Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #1

Rockwell / 8289 heating system

I would like to know how other trailer heating systems are installed? I purchased this unit and found that the return air is not pulling from the trailer cabin. FR is using my storage area as a return. Granted they put a 2 inch duct in that area but it is also drawing from a uninsulated area, and any odors from things that would be stored in that area. I turned the heater on and said why is this taking so long to heat. I should get at least a 35 degree temp. rise. That is to say that if my trailer temp is 65 on the inside the air being discharged from the registers should be around 100 degrees. If I'm pulling 40 degree air in from my storage area only, I would get a 75 temp max out of the heater. Let alone any odors. I have called FR and my dealer for a fix. I will keep you informed on what I think is a design flaw that should be resolved, let alone a safety issue. I just wondered if anyone else has this problem
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome. Now I hope you have a Rockwood trailer, because I can't find a Rockwell anywhere. Second, are you sure the the storage area is unheated? As to the storage area being uninsulated, it will have floor and wall insulation. As for measuring temps, you won't get a good temp for a while. Your furnace starts with the fan running, everything cold. Once the brain has the O.K. that the fan is running, the gas comes on and the ignition. Now it takes a while for the heat exchanger to get warm, since air is already moving across it. You won't get your greatest heat until near the end of the cycle.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #3

I thought the furnaces just pulled "cold" air in through the front grill?
Are you sure the duct to the storage area is not a heat duct?
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #4

yes, it's a Rockwood 5th wheel 2012. I understand what you are saying, but the storage area is not insulated and yes they put a 2 inch heat duct vent in. The problem I stated was that the return air is also drawn form the storage compartment not the cabin. Suburban has said the return air has to be located in the cabin area the infomation came from them. I would hope that FR would see the problem of the installation, FR did put A 2 inch supply duct which would produce 20 to 30 cfm that alone would not heat that area to begin with let alone the oders and dirt in that area, which would be sucked in the blower and into my cabin......Thanks for you input. We will see what happens
Old 02-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
yes, it's a Rockwood 5th wheel 2012. I understand what you are saying, but the storage area is not insulated and yes they put a 2 inch heat duct vent in. The problem I stated was that the return air is also drawn form the storage compartment not the cabin. Suburban has said the return air has to be located in the cabin area the infomation came from them. I would hope that FR would see the problem of the installation, FR did put A 2 inch supply duct which would produce 20 to 30 cfm that alone would not heat that area to begin with let alone the oders and dirt in that area, which would be sucked in the blower and into my cabin......Thanks for you input. We will see what happens
The storage area is insulated, but with all the access doors it's not insulated as well as the rest of the camper. I'm thinking that the source of the cold air return is everthing to do with the location of the furnace. In our 8280, the furnace is under the oven and the cold air return grill is under the oven door. Where is the furnace loacted in the 8289?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #6

the FAU is located in the storage area under the cabin floor. I see no insulation above or in the walls of that area. The bottom of the trailer has a liner covering the bottom outside. They installed a 3/4 tall wall around the unit so the return can be sucked from the storage area back to the unit. There is no return grill located in the camper. Above the storage area where the unit is located is the bath and bedroom upfront just behind the pin box.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The storage area is insulated...that's why you don't have insulation above (the bath/bedroom floor). All the exterior walls are R9 and the floor is R 12 or 14. The problem is that the access doors are only 1" thick and therefore have only maybe 3/4" insulation and are dependent on the seal around the door. That's why it's colder than the rest of the camper.

It's really strange that the furnace is installed in the camper basement...guess that's the only place they could. It's a bad idea for the reason that you've already found out.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer will probably say that the camper was designed that way and therefore, there's nothing to fix. I'd be contacting Forest River just the same.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #8

Thanks Dave, I have done that already, the fight right now is that Suburban say's it can not take return aire from the storage area and FR say's it's O'kay. So we will see what happens. Thanks for your input
Old 02-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Tee

Interested in the outcome/solution reached on this one. I have a 8289WS on order.
Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #10

Heating system

I just took delivery of a 8289WS. Is there any more information on this installation. I heard on the Flagstaff equivalent they put a return on the second stepping to the bedroom.
Doverchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
Tee

My 2013 has two return air grills in the steps. Middle and top..
Old 04-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #12

My 8289WS was order min Feb at the dealer unknown actual factory order date. I do not see and returns in steps. Can you send or post a picture. Thanks
Old 04-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #13

Here is a pic of an earlier fix and according to the latest posts, the factory is installing 2 vents now.
jaygeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
Tee

I miss spoke, I have two vents. Bottom and middle step not middle and top. Mine is a 2013 Rockwood.
T
Old 04-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #15

Vents

I called Forrest river today. They said they started putting the vents in January . They had pictures in my file and confirmed I did not have the vents but did not know why. They said my dealer could put them in.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #16

8280WS Heating

Forest River does a great job reacting and changing products or procedures when they feel it is necessary. I saw the two return air vents installed between the stair risers at a show a few weeks ago. It looks pretty simple and inexpensive, this should provide plenty of return air, any do it yourself person could do it.

Remember this is more of a three season than a four season fifth wheel trailer, don't expect it to heat like your home, depending on how and when you use the trailer, most campers won't need to do anything.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote