Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #1

Rockwood 8289ws

Anyone have any information they would like to share on the new Rockwood 8289ws 5er? Looking at purchasing and could use the feedback. Like the layout.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Tee

Willy,

Sorry for the late reply, I just today saw your post. I have a 2013 8289WS that I picked up from the dealer Friday 4-6-12. We ordered it mid Feb with an actual factory order placed 2-24-12. We picked it up exactly 7 weeks later and it came in exactly like we wanted. And that is with two phone conversation changes that happened AFTER the 2-24 factory order date. Very pleased with the accomodation of us changing our mind early on.....

I havn't camped in it, however I have spent considerable time in and around it. Oh, and my wife, daughter and I watched a movie in it Sat night. Used the microwave for popcorn and had a grand time. We love the floor plan, I have found a couple very small issues that I was easily able to take care of in the driveway. (water filter canister was loose and leaked, one drawer in the kitchen slide wouldn't stay closed during road time, very minor corrections) Our first actual camping trip is this upcoming weekend.

Please feel free to PM me with specific questions if you have them...

The issue with the furnace that you will find in a search has been corrected on the 2013's Although, I would recommend you take the oportunity to AIR it out well before your first use. There are some odors that come with a freshly built trailer....

T

Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #3

Thanks Tee, after reading your response and how well you like the layout I'm getting more excited for ours to arrive. Supposed to be here by the end of the month. Hope it's a 2013 considering what I've read about the furnance issue. Look forward for more updates. Thanks for letting me PM on anything specific. I'm sure I'll have questions.
Willy
Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #4

Looking at ordering a 8289ws and would appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #5

Make sure your air conditioner is a 15000 btu. I have a 8288ws, air unit is 13500 btu, way too small.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #6

We picked up our 8289ws on June 1st. We love it! The furnace return-air issue was already fixed on ours with the vents in the stair risers. We ordered ours with the 15k a/c, ceiling fan, BBQ, carpet delete, and also slide toppers on all 3 slides.
I like the Revolution hitch, although I did have to spray some wet graphite where the plate rotates as it started to creak on our first return trip. I have a Reese 20k hitch, and the wedge that comes bolted to the Revolution works fine. My dealer didn't set that up for me, but it's not hard.

A couple of dealer-prep issues: Make sure your water heater is not in the bypass mode-you can check this easily by pulling out the 2nd drawer in the front kitchen lower cabinet (right above the door panel w/3 hinges) and then unlocking the guide releases to pull the drawer off the guides. This will allow you to see, and also to reach in and turn the water heater supply valves/bypass valves to the correct position.
I did have an issue with the brakes not being properly adjusted, with a couple of the shoe retaining pins breaking(?) and shoe retainer springs rolling around in the drum, but a local Forest River authorized dealer got that squared away for me with no charge. (See my post "8289 brakes coming apart")

I've begun to replace the interior light bulbs with LEDs, starting with the ceiling fixtures above the table and the sofa-the incandescent bulbs are VERY warm (almost hot) and during the summer made the trailer hotter inside. The 15K a/c seems to hold its own-you can adjust the 3 vents on the unit itself, and if you close those, the ceiling air ducts do a pretty good job, even to the bedroom.

We continue to enjoy how smoothly the trailer pulls, and everywhere we go, people comment on the trailer and love the floor plan.
The only negative is having to run the kitchen slide out if you want to get anything out of the fridge during stops when you're on the road, but the island counter and sink are worth it.

2012 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Package
Days camping in 2012: 20, 2013: 20, 2014: 23, 2015: 10, 2016: 13

Kirk Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #7

Kirk.....Many thanks. All of this is good information. How do you feel about the slide toppers? My dealer is not sold on them being a "have-to-have item".

Glad to hear that your experience so far has been great.''
Old 10-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #8

I also have the same unit, I agree with the last post. I did have to have my breaks adjusted twice, but did not have any broken parts. I traveled over 8000 miles since we got it in feb, 2012. I 'm glad that they are now installing the registers for the return air now. It took sometime and help from the manufacturer for FR to add that now which is standard. I fought for months on that issue. I have not had any problems at all with tire wear or axles. I use the Revolution set up and it is not any harder to hook up as some have said by using it and now I do not have to worry about hitting my cab and can make over 90 degrees turns. I pull it with a F250 6.0 and sometimes forget it is attached. I have been to a cat scale and I mean fully loaded I'm still have a cushion of 650 lbs. My hitch is a Husky 16k. my pin weight is well within the units specs. I love the AL-KO axles but they did take a tube of grease, came a little low, but it's a snap with the design to add grease. I use Lukas red at 550 degree. We also got the toppers, I would not have a unit without them, also on the table side slide there is some wires exposed on the top. I think it is for the over head lite at the table. I also have a 15000 btu unit for our AC if you run the fan on low not high we find that it is a lot quieter. I did have to have the converter replaced due to the fan bearings making a noise now we do even hear it. It is a great unit and it fits our needs. We are very happy with our choice, good luck and happy travels, I'm sure you will love it...
Old 10-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingbear View Post
Kirk.....Many thanks. All of this is good information. How do you feel about the slide toppers? My dealer is not sold on them being a "have-to-have item".

Glad to hear that your experience so far has been great.''
The toppers are not a "have-to-have"...I read quite a few blogs about the pros and cons of toppers. For me the pros won out: keeps water, leaves and debris off the top of the slides, AND in sunny regions they provide SHADE to the top of the slide . The only con so far I've found is when it's windy, the slight flapping (I went outside to look because of the noise) sounded much worse than it looked, but bothered us enough that the 2nd night there I pulled the slide in on the windy side. I have researched a fix for that; there are a couple, but I haven't experienced enough windy camping experiences to go to the expense and trouble of putting a pvc pipe along the middle of the topper with a rope through the middle to tie it down on each end, or, an inflatable topper pillow that goes underneath the topper on top of the slide to create a slight bump to keep water from puddling and keep the fabric from flapping/vibrating in the wind.
I haven't had water-puddling issues, maybe because the toppers are new and the tension is still good enough to keep them from sagging enough to create a puddle.
The BIG plus is to have them factory installed; it's considerably less than what I was quoted for aftermarket/dealer installation. And they're dark brown to go with the Diamond Package theme.
My option sheet listed:
Small Topper: 2@ $290
Large Topper: 1@ $363
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120608_160713 zoom.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	20608   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120922_135026 zoom.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	20609  

2012 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Package
Days camping in 2012: 20, 2013: 20, 2014: 23, 2015: 10, 2016: 13

Kirk Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #10

Kirk-Sr, That is a very nice looking unit, I wish I got the Diamond Package myself, but we are still happy with ours. The only think we have done was add a 2nd battery. Have you had any other problems with it?.....