Old 05-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #1

Rockwood 8280 ws rim

Greetings, I am hopeful someone can answer my questions. I have a tire and rim that has a slow leak has anyone used tire sealer on their tires? I have replaced tire and valve stems on all tires still have the leak. If I have to replace the rim where is the best place to find one to match?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0067.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	172263

Biggs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
llr

have you tried submerging the tire in water to find the leak?

how fast does it leak? IE 10lbs in XX hours.

if it was a rim leak and not tire/bead/valve stem. I would not try fixing it as I would think it must be a defect or damage to the rim.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #3

Leak

You should be able to soapy-water and find the leak after removing the wheel. I'd suspect the valvestem even the valve core. - OR if old enough, aluminum corrosion between bead and tire (rare). Lionshead probably made this rim. Close to $100 so pays to shop around. The rim is the last thing on your list to leak usually. Good Luck. The green goo is nothing I'd ever do. On New, powered vehicles with TPMS - it ruins the sensor.
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. I checked the Lionshead site and found the wheels I have. To add to the information this is the third set of valve stems and the tires were replaced six months ago. The leak is about 3lbs in 24 hrs. In checking online Rv parts dealers they mostly show 15x5 5x4.5 I believe mine are 15x6 5x4.5 That shows the correct weight rating. Guess I will have to keep compressor handy until I find something.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #5

My 21ss has those rims and they dont have a problem. I had a car that required airing up all 4 tires every two weeks. ( two were much worse) After getting new tires the issue continued. The rims looked alright but my mechanic wire brushed the rims and then brushed on a bead sealant.

The sealant helped me go about two months at a time.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
Not a newbie

My Lions Head factory wheels with China Bombs lost 2-4 #s a week regularly. When I changed to Endurance tires they quit leaking. From October 2017 to April 2018 they (all 4) lost 2#s each. During the same time period my two China Bomb spares lost 25#s each.
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Forester View Post
You should be able to soapy-water and find the leak after removing the wheel. I'd suspect the valvestem even the valve core. - OR if old enough, aluminum corrosion between bead and tire (rare). Lionshead probably made this rim. Close to $100 so pays to shop around. The rim is the last thing on your list to leak usually. Good Luck. The green goo is nothing I'd ever do. On New, powered vehicles with TPMS - it ruins the sensor.
I had a slow leak in our old rockwood and could not find the leak till I took the wheel and tire to a tire dealer and they put it in a tank and we found bubbles coming from the wheel. A small spot of corrosion on the inside and sure enough the wheel was bad.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs44 View Post
Greetings, I am hopeful someone can answer my questions. I have a tire and rim that has a slow leak has anyone used tire sealer on their tires? I have replaced tire and valve stems on all tires still have the leak. If I have to replace the rim where is the best place to find one to match?Attachment 172263

The clips on the MC type wheel weights you have, are also bad about causing small leaks...as clips on wheel weights actually form a wedge between the tire bead and rim. If you find them leaking here, you can sometimes just have the weight removed, then reinstalled, and it'll quit leaking. We see this several times a week at the shop.

"Yes,we have reservations..but we'll eat here anyway!"...is what I say to every greeting host/hostess in a restaurant!
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #9

Spray some soapy water all over the rim, its possible you have a small crack somewhere on it.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
woodyrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #10

Just a quick update. I finally got time to remove the wheel and tire. Sprayed soapy water all over the wheel. I had a small amount of foam form around the base of the valve stem then I went to the local tire shop and put in dip tank no visible bubbles. I had valve stem replaced now we wait and see.

Tags
280, rockwood