Old 05-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #1

Rockwood 2109s TT

Hi all,
I'm looking at a 2015 Rockwood 2109s. It's the size, floorplan and price point that works for us. Since we are total newbe's I would love to hear any comment good or bad about the brand.
Our TV is a 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited with tow pkg. rated at 6,200 and 620.
Thanks in advance
Steve

Old 05-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #2

Here's a good thread.
Need info on 2109S Rockwood Mini Lite

Old 05-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #3

Do you have the Hemi engine?
acsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #4

290 hp v-6
Old 05-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #5

I've got the other floorplan of that trailer. Haven't had any problems (major) since I bought it last July. I pull it with a 4.2L Trailblazer (5400 lb cap) and it rides just fine with WD and sway control. You should have no problems at all with the Jeep.

I actually really like the trailer. I'd like a little more living room and some more counter space (you have more than I do...I gave up the counter space and seating for a little more open feel with the dinette being in the slide) but it fit well with what I had to pull with.

I think mine's a little heavier with a bigger slide, but to give you an idea my yellow sticker shows me weighing 3973 lbs from the factory with no bottles or batteries on it and nothing in it. That was a couple hundred higher than advertised if I recall. Expect around 4300 lbs loaded on a 2109. Well within your limits, but useful if anyone else is looking to see if they can pull it with their current vehicle.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #6

Thanks for your comments. ��
Old 05-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #7

We tow our 2109S with a Nissan Frontier 4x4 pickup with a tow package and a 6,400-lb tow rating. However, the truck also has a 60-square ft. cross-sectional area limitation and our trailer has a frontal area of 64 square ft. We towed the 2109S to Alaska and back last summer with relatively few towing difficulties (just the usual slowdowns on grades), but have had major problems with headwinds in the Southwest on our winter trips. On our way back from Tucson a few weeks ago, we hit headwinds so strong that snowflakes were falling horizontally. We finally pulled off I-25 onto the frontage road, parked in a road-cut where we were slightly protected from the wind, and read for an hour until the squall passed.

The reason we bought the 2109S was because my wife wanted to drive to Alaska in 2013 for her "retirement trip." So we started shopping for trucks, trailers, and even used motorhomes 3 years in advance--one RV show after another, hours on-line searching Websites, days and nights talking to other RV owners! And, in the almost exactly two years we have owned it, we have spent 150 nights in the trailer and towed it approximately 17,000 miles with the Frontier, In fact, 40% of the total miles we have put on the truck have been towing the trailer and 20% of our nights since we bought it have been spent sleeping in the factory queen bed in the trailer (incidentally, forget the heated mattress if you winter camp and bring your electric blanket from home!).

The trailer fit our needs perfectly on the Alaska trip--the right length, weight, and floor plan. We even ordered it from the factory instead of buying it off the dealer's lot, so we could get exactly the options and accessories we wanted on it (although we did leave the heavy folding table home after our first weekend trip and have used two TV trays since).

We have had a number of problems with it--some due to poor design, some due to hard use (see my 4/27/14 post on the thread mentioned above and my several posts on the 2109S slide motor). But we have never had any water leaks despite freezing all three tanks once (even with 12v tank heaters) and weathering several heavy rainstorms, two snowstorms, and very high winds (including a 200-mile long dust storm in southern New Mexico).

Just a hint--you won't even last two nights dry camping with one 12v deep-cycle marine battery. Too much drawdown from the gas refrigerator and the propane detector beneath it. Get a second 12v from Walmart or Sam's and mount it next to the dealer's battery as soon as you get the trailer. Then when the first cheap 12v battery dies, replace them both with two 6v golf cart batteries wired in series, using the cheap 12v's for the core charge.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
We tow our 2109S with a Nissan Frontier 4x4 pickup with a tow package and a 6,400-lb tow rating. However, the truck also has a 60-square ft. cross-sectional area limitation and our trailer has a frontal area of 64 square ft. We towed the 2109S to Alaska and back last summer with relatively few towing difficulties (just the usual slowdowns on grades), but have had major problems with headwinds in the Southwest on our winter trips.
On that note, your Jeep has about the same HP I do, but I'm guessing a better gearing with the extra tow rating. That wind is a killer on the smaller gas motors...expect around 11 mpg on a good day.

Quote:
(incidentally, forget the heated mattress if you winter camp and bring your electric blanket from home!).
I second that one... Another thing is that I've found that the furnace in the trailer is matched pretty well to the size of the unit and does a pretty good job. I bought a cheap electric space heater for use when plugged in to hookups to maintain temp and just run the furnace on it's lowest setting. The trailer seems to be decently insulated. Fanrgs can shed more light on the cold aspect of that one.

Quote:
Just a hint--you won't even last two nights dry camping with one 12v deep-cycle marine battery. Too much drawdown from the gas refrigerator and the propane detector beneath it. Get a second 12v from Walmart or Sam's and mount it next to the dealer's battery as soon as you get the trailer. Then when the first cheap 12v battery dies, replace them both with two 6v golf cart batteries wired in series, using the cheap 12v's for the core charge.
I've found this to be true as well and plan on doing the same when the batteries go. I put two on mine immediately.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Another thing is that I've found that the furnace in the trailer is matched pretty well to the size of the unit and does a pretty good job. I bought a cheap electric space heater for use when plugged in to hookups to maintain temp and just run the furnace on it's lowest setting. The trailer seems to be decently insulated. Fanrgs can shed more light on the cold aspect of that one.
Yep, same here. In fact, we have an electric heater for cold RV and state park camping and a propane catalytic heater for several cold nights of dry camping when we want to save batteries (we don't use a generator).

The foam insulation does make a difference over older trailers with batt insulation. However, no Forest River trailer I have seen has insulation to compare to a Northwood Arctic Fox. Of course, an Arctic Fox comparable in size to a 2109S has a GVWR of 7,500 lbs. instead of 4,800 lbs., which pretty much eliminates it for any V-6 tow vehicle short of a Ford twin-turbo Ecoboost or Dodge Ecodiesel.

Our tow vehicle is similar to yours--4.0L V-6 with 261 HP and 281 lb.-ft. of torque and a 5-speed automatic.

Good luck on your search/purchase!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #10

Oops, RAM Ecodiesel. Ram will always be a Dodge to me!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, 2109s, rockwood