Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #21

I got my new 2703WS last June and used it about 30 days during the season. After correcting a wiring problem from the factory, I've really enjoyed the unit. I did get a low profile recliner and put it at the end of the counter so I could watch TV more comfortably. I really like the unit overall. I've no sway or bouncing problems pulling with an Equal-I-zer hitch, no slide problems or anything. Nice unit. I noticed in Trailer Life that the floor plan is being copied by other manufacturers.
wyoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #22

weighted the toung with a scale trailer on level ground truck not hooked up trailer was loaded we were getting ready to leave the camp ground have a 1000 lb weight dist hitch with double sway control not sure about your tt we realy like our tt also good luck and have fun
bob27rwls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #23

Hi,

We have also been looking at this 27ft trailer; I'm looking for some ideas on TV’s that are SUV style instead of a pickup. My first thought was a Dodge Durango but I think just the weight will put it over. I have also considered a Ford Expedition & Nissan Armada.

My wife is not ready to move up to a pickup just yet, which is why we are looking at these TV's. I know once she has used the trailer for a couple years she will want to upgrade which will force the purchase to a 3/4 ton Pickup.
Trailer Specs as listed on web site
Dry Weight
6311lbs
GVWR
N/A
Cargo Capacity
1438lbs
Hitch Weight
549lbs
Axle Weight
5762lbs
Exterior Height
9.75'
Exterior Length
31.92'
Exterior Width
8.00'
Interior Height
6.67'
Fresh Water
Black Water
Gray Water

36gal
37gal
37gal

Awning Size
N/A

joeengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #24
Site Team

2014 trailer life tow guide shows armada and expedition have highest tow capacity at 9000#+. Good luck in your search.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #25

I'm suspecting that the closer the weight of the tow vehicle is to the weight of the loaded travel trailer without going over the GCVWR, the better off you are.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #26

We pull a 23ft trailer with 2003 expedition and though it tows our trailer great we have said many times we would not pull anything longer with it, would just feel too long for our wheel base.

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Hello,

I used to own this model. The back is too heavy, the long scented slide never worked correctly from day 1. Towing wise you need a full load of water and lots of weight to get the tongue heavier. Sway is a major issue with any wind. I traded an bought a fifth wheel unit instead after 12 months. Same brand, love rockwood, just this trailer has had problems. Dealer and forest river looked after us. We are apply campers now.

Band B
Hi, What year was your model?

Thanks
Charleen
Charleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoman View Post
I got my new 2703WS last June and used it about 30 days during the season. After correcting a wiring problem from the factory, I've really enjoyed the unit. I did get a low profile recliner and put it at the end of the counter so I could watch TV more comfortably. I really like the unit overall. I've no sway or bouncing problems pulling with an Equal-I-zer hitch, no slide problems or anything. Nice unit. I noticed in Trailer Life that the floor plan is being copied by other manufacturers.
What is your tow vehicle? We are highly considering this trailer and haven't bought our tow vehicle as of yet.

Thanks
Charleen
Old 03-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #29

I've got a 2011 Extended Cab, 1/2 ton Silverado, Max trailering pkg with a 6.2L engine. No problem whatsoever.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #30

I pulled ours with a 99 silverado 5.3 engine with 3;43 gears for several months with no problem; I just wanted a bigger truck, didn't need it.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #31

Thx
Old 07-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #32

We are picking up a 2015 2703ws first week of August. The dealer is including a wdh. My TV is a 2013 ford f150 super cab with 5.0 and 3.55 rear rated to pull 9500 lbs. Should I use one or two sway bars.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #33

If you have to get a WDH with friction anti-sway bars then I believe that 2 are recommended for that size RV.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #34

Thanks Wayne. The 2703ws is identical to your flagstaff except for decals. Any issues you can recommend I watch for on the pre-delivery inspection? Supposed to arrive next week.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #35

I just posted a comment about the new 2703ws to the 27rlws thread about the rear bumper on the new 2015. Too long to post again.

