Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

Rockwood 2502

I am a new member but have been reading the forum for about a month.
I am thinking about upgrading to a 2502 and would like input about it.
the good,the bad and the ugly
RWDIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Site Team

We love ours. The bathroom is a bit tight but we're not real
large folks and rarely shower in there so not a biggie.
Front bed is 6" shorter than a "normal" queen so if you're tall,
keep that in mind. We're 5' 7" and it's fine.
Ours is an ultralite so we can tow it with our truck with small V8
no problem. Been to Colorado and over the mountains a few
times. Speed limit most of the time, even going up.
We don't have any slides so that helps keep it light.
My wife wishes we had a slide in the eating area.
We both wish we had the table and chairs option rather
than the table with bench seats that makes a bed if needed.
We don't need that and table and chairs would fit us better.
YMMV. The sofa also makes a bed so we could still have
guests or grand kids. (none yet, sigh......)

If we had it to do over, we'd do it again.
A bigger 5th wheel may be in our future when we turn into
snow birds but for now, a month long trip in June was a blast!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #3

KyDAN
tHANK YOU for the reply
I should have said new 2502 s
I know folks seem to like the 2604ss,but dont want anything over 25 ft
as I plan on keeping 06 f150 for another 4 years
I know it has nothing to do with trailers but my mothers family was from Paducah
RWDIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:49 AM   #4
Ambassador

I just purchased a 2015 2502ks mini lite. It has the jack knife couch and kitchen on one slide. It as a 4300lb dry weight and a 6300lb max cap. So you can literally pack it with a ton of stuff. The KS has a front window at the head of the bed, it lets in a lot of light when your shutter is up. It's true the mattress is RV length however, I'm 6'2"-275 lbs, and it's not an issue for me, or my wife. The KS has 2 entry doors, the bed does sort of stick out in to the path of the front door a little but it doesn't really impede entry. I think what sold me on the 2502KS more than anything else was that was a mini but still had a dinette, and a couch. Many of the other models made you choose one or the other. The bathroom for me is a little tight but I can still maneuver pretty good. It says mini lite on the outside so you have to expect som cramped quarters. My head does go up in to the skylight when I stand in the shower but it doesn't touch the top, I can stand all the way up, it is just a snug fit. However it's still functional and I can do what I need to do. You can really take long hot showers in an RV anyway. The toilet, id a little more roomy than the shower, plenty of room for me here, the height is decent and I don't feel like I'm squatting down to go. There is a huge amount of storage in the bathroom cabinets though. The sink is a little small and I bought a taller faucet so I could get my hands under it completely. I also had them add a fantastic fan on the rood in the bathroom. This not only keeps the air fresh in the bathroom it will serve to keep the trailer cooler when your boon docking. It moves a lot of air and draws very few amps. This is another best feature I'm glad I had them add. The radio was also a little tough to figure out, I consider my self a super geek, I had trouble making this thing do what it said it does in the manual. However, after a bit I found out that turning off the bluetooth on my phone fixed the problems...mostly. It has amazing sound, the surround kicks in when you watch movies, the TV is a little smaller than I would like but still adequate. the dinette table is free standing so you can take outside or adjust it if you're a fatty like me. The dinette does convert to a bed. The couch is one of the best features, and one of the worst. It works as is should and it's comfortable to sit in and all. But after a few uses in the bed mode the mounting screws backed out of the wood, they were just chinsey short lag bolts. I had to get out some power tools to drill some holes, and put a 3/8" backer plate, and some large washers underneath to make sure the deck was going to be strong enough to secure the thing to the deck properly. Would it have come loose if my two 95 lb dogs weren't jumping from the bed to the count all the time, I don't know. Hasn't budged since. I have to say that over all I'm tickled with the purchase, and I feel that I bought a quality product, over all I think the only way I could be completely comfortable in an RV would be to spend a lot more money and get a huge bus, or a fifth wheeler. But then that wouldn't be camping to me...hope this helped.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #5

We went with the 2503S. It has the Murphy bed. Same size as the others, it just flips up. Couch is under it, so you lose the couch when the bed is down. But what sold us is the HUGE bathroom. My wife likes lots of room in there. Plus it has a large enclosed shower. Anything with a tub is out as she can't get out of it very well. It also has the bigger U-dinette if we ever do need to sleep someone else with us.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:30 PM   #6
Done with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDIII View Post
I know it has nothing to do with trailers but my mothers family was from Paducah
Small world.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

Hi, I have the 2014 2502s. We like it but if the 2502ks would of been offered we would of chose that one for the more counter space and room in the kitchen area.
gserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:19 PM   #8

We went with the 2503s because of the bathroom size. It would be hard to find another unit with that much room in a 25 ft TT. I'm 6'3" and the shower is plenty big and the room around the toilet is amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Humteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #9

