Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #1

Rockwood 2604 entrance door gas strut

I have a 2010 Rockwood 2604 and the rearward entrance door gas strut at the top of the door, the sheet metal screws that holds the mounting bracket for the cylinder rod keep stripping out. Last year I redrilled the holes and installed larger stainless steel screws in place. did not last too long as the new screws are stripping out also and actually pulling the door skin with them. I spoke to Forest River but to no avail. I have a friend with the twin to this camper and he is having the same problem. I wonder if anyone has the same problem and what they did to remedy. I am thinking of replacing the 3 sheet metal screws with nuts and bolts but the inside door gasket is in the way. Any suggestions?
stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #2

Hello there,

We have a 2011 2604 and had the same problem last summer. When we got back home after the camping trip I drilled carefully thru the door bought three small stainless steel bolts, flat and lock washers and nuts. Do not remember the size and the trailer is still in storage for the winter. Also I made a small steel backing plate for the inside of the door for added strength that mounts under the lock washers and nuts. After making this mod. camper was used quite a bit more last year and seemed to hold up just fine. Hope this will be of some help. Best of Luck
Blaze67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #3

Hi

I have the same problem with my 2011 rockwood 2604SS. When I took it back to the dealer, he had another 2604 with the same problem. He did the same thing as Blaze67. He drilled through the door and installed the bolts, nuts and flat washers. I wasn't to sure about doing that to mine, so he gave me a latch to hold the door open. It is the same kind of latch as on the bedroom entrance door. I have decided to go with drilling through the door and install the longer bolts, nuts and flat washers. If I have the door open all the way, the furnace exhaust would burn the door. The shocks they use on the door are 20 lb. I am trying to find a 10 lb.
float82298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #4

Just got home from picking up our 2604. Door strut lasted 4 days. replaced it with the same latch as bedroom door. Good enough for us.
PaulandMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #5

know this is old post. but been away from this sight until my last rockwood problem. having the same shock problem as everyone else. the door got away from my wife due to wind. ripped the screws out. think I will do the thru bolt & plate repair
snapcap14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #6

On My 2012 Rockwood 2604 they ripped out right away. I put screws back in the holes to seal then installed a plastic holdback like on the other door. The shock has been residing in the dump for a long time now. Jack
jacksum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #7

I just removed the damm strut! That way the door could be opened all the way and I installed a latch to hold it all the way open. The reason for the strut??? is to keep the door from covering the furnace exhaust. Who's going to have the door latched open with the furnace on????

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

FWIW - in 2014 the strut is on the bottom attached to the sill (much stronger mounting point). We haven't had any problems. Thanks for the heads up on the wind-related failure.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #9

Have a 2009 Rockwood Roo which did not have a gas closer. Thought it was a good idea and asked my dealer to install one. He recommended against it for all the reasons stated. Have not regretted the decision.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #10

We just removed our door strut.. We're gonna try installing a command strip outdoor hook on the camper and one on the door. Put a plastic chain link over the hooks. Hope it works.
CandyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

On our 12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS, I moved both anchors 2" closer to the hinge and used 3/16" dia pop rivets on the door and thru bolted the anchor on the camper. This allows the door to open over 90° and actually helps close the door when it gets about 8" away from closing. Have had it like this since 2 days after Feb2012 delivery and it works great. Love the strut now that it is anchored correctly (IMO).
Old 09-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
On our 12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS, I moved both anchors 2" closer to the hinge and used 3/16" dia pop rivets on the door and thru bolted the anchor on the camper. This allows the door to open over 90° and actually helps close the door when it gets about 8" away from closing. Have had it like this since 2 days after Feb2012 delivery and it works great. Love the strut now that it is anchored correctly (IMO).
X2 Only I replaced the OEM rod screws with 5/8, 3/16 rivets and they are rock solid a year later.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
X2 Only I replaced the OEM rod screws with 5/8, 3/16 rivets and they are rock solid a year later.
That's what I used, the large head 3/16" rivets.

Tags