2015 2703ws getting closer
Ford f-150 super cab 5.0 3.55
Old 09-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #36

Have a 2014 2703WS. TV is a 2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 5.7L with a Blue Ox Sway Pro weight distribution hitch. Tows like a dream. Very happy .... Love everything about the layout and function of the trailer too.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Myklskc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #37

We took delivery of our 2703WS the last week of June. Had issues with the kitchen slide after second trip. Back to dealer and they supposedly replaced one motor. Still wouldn't work properly, but we were leaving and they couldn't get us back in (or weren't interested to be more precise). Towed it 1000 kilometres to our next stop and found a great guy at one of the local RV shops who was an expert on slides. He got us in next day and replaced, reseated, and rewired both motors. Neither one were seated properly and one was wired backwards. $600 later it works perfectly. Trying to recover that bill from Forest River.
The opposite slide -the dinette - blows the fuse every time we retract it. At least it goes out every time ! and only takes a minute to replace the fuse. Will check wiring now that i have a few days to look at things. Haven't had the dreaded shower leak and that part is all good. We had the dealer install a fireplace in the cabinet under the TV and it is awesome. The TV remote also turns it off and on, which is a PIA, and the only circuit it could be wired into is the kitchen one - so if the toaster, microwave, or coffee maker are in use, the fireplace gets kicked off. But thats manageable, and we love the fireplace.
Overall fit and finish are mediocre, and its really pretty hard to believe. Had we bought a car for the same price we would probably have returned it if we could. The better half has lots of comments and simple suggestions that would improve finish and function, but where do you send them and will anyone listen ????
We tow with an F150 EcoBoost MaxTow and find the trailer very light on the tongue. Still trying to get balance right, but way more "bucking" than there should be.
We love the layout and have been full time since the end of July - a month after we took delivery. We plan to travel a fair bit and the 2703 seems to be the best compromise for space, towing, and access to the places we want to go.
From what I read on these forums the quality issues are rampant in the industry, and I'm glad we opted for a sensible option to try this lifestyle out instead of going for the top end "bling" and still having quality issues. Unfortunately, it seems you must be prepared to take delivery of a less than quality product and then make it work for you. This probably means whatever you buy or order, you should plan on an extra grand or two and a few months to sort everything out.
But once everything works ...... it's great !!
islandr8 is online now Report Post
islandr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #38

Islandr8
We just took delivery of a 2703WS and we carry a 2/3 tank of clean water and an extra 100 lbs of gear upfront to compensate for light tongue. Are you using a wdh and two anti-sway bars? Ours had a burned out awning motor and a broken kitchen lamp. We also notice the cabinet over the sink and the window side was coming apart. Gonna fix that myself. We use a Heat Surge mini-glo fireplace and set it next to the TV.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...20glo%20heater

2013 Ford supercab STX 5.0
Old 10-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #39

Joe Wessling- Also have a Rockwood 2703WS and have been struggling getting sway under control. You may have hit on the answer.

I am pulling with a 2012 f150 short bed Platinum screw, eccoboost, Reese dual sway. Plenty of power.. But sway is a significant issue. I have upgraded to shocks to Bilstein 5100 and Michelin LT load range E, packed up the front storage area of the the trailer with at least 100 pounds of stuff - still white knuckles. Then loaded up the truck bed woth another 100 pounds of stuf. Maybe that helped..

Just got back from about 1k mile trip in New England (4th time out), still not good. Maybe carrying a lot of fluids in the tanks is the answer to hold this big box down. Just seems like this trailer is too light. I will try carrying fresh water and see if I can get the hitch readjusted. Hopefully, that will be the answer. I have pulled other trailers and believe there must be a way to drive at 55 without max stress.

Open to other suggestions. Thanks
PaPharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #40

{PaPharmer- I Don't know the perfect answer yet, don't know if I ever will. First trip out was close to perfect weight ratio. First trip out was mostly 2 lane roads and 45 mph and almost no sway. Second trip saw more interstate and sway was more noticeable at 55 to 60 mph. Truck is pure stock. My neighbor pulls a Winnebago one 35 feet and 6900lbs dry. He replaced the truck tires with 10 plys. He also has a Ford f150 but he got the heavy duty tow package and says he has no issues.

Next trip is about 800 miles total. I will let you know how that plays out. Interestingly the first trip I got about 11mpg at the lower speeds. Secondtrip about 9.5 and higher speeds. Pushing the air down the road seems to make a difference.

My 2703WS has the emerald Package and dry weight of 6467 lbs. Anyone else with this combination with any feedback would be welcome.

2013 Ford f-150 supercab STX 5.0