Old 11-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #1

Rockwood 8280WS fifth wheel water filter access ?

For the life of me i cant figure out how to get to the water filter.
I crawled in the trunk storage and removed one of the carpeted side panels, from there I can see the water filter, but it is so far back behind the furnace there is no chance of reaching it. i can see it looks like it sits behind the sub woofer, so i removed the sub woofer grill in the living room thinking I could just remove the sub woofer and reach it from there. Nope, The sub woofer is screwed to the floor from behind, No way to get to that screw.
This seems to be an impossible task.

I noticed the water filter access issue today when i was winterizing the unit. Another Almost impossible task is getting to the water pump valve that changes it from the fresh water tank to the winterizing exterior port. I was able to reach way in there to change the valve position.
After blowing out the lines with air then using the winterizing exterior port and the water pump to pump the pink through the lines, I noticed that the bottom third of the water filter housing looks like its all water and only the top two thirds of the filter housing has pink stuff. Im afraid the housing will freeze and crack if that is all water.

I followed the manuals directions for wintering.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Hitch

Here are some pics, the water looks close because i stuck my arm inas far as I could then zoomed in on it.
The second pic shows how far back it is from the closest access point

Old 11-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #2

Does your FW have the electric fireplace under the TV?? If so the best way is to remove the trim ring by lifting it straight up, remove the four screws holding the fireplace, and slide it out. The filter and demand pump are now easily serviced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0782.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	66076  

Old 11-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #3

Yes, mine is the same

I can't believe Rockwood would design something nearly this stupid
I'm in disbelief, really I am
For $52000 I need to remove my fireplace to change the water filter
Unbelievable

Thanks for the pic

Hitch
Old 11-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #4

I have the 2014 model year of the 8280 (built in July 2013) and the water filter and bypass are easily accessible from the basement storage area. It is very convenient to service. Sorry to hear that yours will not be quite as easy--but at least you now know how to get to it thanks to Steve.

I would unscrew the filter housing and determine if it is air or water that is in there. Or, you could siphon up more anti-freeze and open the faucets again to verify air and water are expelled.

Did you run the pump for 30 seconds with the faucets open to expel any water in the filter housing/lines prior to blowing out? Actually, my first step in winterizing is removing the filter from the housing. I pour the water out of the clear housing and pitch the cartridge filter. I replace the empty clear housing and continue with winterizing. By the time I am finished the clear housing is full of pink anti-freeze.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #5

Ran the pump till air came out of all faucets
40 psi air blown through the lines with all faucets open
4 gallons of pink ran through the lines and into the holding tanks

I can't imagine how water or air can bee in the filter after that

Looks like I'm removing the fireplace tomorrow to find out

Thanks again

Hitch
Old 11-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #6

Likely you have air or water in your filter because you were not able to remove the filter cartridge prior to winterizing (I assume this as you did not have any access to reach the filter). My instructions detail that step prior to either blowing the system out or using the antifreeze. I believe the filter is a solid block of charcoal/carbon that could restrict the flow of even compressed air and/or retain water that would drain down in time and maybe give you the results that you reported.

Good thing is you can now access it in time prior to any freeze damage!
Old 11-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #7

The filter was not installed by the dealer when we bought the unit. I now can see why.
I would think that after a few years of removing/installing the fireplace that the screw holes will become enlarged and eventually strip out causing issues for securing the fireplace to the cabinet.

I have read the owners manual from cover to cover, No mention on how to access the water filter, only mention is to un screw housing remove/install filter.

Im going to have a mess on my hands when I un screw the filter housing, pink is going to pour out of the lines.
stupid, stupid, stupid design.

Hitch
Old 11-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

I would remove the fireplace one time and while it was out, I would revamp the water lines to the filter and move the whole mess to the basement. That has to be one of the dumbest things FR has done.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #9

That would solve the water filter issue, but I would also need to relocate the water pump, otherwise I would still need to remove the fireplace to access the the valve that changes the inlet from fresh water to winterizing port.

Im going to call Rockwood Monday and ask them what is the proper procedure to replace the water filter since it is not listed in the owners manual. I bet the answer will be interesting to hear.

Hitch
Old 11-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch_Itch View Post
Yes, mine is the same

I can't believe Rockwood would design something nearly this stupid
I'm in disbelief, really I am
For $52000 I need to remove my fireplace to change the water filter
Unbelievable

Thanks for the pic

Hitch
After seeing the Pic. of your Install behind the Fireplace I don't feel so bad about ours now! For Under (50.00$) our Water filter is (Outside) where we can keep a eye on it,and don't care if it leaks a little! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2199.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	66081  

Tags
280, 8280ws, fifth wheel, rockwood, water, water filter, wheel