Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Bottom line, I have no problems towing the 5er and can see not a single benefit in going to a larger truck other than lightening my hip pocket by $30,000-$40,000 which I am not going to do regardless.
I am not saying you need a bigger truck. I didn't say anything like that in my post.

I am just eternally curious about your actual weights. Doesn't change how your truck performs, your views on exceeding stickers or anything else. Just my curiosity. Heck, it might even give me better insight to your views.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #22

To get a proper answer you can call the truck factory and provide them your vin number and they will provide you with the tow rating for your truck.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Whitlow View Post
To get a proper answer you can call the truck factory and provide them your vin number and they will provide you with the tow rating for your truck.
I already know the tow rating is 11,200 lbs. I have the ecoboost 3.73 with max tow.
PrinceValium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Whitlow View Post
I disagree. If you're going to stay within all of your truck's ratings, the maximum tow capacity is one of the last ones that you'll exceed.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #25
Camper Less Camping

Prince...math don't lie, work up the numbers on your truck to find out your true available carrying capacity.

Then to be extremely safe, go by the GVWR of the camper you have in mind & do the math off that number to compare to the math you figured on your truck's final CCC.

That's a lot of math! But only then can you decide for yourself what your willing to do...Good Luck

Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #26

I have a 2013 8289 with the diamond package and a 2007 Dodge CTD club cab. I carry two small totes and a small tool box. With a full tank of fuel and myself setting in the seat the truck hits the scale at 7220#. I wieghed my fiver/truck last Friday as I was headed out for four days of dry camping. I had my trailer water tank full, food, chairs, and other camping supplies in the trailer. I had two Yamaha 2000 generators, 7 gallons of water, and two gallons of gas with about 30# of fire wood in the truck. On the scale my truck alone with the pin weight, full fuel and all weighed 9200# and the trailer alone weighed 7600# so I am going to put the pin wieght on this trailer loaded at about 1850#. Of course when the fresh water becomes waste water the pin wieght is going to go up because the waste tanks are forward of the axles and the fresh tank is behind the axles.

As far as the Reese pin box you should not need a slider if you use it.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #27

If you call the factory they can provide you with pin weight data and the max weigh ratio between the trailer weight and pin weight.
When I was looking to see if my old truck could take a 5er. I could not find the pin weight in the owners manual. When I called the factory they told me that my truck was not designed to pull a 5er even if the weight was below the tow rating. I chose to upgrade to a 2500 duramax.
I am glad I did, even with my weighs right if I go through a curve a little to fast I can feel the pin weight shift more to one side of the truck.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #28

Is there a reason you are not considering a travel trailer?

We have one with a rear entertainment layout and love it. Ours is the Rockwood 2703WS:

Rockwood Ultra Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River
IndyCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I am not saying you need a bigger truck. I didn't say anything like that in my post.

I am just eternally curious about your actual weights. Doesn't change how your truck performs, your views on exceeding stickers or anything else. Just my curiosity. Heck, it might even give me better insight to your views.
I can't vouch for OC but I can say not everyone packs 1,000 Lbs of stuff to go camp. I have seen several people scared away from a viable TV-TT combination on these boards with statements such as "You will need to add 1500 lbs for your stuff". If people want to get a TT that has a GWR over the GCWR + TV base then I think they need to weight thier stuff, not assume they will load thier TT up to its max weight. That having been said, we are talking about a 5vr hear and you guys do tend to load em up
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #30

I know that the 5er would tow better, turn better, and be more stable towing than a TT would be. The other thing is that it would be nice to be able to have the pets in the 5th wheel during the trip. (Especially my golden mix since just looking at him he sheds hair...lol) My wife also might want to be back there once in awhile to take a nap or whatever and you cannot do that in a TT.

I am not against a travel trailer...and some of the windjammers we looked at are nice. I have not ruled out the 8285WS...there are a few things I don't like about the floorplan of the 8285WS...one being that the entertainment center being placed where it is makes one of the people sitting in the lazy boy chairs have to look over a counter to watch tv (I can always add an articulating mount to solve that issue) another thing is my wife wants actual doors to close for the bedroom and the bathroom...which this model does not have.

The one good thing about this particular 5th wheel is the fresh water tank is behind the rear axle (according to jeepman71) and it being full during towing would relieve 358 lbs. off the pin weight of the trailer.

Right now I am trying to find out feasible ways to make this work...and am doing all my homework BEFORE getting a trailer or 5th wheel. (that's just the way I do things)

Since this would be my first trailer/5th wheel...I welcome all your opinions and suggestions since you guys are currently towing etc.

