Old 07-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #11

I just got back from a trip in mine a few hours ago. 95 degrees, but I was in the shade. I ran my main 15K for the most part and kept it around 70 - 75 with no problems. I only started up my second 13.5K to cool down at first.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #12

I have been told since, that if you have 50 amp service available use an adaptor on your 30 amp cord to plug into the 50 amp service. More likely to get the full 30 amps. Newer A/C's have an auto cut off if amperage gets to low. The fans run but not the compressor! At least that is what I was told.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #13

Low voltage is not good for our units as it causes an increase in amperage and thus in heat output. The bottom limit seems to be an ongoing debate and is somewhere 105-108 v.

Here is a good article on the effects of hi and low voltage:

The Highs and Lows of Motor Voltage

The voltage where we were camping dropped so low that my Progressive Industries surge protector kicked the power off so voltage was dropping below 104.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:16 PM   #14

We were in Myrtle Beach the last week of July, upper 90's and up to 102. Our 15 K AC would not keep up. 16 to 18 degree drop was the best we could hope for. Back down to 72 when the sun went down.
Lots of heat infiltration. I found a hot spot on the wall next to the fridge in the slide-out (not an outside wall) using a thermal imaging camera. About 100 degrees. Now that we're home I need to look into that.
We put foam in the skylights and opened the vents on the AC unit during the day to cool the living area and closed them at night to help cool the bedroom.
We ordered our 2703WS with the 15 K AC. If you're going to do a lot of hot weather camping, you might want two units and 50 amp wiring.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS
2016 F250 PowerStroke 3.55 axle
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #15
Travelling Texas

I put some Reflectix insulation on the evaporator plenum for my 2104S A/C and wrapped the low pressure line to the compressor with some insulating tape (popular mod on this forum). I noticed right away the interior cools down considerably faster than before, pretty important during the murderously hot summer we've had so far in my area!

FWIW...I used spray adhesive for the Reflectix everywhere but the left side where the service panel is. For that I used sections of self-adhesive velcro so it can be removed for access. If you look at the 2nd pic you'll also notice the hard start capacitor I spliced in (another popular mod).
Not as effective as upgrading to a larger unit, but it could make your current A/C a little more efficient.

Your call!
Old 08-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #16

Definitely worth a try. Every little bit helps.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS
2016 F250 PowerStroke 3.55 axle
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:29 AM   #17

DavidBo - is the "evaporator plenum" under the cover on the roof? Sorry for my ignorance, but I think I would like to do this mod. Also, how can I determine which compressor line is the low-pressure side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #18
Travelling Texas

Yep, the big plastic cover has to come off. The sheetmetal box houses the evaporator coil and blower, where the actual cold air is made. The compressor itself has two metal lines coming off of it, the larger diameter tube is the low pressure side and that's what you want to insulate. If you felt these areas while the unit was running you'd find them quite cold, and the more cold kept inside the better.
I traced the outline of the box onto the Reflectix material (it comes in a roll) and cut the panels out with scissors. A little spray adhesive bonds them in place. There's a service panel on one side that you don't want to use glue on, so I used some strips of self-adhesive velcro to make the Reflectix removable.

You'll have to punch a few holes in the Reflectix for the cover's mounting screws, but that's about it.
Here's the materials:
Shop Reflectix 33.3-sq ft Reflective Roll Insulation (16-in W x 25-ft L) at Lowes.com
Shop Frost King 1/8-in Rubber Plumbing Pipe Wrap Insulation at Lowes.com
Do a search and you'll find a lot of other similar ideas, see what works for you. I have no idea how this will affect your warranty so proceed at your own risk!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:40 AM   #19

Thanks so much David!

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax
Old 09-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #20

I put mirror finish tint on all windows, made a world of difference. purchase at amazon for about 60 bucks

Tags
3500, 500, rockwood