I just ordered a 2502ks a few weeks ago. Have spend a good bit of time sitting and and comparing to other mini kites with Murphy beds. The biggest difference which really sold me on this model is how large it feels inside, so much light and air that come in and feeling of being out doors it has. Mostly it's just a two person camper which is what I wanted. Sitting in all the Murphy beds models with bed up were very dark. The big new window for 2017 in 2502ks lets lots of light in, the Murphy models were substantially darker with fewer and smaller windows and lots of dark spaces with all the wood cabinets. The other thing are the two doors. That's two screen doors letting lots of light and air in. The big window over the table and it all being one open room without any walls between the bed and the rest of the coach (except small bathroom in rear but it does have a window, tub and sky-light) For families the Murphy bed makes lots of sense but for two I don't want to have to put up and down a bed every day. I am up grading from a hybrid that slept 10 and am use to lots of room, light and air coming in. The others gave me a feeling of being in four walls. Just some thoughts.
Johnas1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnas1974 View Post
I just ordered a 2502ks a few weeks ago. Have spend a good bit of time sitting and and comparing to other mini kites with Murphy beds. The biggest difference which really sold me on this model is how large it feels inside, so much light and air that come in and feeling of being out doors it has. Mostly it's just a two person camper which is what I wanted. Sitting in all the Murphy beds models with bed up were very dark. The big new window for 2017 in 2502ks lets lots of light in, the Murphy models were substantially darker with fewer and smaller windows and lots of dark spaces with all the wood cabinets. The other thing are the two doors. That's two screen doors letting lots of light and air in. The big window over the table and it all being one open room without any walls between the bed and the rest of the coach (except small bathroom in rear but it does have a window, tub and sky-light) For families the Murphy bed makes lots of sense but for two I don't want to have to put up and down a bed every day. I am up grading from a hybrid that slept 10 and am use to lots of room, light and air coming in. The others gave me a feeling of being in four walls. Just some thoughts.
Johnas1974
We ordered our 2502ks October 11, 2016. Have you received news on yours yet? We haven't heard a word about when ours will come. Originally we were told 8 weeks. It's hard not to call the dealer every week to check on it. We're excited and anxious. We're counting down to December 8 but being pessimists doesn't help. Not trailer related but my sister lives in St. Charles. Happy Camping!
CYAH OUT THERE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #11

I have been informed expect it manufactured first week in December. They have a schedule when each model is in production. I tried to change the fabric selection but was told they already bought everything and is now awaiting production. It's exciting and tough living through such a pleasant fall and not having it yet.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #12

Update. I went to the factory and saw the trailers made. It was great. They really know their stuff and take their time. I got all my questions answered including finding out mine probably won't be made until 2nd week of Dec.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #13

Oh! Say it isn't so!!
I was hopeful they would make them and have them out sooner than that. Did they say how many are being made? I sure hope they continue to be made with care even with Christmas shutdown looming. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #14

The day I was there they made 31. Next week in my area of Chicago we are expecting a week of below freezing down to 16 and high's several days not above freezing. Winter is showing its head. Hope it's not sub freezing when I have my walk through but can't wait to get it.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #15

Update Got a call from our dealer today. Our 2502KS is here. YIPPEE!! Now we're all excited and nervous about seeing it and doing the PDI.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #16

Exciting!!! Please tell me all about it. Talked to my dealer this morning. He expects to be made today or early next week. Allow 3-4 days to ship. He thought we would do walk through next week. I asked how we could check all if it is 16 degrees out. He said he would put it in heated garage and we would re-winterize it before I left
Old 12-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnas1974 View Post
Exciting!!! Please tell me all about it. Talked to my dealer this morning. He expects to be made today or early next week. Allow 3-4 days to ship. He thought we would do walk through next week. I asked how we could check all if it is 16 degrees out. He said he would put it in heated garage and we would re-winterize it before I left
Johnas1974: We have our PDI scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. Our dealer has camping spots on their lot. We will dewinterize, run all the systems, take a test drive and then spend the night there just in case we need some tweaking. Getting a new WDH put on our TV. Got a second battery and a cover for the fan over the bed to add too. Looking forward to stepping inside!!
Old 12-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #18

Hello DMMillers. Any update on your pickup of the new trailer???
Old 12-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #19

