Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Our truck load is less than 500# which includes TOWTA, myself, dog, hitch & tonneau cover. Bed of truck is usually empty with the exception of 10 of the camco blocks and when we come back from FL with fruit, etc.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #12

That trailer has a dry pin weight of 1524...and yes just with that I am almost at my max payload. We are light packers and I know enough to leverage some of the weight we pack to the back of the trailer to offset some pin weight. I know there is another model that only has about 1085 pin weight but I really cannot get past the floor plan of it. I would of course be looking into airbags to help keep the ride in check. I also have thought about Stabil Load as well...although I know the airbags would be a better bet in the long run.

We also are not frequent campers (at least not yet...lol) and yes I know it is not the best scenario to be slightly over the axle rating. I have no clue where the water tank is for this trailer anyone know? If it is in the back I could also use that for some pin weight relief.

I am about 245 and 150 of my weight is included in the 1550lb payload capacity from Ford. I agree lets not start the weight police rants.

Are these trailers usually heavier in pin weight than they advertise??

Old 08-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceValium View Post
Yes because it wouldn't included full propane or battery(s). That floorplan has most of it's storage in front of the camper axles and I'd expect the pin weight to increase significantly when loaded.

Dave

Edit: We have the rear kitchen floorplan and the weight added there offsets the weight of stuff in the basement.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
I am about 245 and 150 of my weight is included in the 1550lb payload capacity from Ford. I agree lets not start the weight police rants.

In my opinion, getting weighed and doing the actual math of your truck, occupants and cargo is much better than estimating. For instance, my standard load for my family, our stuff and truck add-ons is 1,200 pounds. Heck, I couldn't tow a pop-up with most 1/2-ton trucks! (But, this isn't about me.)

Yes, trailers are always significantly heaver than the advertised pin weight. About the only thing that it's good for is finding the math to find the expected pin weight percentage for that camper - pin weight divided dry weight tells you what the designers expect the pin weight percentage to be.

If you can find yellow stickers on this model camper, you get a better starting point. But even that can be artificially low- for instance (again about me), the day I picked up my camper, it already weighed more than the yellow sticker because of dealer-installed add-ons (slide toppers + JT StrongArm knock-offs for me).

It's said that the average RV'er adds 1,000-1,500 pounds to the advertised dry weight.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Yes because it wouldn't included full propane or battery(s). That floorplan has most of it's storage in front of the camper axles and I'd expect the pin weight to increase significantly when loaded.

Dave

Edit: We have the rear kitchen floorplan and the weight added there offsets the weight of stuff in the basement.
Hmm well that is not good then. I don't foresee us trailering with more than about 5 gallons in the water tank as we have no desire to dry camp. I hadn't thought about the batteries and propane tanks that are up front. Sheesh I was really looking forward to this model too! Has anyone here done some real weights of this trailer to find out what the actual pin weight is empty??
Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I know that the fresh water tank on ours is over the camper's axles...not positive on the 8289WS.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Hmm well that is not good then. I don't foresee us trailering with more than about 5 gallons in the water tank as we have no desire to dry camp. I hadn't thought about the batteries and propane tanks that are up front. Sheesh I was really looking forward to this model too! Has anyone here done some real weights of this trailer to find out what the actual pin weight is empty??
Keep in mind that the total wt of batteries and propane cannot all be added to the advertised pin weight as part of the weight is shared by the trailer because the weight is about 4-5 ft behind the pinbox. The last thing that is done at the factory is the weighting. So the dealer normally just adds the batteries and fills the propane tanks. The awnings/slide toppers, etc are in the dry wt posted on the sticker from what we saw in Goshen.

Evidently we are not average campers because we would be hard pressed to add a total of 600# of stuff including food to our camper and most of that is behind the axles.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #18
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Keep in mind that the total wt of batteries and propane cannot all be added to the advertised pin weight as part of the weight is shared by the trailer because the weight is about 4-5 ft behind the pinbox. The last thing that is done at the factory is the weighting. So the dealer normally just adds the batteries and fills the propane tanks. The awnings/slide toppers, etc are in the dry wt posted on the sticker from what we saw in Goshen.

Evidently we are not average campers because we would be hard pressed to add a total of 600# of stuff including food to our camper and most of that is behind the axles.
I agree about splitting the weight of propane + batteries.

You're right about awnings and slide toppers that are added on at the factory. When I ordered my Sabre the slide topper wasn't a factory option and I had to have the dealer add them on.

However, I'd love for you to weigh your rig to satisfy my curiosity. From stalking (err... reading your threads here), you have some awesome things that all add up - awning poles, extra scissor jacks, homemade wheel ramp, sewer tubes, ladder (I think) and a minimal amount of traveling water. I know that none of those individual things are heavy, but I'd guess that you're more than 600 pounds over your advertised dry weight. (Heck, my camper's yellow sticker is 400 pounds heavier than the advertised dry weight based on the options that we selected.) Heck, I'll send ya the $20 to go do it.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

See my wife and I would be the same...sure we would have some stuff that would stay in the trailer like cups plates and pans, but our stuff would be relatively light. I have a golden mix dog that weighs just over 55 pounds...I can also strap him to one of the chairs in the back of the trailer for more leverage.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I agree about splitting the weight of propane + batteries.

You're right about awnings and slide toppers that are added on at the factory. When I ordered my Sabre the slide topper wasn't a factory option and I had to have the dealer add them on.

However, I'd love for you to weigh your rig to satisfy my curiosity. From stalking (err... reading your threads here), you have some awesome things that all add up - awning poles, extra scissor jacks, homemade wheel ramp, sewer tubes, ladder (I think) and a minimal amount of traveling water. I know that none of those individual things are heavy, but I'd guess that you're more than 600 pounds over your advertised dry weight. (Heck, my camper's yellow sticker is 400 pounds heavier than the advertised dry weight based on the options that we selected.) Heck, I'll send ya the $20 to go do it.
Practically every thing added is behind the axles. Awning poles have a ship wt of 15# and one is behind the axle also. Also, don't have the extra stab jacks, traded them to Herk for his bent rear jacks which aren't installed. Bottom line, I have no problems towing the 5er and can see not a single benefit in going to a larger truck other than lightening my hip pocket by $30,000-$40,000 which I am not going to do regardless.

Tags
5th wheel, rockwood, wheel