Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #1

Rockwood 5th items failing

We have a 2008 rockwood 8285SS. The front jacks have quit working. Thankfully they were up. We are using Scissor Jacks until it is fixed.The fresh water tank has broken loose. Anyone had these problems, if so how were they fixed.

About a year ago we lost both wheel bearings on the left. The brakes were gone on one wheel. Stay away from I5 in CA. it was really bad with big holes. Also, we nolonger travel with the chairs on the sofa.
Roger&Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Site Team

What area of the 15 freeway?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
What area of the 15 freeway?
Runs from San Diego-LA-Sacramento-Eugene, OR -Portland - Seattle.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Runs from San Diego-LA-Sacramento-Eugene, OR -Portland - Seattle.
I'm looking for which area of California the op was referring to. I haven't come across any holes, big or small, on the 15 freeway in my area but it would be a good heads up in case someday my travels takes me outside of the box.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #5

It was from Sacramento to Bakersfield in the right lane and it was in 2010. We did not move our 5th wheel in 2011. I hope the I5 is fixed by now. When I stopped in Bakersfield I had smoke from the left wheels. The only thing holding the wheel on was the bolt. There were lots of very big and deep holes in the freeway.

It also looks like the floor where the heater vents run is giving in. The under panels in the back and the slide awning have stripped bolts.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #6

Wow! I have an '08 Rockwood 8265S and haven't had near that many problems. I did have to have the left front landing gear leg replaced under warranty because I over retracted the landing gear. I now know better. Also had to replace the water filter and shower faucet/head because I let them freeze and bust. But we also don't use our 5th wheel a whole lot and it also is stored under an RV port.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #7

Update: The fresh water tank is not coming loose. The cover on the sub-floor is the problem. The cover is coming loose from the wood that it is attached to. This wood is attached by maybe two screws, on each side, to the frame. In some places the wood is no longer attached to the frame.

Now for the 3rd time the heater has quit. Have not looked at the why yet.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #8

That is a 5 year old camper. The front jacks quitting all of a sudden is likely just an electrical issue, and the wheel bearings/brakes have to be serviced and parts replaced when necessary. Nothing unusual there.
Good luck with the repairs.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #9

The last poster does not know of what he says. He is totally wrong. I will not post here again!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #10

Moderator please delete this tread!!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #11

I don't understand...Why the hostility?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyJunk View Post
I don't understand...Why the hostility?
X2
Old 08-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #13

Bad & long day, Sorry.

The jack problem is not a electric motor, it turns out it is a jambed jack. I will have it repaired (using 2 scissor jacks now) I have contacted my repair guy. The wheel bearings have always been taken care of and packed several times. It really was very deep and a lot of holes on I5 that caused it, there was a lot of smoke when I stopped. I have been taking care of a several problems due to all of the vibrations that day. The heater control board has gone out several times. I will most likely put a 'Dinosaur Board' in this time.

We travel a lot & are in the 5th wheel about 6 months out of the year. We really like it. We take good care of the 5th wheel & maintain it on a regular basis. It has been through all kinds of weather & road conditions.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #14

I would also like to point out that this 5th wheel has been in Freezing rain, several feet of snow, icy roads, damaging hail (loosing both awnings, roof vent covers, side vents, & damaging the decals), extended temperatures from below freezing to 118 degrees. Some very, very rough roads. We treat the roof and the sides twice a year.

The Rockwood has with stood it all.

Roger & Emily
Old 08-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #15

In that case, Forest River should be paying you to do a commercial on the toughness of their fifth wheels.
You must have a ton of miles on that puppy!
About that jammed jack, I know we all have to be careful when retracting them, as they don't like being retracted all the way, as the gears could possibly break when the jack bottoms out. There really should be an electric cutoff switch to cut the power before they bottom out, because there are no warnings about the potential for damage. No big surprise there, as we are pretty much on our own as far as learning about our campers goes.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #16

The interstate 15 that we drive starts at Sweet Grass, Montana / Coutts Alberta. .
Wikipedia:
Interstate 15 (I-15)travels through the states of California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and Montana from San Diego to the Canadian border, serving the major cities of Las Vegas and Salt Lake City.
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
The interstate 15 that we drive starts at Sweet Grass, Montana / Coutts Alberta. .
Wikipedia:
Interstate 15 (I-15)travels through the states of California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and Montana from San Diego to the Canadian border, serving the major cities of Las Vegas and Salt Lake City.
The OP was referring to I-5
Old 08-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
The OP was referring to I-5
Oops! I haven't been on that section of I-5 but coming from San Clemente heading north isn't all that smooth in places either.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #19

I also have a 2008 fifth wheel 8285, In the front storage compartment on the right hand side just right of the battery holder there is a couple of fuse holders. check those fuses one is for the slide ans the other might be for the landing gear!!
wgood is offline   Reply With Quote