Old 02-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
Rockwood 8280WS auxiliary refrigerator

We just purchased a new 2015 Rockwood 8280WS Ultralite. We really like the unit. However, we have no use for the auxiliary refrigerator for the outdoor kitchen and would rather devote the space to carrying some bulky, but lightweight, camera equipment. The trouble is, I can't for the life of me see how the refrigerator is fastened to the bottom of the compartment.

Has anyone else ever removed this refrigerator? Can you offer any advice about the nature of the mount?

Many thanks.

nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Never mind

We found it. There were just 2 wood screws, one well hidden by the hinge at the front left and another equally hidden by the power cord at the right rear. The screws were only driven into press board, so it probably wasn't a very secure installation anyway. Glad to have the refrigerator out and more storage room. The little fridge will fit nicely in my shop, though!

Old 02-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
Fill with Beer and call the Phat Phrogs! Youroo!! They would have Gladly removed it for you!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
Auxiliary refrigerator

We just bought a 2016 8280ws. We may do the same as you and remove it but right now I'd just like to know how to turn it off. The manual says there is a thermostat you can turn to 0 but I can't find it anywhere. Do you have to unplug it?
5thwheelpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #5
Aux fridge out, I went one step further and framed off and panelled the

You know, we removed it and never even looked inside the unit, so I can't help you out. But unplugging it will definitely shut it off!

After I got the fridge out, I went one step further and framed out and paneled the compartment with thin plywood and then sheets of thin foam insulation. Before doing this the fridge compartment opened into an area back of some kitchen drawers and there was a noticeable draft on cold nights. Closing off the compartment made a big difference!

Enjoy your 8280Ws. We sure like ours. Until we retired, we only took shorter trips and so made do with a smaller unit. At the end of our first long stay last winter, we were climbing the walls and knew a new trailer was in our future. The 8280WS has turned out to be a very good choice, at least for us.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
8280WS Aux Refrigerator.

This small fridge has no temperature control, and no way to turn it off. It is on as long as you are plugged into shore power. I installed an inline switch in the line cord that is reachable from the outside. Problem solved.

Steve & Chris Fitzgerald
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280WS
2006 Ram 2500 w/Cummins 5.9
steve819 is offline   Reply With Quote

280, 8280ws, refrigerator, rockwood