Picked up our Mini 2502KS-LONG

Did our PDI on Wed 12/7/16. Of course it was freezing ass cold and windy. Our dealer has full hookup sites. Everything was set up and turned on. We combined our PDI list with the tech's list and seemed to cover everything on both. Window type is new to us. They look nice, aligned and sealed. Doors were well done and love the no 'pump thingy' at the bottom! The 2 stairs and large grab bars are a plus for us. Storage areas are placed well and of course are put together as cheaply as most TT. The area beside the back door will accommodate the grill. With some additional shelves, a lot could fit in there. All the water related items worked as expected, the valves are low on Rockwood. Have to always be aware of any huge bumps or pot holes. Location of shower, low point drain, tank flush, city and tank fill all clearly marked. On forum we've seen concerns about water filter. We saw it. We left it. But will probably remove it just for peace of mind in the spring. Propane tanks, cover, regulation system was nice. Filled up and checked. Frig, furnace, stove and oven all worked without a hitch. TV and stereo system is adequate for us. We camped for years without TV until our last unit had one. So it's not a big concern. Antenna has indoor knob to be turned to travel position but no up and down. Happy about that. We did watch tv in bed and we were content with it's placement. We had second battery and box added. They did a good job. It looks great and no rubbing on frame! Good disconnect switch pattern and placement. Outside paint and siding done well. Graphics look well applied. No bubbles. All nice and smooth. Tires are new so what can you say? Appropriate air pressure, size and load capacity. Lug nuts good to go. We know the importance of watching them like a hawk. Spare and cheap vinyl tire cover ok also. Awning as expected. Lights under it worked well. Easy to maneuver for rain runoff. REMEMBER NOT TO USE GRILL UNDER AWNING!! They have the outside attachment for the grill and the propane Port for the grill in the middle of trailer side under the awning. There is a manual way to open and close awning. Have them demonstrate. There is a little gadget included in your package of manuals but our manual doesn't show how to do it. The underbelly is closed with that corrugated plastic stuff but everything we saw looked well placed and sealed. With the exception of the wheel well on the drivers side. Which we didn't see until we got home and we're putting the wheel covers on for winter storage. Small area not flushly closed. Could be place for potential leak. Have taken photo and sent it to dealers warranty person. We'll see what they say. Will post pic later. Slide out put in and out several times. No loud noises, stops and starts as expected. Seals are tight-no air or light detected. Make sure to give the bathroom door that extra nudge to make sure secure. Don't want it rubbing on the slide. There are locking mechanisms provided. Nothing on the under/outside to rub or catch. No hose guides! Great! Inside finish was very well done. We had grey fabric couch not vinyl on our order. Very pleased with how it looks. All the cabinets and hardware as expected. Bed heater worked great! Mattress was pretty good. We have a topper so we'll put it on to get it out of the house. The dinette as expected. Happy to have the fold up legs. Hated the table in the IKSS!!! No delamination, loose stuff or nails/staples. TT lighting has always been a problem for me. Just too blinding white but all worked. One switch on panel can turn off all. Nice to turn on lights when entering at night. Each ceiling light has a little center button. Closets will take some mods but we'll figure out a place for everything. Not a single drawer in the kitchen!!! We're going to have to get creative with flatware and utensil storage. Possibly some basket or compartmented box?! Nice sink and counter top. Bathroom faucet sits pretty low and on the side. That'll take some getting used to. Nice to not have corner shower. Floors are very nice. Love not having carpet. Wall covers as expected. Blinds and curtains as expected. Converter did it's job. Had the frig, furnace, hot water heater, lights, tank heater on and my CPAP machine all night. Did blow the hot water fuse during early am but never tripped again and recovered quickly. Now to the only thing we're really torn about... the roof!! We took pictures. See them. We were told by the PDI tech, the repair shop manager and other repair guys that the wrinkles and dimples are all sealed well and because of newness and temps this time of year have not allowed the "goop" (my word) to level itself out. Many photos were taken. Photos sent to dealers warranty person who is sending them on to Forest River. Several MiniLites were delivered and we were able to go on top of other units and see that they all looked the same. So, we took possession of the unit. We are confident that we made the right choice to accept it and we'll deal with any concerns as time goes on. We have seen another Mini owner post a picture of his roof and his and ours are similar. I never saw a repost of any additional problems posted by that person. So, are we concerned? Yes but we'll wait and see. We just want to enjoy our camper and our travels!! We spent the night on the dealers full hook up site. We were comfortable and cozy. We had lots of window condensation in the morning. We have a dehumidifier from our last unit that we will use and have no doubt that will take care of it. Wouldn't be without it, have used nightly in our hybrid. Just did not pack to carry to PDI. Our tank handles were frozen when we went to winterize in the early morning. Had to pull around to the sunny side and in time were able to dump one day/night of black and grey water. All went well. Towed like "it wasn't back there" all the way home. Parked in it's spot with wheel covers, air conditioner cover and electric jack cover in place for the winter. Now we have to drag all our stuff out of the garage and fill her up!! Have our maiden trip planned for end of February to MS, TX, NM, AZ, California to see our son, then Utah, CO, MO and all points in between!! CAN'T WAIT TO GET STARTED!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	126617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1806.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	443.3 KB
ID:	126618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1809.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	126619   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1780.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	470.5 KB
ID:	126620   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1799.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	126621  

Old 12-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #20

Wheel well pic

Update: here's the wheel well picture. Noticed this area not sitting flush to trailer and no caulk around it when we were putting tire covers on. Took pics and sent to dealer warranty person. Waiting on her response. Probably going to spray foam it and caulk. Don't want water in there. Wheel wells are inside trailer, one down behind couch one down behind dinette. Will be adding those areas to maintenance check list.
Pics are sideways don't know how to fix
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1816.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	126623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1815.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	388.4 KB
ID:	126624