOTE THAT COACH-NET HAS NOW CHANGED ITS SERVICE LEVELS. There is now only a single level, with one program for motorized units and one for towables. You can get the information by clicking on the link at FROG - Forest River Owners Group.

If you call Coach-Net either to begin or renew coverage, let them know that you're a member of FROG to get a discounted price.

Thanks for the heads up about the discount!

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
Old 01-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #17

Might be Over Kill for a Motor Coach

We have used it twice for china bomb tire explosions on our fiver and we were glad to have it.

However, depending on the age of a motorhome, it may be over kill. Most motorhome policies come with towing coverage and offer endorsements/coverage upgrades that would equal what these stand-alone policies provide, for much less.

In addition, many of the drive train manufactures, such as Ford on the Triton 10 engines have 3 year or 36,000 miles or better.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
We have used it twice for china bomb tire explosions on our fiver and we were glad to have it.

However, depending on the age of a motorhome, it may be over kill. Most motorhome policies come with towing coverage and offer endorsements/coverage upgrades that would equal what these stand-alone policies provide, for much less.

In addition, many of the drive train manufactures, such as Ford on the Triton 10 engines have 3 year or 36,000 miles or better.
Did you have AAA RV plus or another plan?
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #19

Progressive, basic towing, no endorsements.

I just bought my coach, used, a 2014. The Ford warranty is transferable and also includes roadside assistance.

So essentially, double covered for towing and still well within Ford’s warranty.
At three years, I will take out the upgraded towing package through whoever is ensuring my coach at that time.

For the Fiver, I had FR/Coach-Net.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
You will find forum posts from folks who have great experiences and folks that had bad experiences from every single emergency roadside service provider. I know others will disagree with me, but as far as I’m concerned there are only two ERS providers designed specifically for RVers and worth buying. Coach-Net is one and the other is Good Sam ERS.

There are many variables that cause good and bad experiences and many times it is based on where in the heck you are when you need service. If you’re on an Interstate highway when you need service I think you have a good chance of having a good experience. If you’re driving on state roads in an area of the country with a low population density (think Wyoming, Idaho, Maine, N. Dakota etc.) the chance of a bad experience increases. The bad experience is usually because of a slow response time. Sometimes the bad experience is because of unrealistic expectations of the ERS.

Regardless of which ERS plan you purchase, I hope you never have a need to use them in your travels.
X'2 use to have the add-on for AAA, they sent a guy in a car and he asked if I had a jack....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote