Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #1

Rockwood 2706WS buy local for more $$ or elsewhere for less $$

We are just getting back into RVing after 15-20 years. We have been looking for some time and landed on the Rockwood Ultra Lite 2706WS. It will work for us when we take it out or when our 30yr old kids take it out or when all (grandparents, kids and grandkids) take it out. Here is our dilemma. The local Rockwood dealer is 30 minutes away in Carson City. They have 2 arriving at the end of June. One already has a deposit on it. We went down to verify the fit and finish of the other Rockwood Ultra Lite models on the lot. We liked what we saw so we sat down to talk price. We were ready for the "negotiation game" to begin. We came in low and they came in at MSRP. So we came up and they came down to 34k and would not move. In fact, told us we would probably have to walk (nicely) because we were too far apart. We were surprised it stopped there but okay. As we were walking out the salesman than says well maybe we could throw the hitch and solar panels in and some other stuff but my wife was pretty much done with this guy. We had told the salesman we could get the trailer from BestRV in California for 29K (about 3 hours away with 5 on site). He said go ahead and good luck dealing with them. Well, I checked the local dealership customer ratings when I got home and they were not any better (wish I had this info earlier) than BestRV. Soooo the question is to all of you experienced folks, do we buy local for $4-5K more for local warranty service or go to the over hill to the valley and purchase for less. If you simply look at numbers it's a no brainer. We’re looking for some angle we have missed. For $5000 bucks difference, it would be hard to buy local. What are we missing? I am considered pretty handy so I am not afraid to fix things as needed.
I have been reading all of the shared information going back and forth; it's a pretty cool thing to see/read. Thanks for sharing. I’m looking forward to sharing in the future.
N2it4NOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
WFD

There are many stories in the forums here of people choosing to buy local, thinking it will be better for warranty work, just to find out the local dealer is horrible to deal with when it comes to service and repair work...or to find out the local dealer will tie up your trailer for weeks while you sit in the queue waiting for repairs...not saying your dealer will be one of those but just be aware of this...for $5000 I would take my chances. As you say you are handy so chances are you will fix anything yourself better and faster than the dealer will. Other thing to consider is that theses trailers don't normally break down while sitting in your driveway close to the dealer. It will likely break down while in use on a camping trip, so you may not be close to the dealer and you will be faced with fixing it so you can enjoy the rest of the trip, or pack up and return home.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #3

Just me but I wouldn't buy if he came at you with MSRP. NO ONE pays MSRP, that would insult me & I would have walked
Old 05-20-2017, 10:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Other thing to consider is that theses trailers don't normally break down while sitting in your driveway close to the dealer. It will likely break down while in use on a camping trip, so you may not be close to the dealer and you will be faced with fixing it so you can enjoy the rest of the trip, or pack up and return home.
Great tip on being on the road...great insight on that. Thanks for the quick response too.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2ToyHauling View Post
Just me but I wouldn't buy if he came at you with MSRP. NO ONE pays MSRP, that would insult me & I would have walked
Yeah my wife, the redhead, agrees with you... need I say more.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #6

$5K savings for a 3+ hour trip! No brainer for me. Make the drive. That money will buy a lot of the stuff you don't know you need, but do

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #7
WFD

I know some folks have had major repairs done under warranty...I get that...but we are on our 3rd trailer bought from new and although each one has needed some minor fixes...they were all minor enough that I just fixed them myself, my way... and I didn't have to haul the trailer back to a dealer and have it tied up for however long missing out on being able to use it. 2 of the 3 were bought several hundred miles away from home because we saved a bundle, and I would not hesitate to do it again if the deal warranted doing so.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #8

RED HEAD HERE....

Thank you for confirming what we were already thinking! The place where the warranty work will take place... can just be another trip/adventure - it's tough not buying local, however, $5,000 takes you to a LOT more places!

Thanks for all your comments...
Old 05-20-2017, 11:22 PM   #9
Site Team

Only you can decide what would be best. Part of the problem is that camping season has started up and sales are up. If you don't buy it someone else is likely to. Fall might be a better time to make a deal when sales are slower and dealers are starting to get ready for the new models to arrive. Check for dates for RV shows in your area - here is my area its in October.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Only you can decide what would be best. Part of the problem is that camping season has started up and sales are up. If you don't buy it someone else is likely to. Fall might be a better time to make a deal when sales are slower and dealers are starting to get ready for the new models to arrive. Check for dates for RV shows in your area - here is my area its in October.
Thank you! Yes, that's good information as well! Unfortunately/Fortunately, we are likely to purchase something in the next month.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:50 PM   #11
Site Team

That's understandable. May you be out camping in your new RV soon.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:19 AM   #12

My dealer (GiantRV) matched BestRV's price so I bought locally.
stevedfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:37 AM   #13
Site Team

We ran into something similar 10 years ago.
Western dealers know they have their customers over a barrel.
Most won't drive 3 hours away, let alone all the way to the Midwest, to save money.
We were told by 3 local dealers, Best RV being one of them, to go drive to the Midwest if we wanted similar prices.

We ended up doing that and saved thousands of dollars, even after trip costs.

FR found us local dealers willing to do the warranty work.

Realize that Best RV has a terrible after-the-sale reputation.

Contact FR for other dealers that would be willing to do the warranty work even you didn't buy from them.
Or you can use an independent RV shop and get reimbursed for the work, if you get pre-approval from FR.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:23 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Another vote for taking the drive. $5000 will go a LONG way towards out of pocket repairs IF NEEDED.

This is true no matter where you buy your RV, but especially if you buy it long distance...do not take delivery until every tiny thing is to your satisfaction. As long as they are waiting for your money, you will be surprised how quickly things can get done. Once you take delivery, you will again be amazed, but this time for how long and painfully slow repairs will be (generally speaking).
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #15

Thanks again for the informative advice. We will be making the money drive.
Enjoy all.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #16

There are dealers in Indiana who will sell you that unit for about 25500. I know...we are looking at the same model.
Check Wana rv.....RVWholesalers....Tri County Rv
It would be an adventure to drive across country to pick up your new camper and save 10000 bucks.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #17

I bought one of my RVs from RV Wholesalers and the other one from BestRV. Both were good experiences, because I knew exactly what I wanted to buy and pay. BestRV costs a bit more due to shipping costs from Indiana (which can be 3-4K unless you drive there yourself), and they take care of CA tax and license.

If you have the time, I think it would be fun and informative to drive to Indiana, arrange a tour of the Forest River Factory while in the neighborhood, and camp a day or two nearby the dealer in case there are some immediate warranty issues. Most of those issues can be avoided by a careful several hour PDI at the dealers, which RVW is known to do. I also got RVW to throw in and set up a Equilizer 4 way hitch after negotiating the purchase price.

The only additional hassle with buying at RVW was I eventually had to pay CA taxes and visit the DMV to inspect the trailer and get CA registration, which was 8.5% of purchase price plus license fees. Buying at Best RV avoids these additional steps.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #18

When we looked for our Windjammer we had a similar choice and we drove 675 miles to save $6000. When it needed warranty work we went to the dealer Forest River recommended.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #19

If your are talking about Michael Hohl in Carson City, good luck getting them to budge...and warranty work, wouldnt take my lawn mower there. Drove back east to pick mine up in Ohio.....Good Luck and Have Fun...
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #20

I don't ever see us buying local again. They just can't or won't compete. Last rig we drove 13 hours one way to pick up, and we would go farther to save 10k+. Internet shopping is great

Have had no problems getting warranty work done anywhere in the west. We try certified independents first. Then you don't have to deal with all the problems you encounter at dealers service shops.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood