Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I had a 2703 SD and no matter what I did I could not get it to play nice. The weight of the opposing slide rear of the axles makes the back end heavy. By dropping the front 2 inches lower the handling got better and water tank full helped more. Any type of side wind and it wa white knuckle drive. I has a Reese dual can sway system. I wss wondering if 800 lbs bars were too light and I needed 1000 lb bars. I traded for the fifth wheel before I ditched it.

Sent from my Z30 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #42

Be careful carring too much liquids, mine has 6680# on 7000# axles and tire capacity with only 10 gal of fresh water and no grey or black
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #43
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
Be careful carring too much liquids, mine has 6680# on 7000# axles and tire capacity with only 10 gal of fresh water and no grey or black

Don't forget to add the tongue weight to the axle weight which will add 600 plus pounds to your carrying capacity.

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 12-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #44

Thumbs up Rockwood 2703 WS Sway Update

Update: I posted a couple of months ago about my sway issues with this trailer and I am compelled to give anyone interested an update.

I went back to Hanover PA Camping World to explain (for the 3rd time) how totally dissatisfied I was with the way this camper pushed my F150 all over the road. < 1st - They sold me the camper, the Reese hitch and did the initial setup. 2nd trip - They told me I needed to buy tires with stiffer sidewalls.>> This time they gave the rig to a different mechanic to figure out my towing issue - and this guy really knew what he was doing!

Upon pickup several hours later, he said "The way this hitch was setup it was not doing a "****ing thing! The equalizer bars where barely tight and not carrying the weight they should. Also, the anti-sway system was not adjusted properly and did not have enough weight on it to work even if it had been adjusted correctly..." He basically told me it was setup like I had just put the trailer on the ball and not bothered hooking up anything else.

Other trailers I have pulled (all smaller with the largest being 20 foot) all seemed to be securely linked to the tow vehicle. This trailer always seemed loose somehow. Well NO MORE! When you hit a dip in the road the truck and trailer now all seem to move as one unit. I could not believe the difference. Before at 50-55 mph I felt I was at my control limit. Now at 70-75 mph everything seems rock solid. I went out of my way to get to Interstate 81 here in the Harrisburg PA area. This is major truck route hauling freight to the Northeast. I went slow and let the trucks fly around me a 75 mph plus - No sway. I then passed a couple of them at 75-80 and still everything felt tight, controlled and solid.

So I have to admit I was wrong. I was unjustly angry at Rockwood for the way this trailer towed. But after this last trip to Camping World, they flipped the drawbar over, dropped the head and reset everything. Now I could not be happier with this trailer. We always loved the floor plan, and now I love how it tows. My wife and I truly "happy campers" that are waiting for warmer weather so we can take off for the Rocky Mountains in the spring. Happy trails to all... Jan and Jack
PaPharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #45

Towing

Happy to hear you're towing problem is resolved. I never had trouble with my 2703. When I came back from the dealer after picking it up, I noticed they hadn't put the hitch on right and it wouldn't level up correctly. I have an Equalizer hitch and had to move the tongue sway bar brackets back to the correct length then turn the hitch head over in order to get the correct vehicle level on my 1/2 Chevy. Now, even with a 600+ pound four wheeler in the back, the trailer and the truck sit level and there are no problems with towing.

Happy camping!
wyoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #46

75 to 80 mph? That is down right scary. Remember those Chinese tires are not meant for those speeds.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe wessling View Post
75 to 80 mph? That is down right scary. Remember those Chinese tires are not meant for those speeds.
That's asking for trouble.
How do you think you're gonna stop that combination in an emergency ?
I never tow over 62mph...but that's just me !
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #48
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe wessling View Post
Yowza! I hope he was just doing that as a brief test.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #49

[QUOTE=Rockwoodjoe;662914]We are picking up a 2015 2703ws first week of August. The dealer is including a wdh. My TV is a 2013 ford f150 super cab with 5.0 and 3.55 rear rated to pull 9500 lbs. Should I use one or two sway
You need 2 sway bars for sure.
Anything over 25' should use 2
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #50

Outside storage compartment broken into yesterday. We keep our Rockwood locked behind a 6 foot fence next to our commercial building. The door and the compartments were locked. The slam latch locks apparently are easily compromised. Compartment door was still locked but in the open position. Storage bins were sitting next to the trailer but nothing was taken. We bought motion sensor high decibel alarms about a year ago. I believe when he tried to jimmy the door the alarm went off and he must have taken off. You can buy these alarms at Harbor freight (package of two for about $6. After this experience I have added 4 more. One on all the storage doors and one under the pull out steps. Just have to remember to turn them all off when opening doors .

Vibration Alarm Two Pack
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote