Old 11-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #21
I just went to dig into this. It was actually really easy to remove the fireplace, only takes about 1 minute.
Now the filter is at least where I can reach it but as you can from the pic's it is still buried with wires and hoses. Today the filter housing appears to be full of pink, not like yesterday, showing 1/3 clear on the bottom, It must have been air. That is the good news, Now for the bad news.
From the rest of my pic's you can see leaks everywhere, the water inlet line to the filter, the filter housing itself, the water pump, the inline water filter screen.
Pink stuff laying on the wires, hoses, water pump and floor. It does not look as if it was leaking this fall when hookup up to city water. There are no visible signs of water stains anywhere.
For the money I paid for this unit, I'm going to make them fix all the leaks.
running 120 volt electrical wires under a water supply is not the smartest thing to do, but neither is putting the water filter were it is.

Here is a list of items they need to fix so far,
Crazy isn't it? so many items on a $52000 unit. Words cant express my disappointment with the absence of quality control.

Defect in rim
Shower door will not close without lifting up on it, it is hanging down, weather-strip on the bottom is now ripping off
LED light on nose cap has a bad LED
Defect in the couch material, the seam is coming apart
Raised striation marks in the exterior fiberglass
Driver side fiberglass over the left side of the slide is sticking out about 1/2" further then the rest of the wall creating a noticeable vertical line in the camper. Im afraid that will be the perfect spot for delamination in a few years since it appears to be under a lot of stress from being bowed out.
Fire place shuts off and wont restart without resetting the on/off switch, the manual says it is overheating
USB charger port in bedroom does not work
two bulbs out in ceiling fan
Frig wont stay lit in propane mode while driving down the road, error light flashes
Top door hinge in bedroom door is very loose, screws appear to be stripped out
Graphics sticker is peeling off of the nose cap
Bedroom slide seal is falling off
Bathroom sliding door has defect in end
Water filter housing leaks
Water filter inlet line leaks
Water pump line leaks
Water pump filter housing screen leak

Hitch_Itch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #22

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #23
Damn this went from a Water Filter Access post to a (Complete Rebuild)? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #24
Yup, Sux 2 b me
Old 11-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #25
I sent an email to forest river about access to the water filter.
Here is the response I received, Rather amusing, Not really.

It looks like access to the water filter canister is difficult to get to but possible. Under the e-center, inside the cabinet is an access to get to it. You may have to remove the subwoofer for access. This may not be convenient I understand. But it is not intended to be accessed very often and installed in the trailer early in the building process.

Chris Hollowell
Forest River, Inc
Flagstaff/Rockwood Division
Warranty Administrator

Here is my response to him:
I have tried to remove the subwoofer. You cannot remove the sub woofer because there is an L bracket that is screwed to the back of the subwoofer and down into the floor. The opening in the cabinet is on 1" larger then the subwoofer so you cannot reach above the subwoofer to feel for the screw and remove it.

It is intended to be accessed yearly because the owners manual says to remove the filter before winterizing. You also need to get to the same location to change the three way valve on the water pump to activate the winterizing port.

Only other option that might be possible is to remove the entire fireplace to gain access to the filter. I cant believe that forest river would have it designed to do so twice a year. Once to remove the filter to winterize and once in the spring to re-install the filter for use. Even if you remove the entire fireplace, a person would need to craw in the cabinet and reach through the wires and water lines to reach the filter. This is not something the average owner would be able to do themselves. I can because I have a life long background in construction but just because I can take the trailer apart does not mean I should have to do so to gain access to a regularly maintained part.

Please advice me further, since the subwoofer removal is not an option.
I can send more pictures upon your request to further state my case.

Thank you,
Old 11-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #26
Of course Mr. Hollowell's response refers to the pre-fireplace design, where there was cabinetry below the TV, now a fireplace.
steve819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #27
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
When I suggested rerouting/relocating the filter, I also said the whole mess which would include moving the water pump.

The person that decided that location, was not an engineer, probably a person with an accounting background wanting to save a few pennies. That person should be Tarred and Feathered and run out of the country.
Sounds like a damn engineer to me. They always do stupid things like put vacuum valves that have to be serviced in non serviceable areas. Did I pell everything correctly? That's NC talk...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #28
Well today was eventful,
Spoke with Rockwood and my Camping World service manager. they want me to bring the unit down to them tomorrow so they can get started on the repairs.
They said they will first look at the fiberglass issue to determine if it is going back to the manufacturing plant to be repaired. My dealer is going to try and get Rockwood to pay to relocate the entire water system to a more serviceable location. Shouldn't take to much since they will have most of it all apart to fix all the leaks.

I asked both my dealer and Rockwood, At what point do you consider this a lemon and for me to get a replacement unit. when you guys are done making all of the repairs, I will have paid for a new unit and received a refirb.
No answer from either, they both avoided the question.

Things should start to happen in about a week, I will let you guys know what I find out.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #29
Water Filter - Final Word

I took my fiver back to the dealer to get some minor warranty issues addressed, one of them being my inability to open the water filter housing. Turns out they could not get it open either. So I told them to remove it completely, and modify the plumbing to eliminate it. They did. It was plumbed up to filter the water from the supply tank only, not the street supply. Unreal.
I will use an external filter from now on.
Also, with the installation of the fireplace, they eliminated the air return grill for the furnace. The expectation is that it will get it's supply air from the basement, and the area under the bathroom. Not a very good design. I will look to install a return air grill next to the fireplace. I am not impressed with the engineering in this area.
BTW my unit was built Dec 2013.
Steve & Chris Fitzgerald
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280WS
2006 Ram 2500 w/Cummins 5.9
steve819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #30
The grill to the left of the fireplace also houses my sub woofer, the grill cannot be eliminated

The dealer has had my unit for 7 days now and I haven't heard back from them

I'm getting annoyed with the situation, I leave voice messages and no one returns my call

280, 8280ws, fifth wheel, rockwood, water, water filter, wheel