Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #1

Rockwood 2703WS LED's too bright

Our 2016 Rockwood 2703WS has LED lights throughout. We find that many of them are just too bright. Do any of you have the same issue, if so what did you do to "tone" them down?
nicholsm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:03 PM   #2

We too think the LED's are a bit bright - especially for evening. We chose to add 2 lamps on the entertainment shelves (one on either corner) and use those for the most part. Also a lamp in the bedroom. During the day enough light comes in naturally and at night it gives us the perfect lighting for a more "home like" feel.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #3

I don't have that same trailer but in our unit we thought the lights were too bright at times too. I added a remote control light dinner.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #4

I thought about a dimmer, might research that option and put it on the control panel.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Change the bulbs....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:55 PM   #6

We have a 2013 rockwood 2608ws it has the stanard 12v bulbs which we think are to bright and harsh. Went to cw and ordered all replacement LED light fixtures with dimmable switches. Should fix the problem. Its a little pricey but since we will have the tt for several years it will be worth it to regulate how much light we need at each fixture. Also easier on the batteries and it will be an upgrade when we decide to sell. Changing tail lights to Led also.
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:32 AM   #7

Use eBay

If you buy the cheapest LED bulbs you find on eBay, they will be dimmer. You generally have to pay more for the brighter bulbs. We changed all of our our on our old ROO. Most of our fixtures have two bulbs, so you could remove one.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #8

Led light too bright

We have a 2012 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8319SS. I recently replaced all the factory lights with LEDS. Love them. We don't think they're too bright but every time you turn on a light in the bath or bedroom, it knocks out the TV reception, strange. Any thoughts?
BTW, Eversale.com has the best prices on LEDs that I have found anywhere and they are great people. $3.49 each as opposed to CW at $51.00 for 6.
Rodney-the-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You have but a couple options if your LED's are too bright.

As mentioned, if the bulbs are replaceable style, lower lumen bulbs could help.

Many of the LED light fixtures in newer units are coming with non-replaceable wafer style LED bulb/modules. You simply can't replace the bulb/wafer. In this case, (as was also mentioned) you can replace the entire light fixture with ones with a built in dimmer.

An alternative to replacing the entire unit, (if you are handy/and able to do a little wiring modifications) is to install miniature DC to DC voltage step-down controllers to the voltage supply wires. They can be easily concealed in the existing housing.

HERE are several examples.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #10

The dc to dc controller may not work. Some of the led's have voltage regulators built in and even if you drop the voltage the brightness will not change. What you need is a PWM led dimmer. There are many different styles available. I have a remote control one that I wired into the light switch circuit that way I can still use the switch to turn the light on and off.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #11
KnP

There are some transparent plastic folders used for school projects. If you can buy a few (dirt cheap) you might be able to cut out some plastic sheets into lenses. Instal from the inside. Perhaps can be changed to different colors.

Another is spray paint but that is a more permanent solution. I spray painted my garage door windows white. Light comes in nicely with the privacy.

Just a thought..
KnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
There are some transparent plastic folders used for school projects. If you can buy a few (dirt cheap) you might be able to cut out some plastic sheets into lenses. Instal from the inside. Perhaps can be changed to different colors.

Another is spray paint but that is a more permanent solution. I spray painted my garage door windows white. Light comes in nicely with the privacy.

Just a thought..
Parchment paper, like is used for cooking, works well too. It folds and shapes easily. Since LEDS have no heat to speak of it is not a danger to burn.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsm4 View Post
Our 2016 Rockwood 2703WS has LED lights throughout. We find that many of them are just too bright. Do any of you have the same issue, if so what did you do to "tone" them down?
What type socket is in your fixture?
MacGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:39 AM   #14

I have not opened the light to determine that, hope to do so this weekend and will let you know.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
What type socket is in your fixture?
I replaced all light fixtures with euro style pancake led dimmable fixtures with white lens from camping world. It was a bit pricey but well worth it to us. There is no harsh glare what so ever. And each fixture has a dimmable switch. I recommend changing fixtures that have white lens replacements or get the dimmable type as we did.
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsm4 View Post
I have not opened the light to determine that, hope to do so this weekend and will let you know.
If they use the 921, 912, 168 wedge type sockets I can give you an Amazon link for the bulbs I use. They are a bit dimmer with little to no glare and cost $22 for a quantity of 20.

MacGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, rockwood