Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #41
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If they had to change the water filter on some of these units they would reconsider the placement for sure!

TURBS.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
You know, OC, I've often wondered if the people that designed RV's were made to live in them for two weeks or so, if the industry would have much better products to sell us regular folks.....
That's for d--- sure. At IH, the engineers had to go to the field and actually work on the combines. Sure woke a lot of them up. Of course some things are just by nature a PITA to work on, but campers are sure not one of them. Just 5 minutes of forethought would eliminate most serviceable item problems
Old 11-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I haven't read any other posts on your thread, but it sounds like you have a crappy dealer. Without angst, anger, or attitude- I'd talk to the Rockwood warranty manager about helping you to find a different dealer (or even possibly a factory return). When my Sabre hit the fan, I wanted to rant and rage and throw small people about, but I took a couple of days to calm down and finally was able to approach things professionally; the Sabre warranty manager actually thanked me (because they had the exact opposite at the same time- someone who hinted at lawyers and raged wildly).

Just a pro tip- don't utter or even hint at lawyers with Rockwood. You'll be sent straight to their lawyers and out of the hands of the warranty manager (per company policy).
What I want to do and how I am handling are two totally different things

i have been in constant contact with FR warranty admin. The only thing he keeps telling me is that the dealer has not submitted any new work orders for my unit. Nothing about how to resolve this issue.

Hitch
Hitch_Itch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #44
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch_Itch View Post
What I want to do and how I am handling are two totally different things

i have been in constant contact with FR warranty admin. The only thing he keeps telling me is that the dealer has not submitted any new work orders for my unit. Nothing about how to resolve this issue.

Hitch
I know all about wants vs. actual handling. I wanted to do many bad things when my crap hit the fan.

I'd ask the Rockwood warranty manager outright about getting out from under your dealer. Generally any FR authorized dealership is able to do the work and bill it to the warranty folks. (Whether they will or won't is a different story- but I'm sure the warranty manager can help grease that process for you.)
Old 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #45

Here are the photos my my unit with the fireplace removed. It is the only way to get to the water filter (now deleted) and the demand pump. You can see the furnace in the background. It is about beneath the shower. The close up shows the air intake. Since there is no opening to the living area, it draws it's intake air from the basement, which of course is not sealed off. What is really needed is to attach some duct work to the intake of the furnace, and run it to a grill that draws air from the living space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	66617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0782.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	66618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0783.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	66619  
steve819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #46
Mod free 5er

As I posted before, I would get a grill from Lowes and cut a hole in a step riser to get the living room air intake.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #47

Yes, I could install a register, but without duct work, it just lets cold air and vapors from the basement into the living area. I'm going to throw this issue to Rockwood. As another poster stated, it should not draw air from the basement, as there could be potential hazardous materials stored there. I know I have aerosol cans, disposable propane cylinders, charcoal lighter fluid, etc. stored there.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #48
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve819 View Post
Yes, I could install a register, but without duct work, it just lets cold air and vapors from the basement into the living area. I'm going to throw this issue to Rockwood. As another poster stated, it should not draw air from the basement, as there could be potential hazardous materials stored there. I know I have aerosol cans, disposable propane cylinders, charcoal lighter fluid, etc. stored there.
Is your basement area not blocked off however pitifully as FR does it? If not, I would definitely block it off as best you can to make the register opening in the step riser the path of least resistance for the furnace. Instead of cutting a rectangular hole (s)in the riser(s), cut a couple of 2-2-1/2" dia holes side by side in 2 risers and cover with flat registers.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #49

My basement is heated with a supply duct. Also the basement and the area where the furnace is located is only separated by a carpeted panel that is not air tight, So its all basically one space with a carpeted divider.
I have a subwoofer to the left of my fireplace, It has a finished wood grill covering the subwoofer opening. It can pull air from the living room through the grill.
When The furnace kicks on it is pulling air in from the entire basement area as well as the living room area. In technical terms, It is considered an open plenum return. I would not store any chemicals in the basement area since the fumes could come through the sub woofer grill. The front outside storage area behind the hitch is sealed off from the rest of the unit and is not heated. In that storage area is where the battery is as well as the landing gear motor.

Hitch
Hitch_Itch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #50

As you can see from the pics I posted, my subwoofer is on the left, and there are no grills installed on either side of the fireplace opening. This looks like FR's answer to isolating the storage area from the living area.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Be Careful how you word that in your manual it states do not store any of that stuff in your basement by FR. It's there legal way out. Get a hold of Suburban not FR and have them deal with it, This is the law, they have to pull R/A from the living area, Look in your suburban book it even states it in there. That is your defense. This is by Suburban not FR. That is the only legal way that forced FR to do mine. Do not listen to 1/2 this stuff look this stuff up and then go due your fight. Be ready to defend yourself. It is installed wrong with no R/A . It is against the code and law..... If you do not have the suburban manual, PM me I will copy the section and send it to you plus FR's recommendations, I have both.....Good Luck PS: Reread my post #39 I think I went through this in 2012.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #52

I'm Attaching suburbans note on R/A being pulled from inside living area of the coach. hope you can blow it up to read better. If you need FR about storage I have that to. look under note 1 first paragraph. Once again read my post #39. hope this helps your battle, make them due it right it your environment that you are breathing. I guess I'm just an environmentalist that doesn't want to inhale hazardous chemicals or smells, call me a radical or anything else so what.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RETURN AIR.pdf (679.8 KB, 80 views)

Old 11-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #53

Thanks, as I was too lazy to go out into the cold to get the manual from the trailer.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #54

Quote:
Thanks, as I was too lazy to go out into the cold to get the manual from the trailer.
Your welcome and I was answering you on your problem only.....

Tags
280, 8280ws, fifth wheel, rockwood, water, water filter, wheel