Are there any other aspects that I am overlooking in regards to pin weight etc?
PrinceValium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #31
Site Team

My wife also might want to be back there once in awhile...

Be aware, it is not legal in some states to ride in any towed trailer, including 5th wheels.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #32

Prince,

I'd suggest you do as suggested earlier and get some weights of the truck. I highly recommend loading up who would normally go and the fill the bed of the truck to a similar camping trip. Weigh the truck in that manner and subtract that value from the GVWR of the truck. The GVWR will be on the sticker on the edge of the drivers door. The remaining value will be what the pin weight and hitch can weigh.

Truthfully this needs to be done before you can make a decision wisely.

As the bickering has gone back and forth some can load lighter and some heavier, it will definitely be something you will ALWAYS have to watch. It can be done, and it can be done safely... but you will always have to be conscious of the pin weight and how you are loading and what you are loading...

I would highly recommend air bags, regardless of which style you go with, air bags are great for dang near any truck for whatever purpose when adding weight. Air bags will help greatly with the stability of the truck when any weight is added...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Prince,

I'd suggest you do as suggested earlier and get some weights of the truck. I highly recommend loading up who would normally go and the fill the bed of the truck to a similar camping trip. Weigh the truck in that manner and subtract that value from the GVWR of the truck. The GVWR will be on the sticker on the edge of the drivers door. The remaining value will be what the pin weight and hitch can weigh.

Truthfully this needs to be done before you can make a decision wisely.

As the bickering has gone back and forth some can load lighter and some heavier, it will definitely be something you will ALWAYS have to watch. It can be done, and it can be done safely... but you will always have to be conscious of the pin weight and how you are loading and what you are loading...

I would highly recommend air bags, regardless of which style you go with, air bags are great for dang near any truck for whatever purpose when adding weight. Air bags will help greatly with the stability of the truck when any weight is added...
Ok so I need to fill the gas thank and go to the scales and weigh myself in the vehicle. As I have said before Ido not plan on having anything in the truck or truck bed while towing and I can always just subtract what the wife weighs from the result. Can I go to any truck weigh station on the freeway to do this or are there special ones I need to go to?
Old 08-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #34

correct. Weighing the you and the truck full of fuel w/o passengers will be fine if you remember to factor them in to the equation.

DO NOT stop at the highway scales... they will rip you a new one for that.

If you are close to a farmers co-op they generally have a shack somewhere that they will weigh propane trucks and such. Generally you can go across that after hours and they will have a display you can read somewhere near by.

If you are not near a co-op find the closest truck stop/fuel station and they should have a CAT scale set up. Here you will generally have to pay for the visit but it is well worth the time! If you are at a CAT scale make sure you axles are on different plat forms to get the different weights. It would also be wise after you buy a trailer and hitch up appropriately to do this again and make sure your axles nor the entire truck is overloaded...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #35
Always Learning

I am close to highways and prefer CAT scales. As Alex said, make sure your truck is on separate platforms (one for the front wheels and a different one for the rear wheels). You almost have to.

Also, take a broom to make it easier to push the call button. It's a stretch standing for me (at 5' 11") and only was easy when I'd stand on my running boards. Just make sure you're on the platform when you call the weigh operator. They grab the weight almost immediately.

You'll have to tell them that it's you're first weighing (you get a discount for reweighs within a 24-hour period) and a private weighing. They'll tell you right quick that they got it and to come inside for your ticket. Costs $10 usually ($1 or $2 for reweighs).
Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #36

Pricevalium, I have weighed my truck and trailer twice in one week. Once last Monday when I was coming home with full waste tanks and near empty fresh and this last Friday when I was heading out with full Fresh and empty waste tanks. I don't think there was more than two hunred pounds difference on the truck, I would have to dig up the slips to give you absolute numbers. We travel light as far as added accessories in the trailer. Every year we empty the rv and decide whether we really need to carry what ever we are carrying. I think with this unit it is pretty safe to figure 1700 to 1900 pin weight unless you put absolutely nothing in the trailer. With the kitchen forward of the axles most of the items you stock are going to hit the pin side of the fulcrum. The only reverse of that is the fresh water tank and it did not seem to have that big of an impact in my weights.

I do like this floor plan but if you go with the Ecoboost plan on some air bags. As stated we use a 2500 CTD Dodge and it will put a dent in the stance on it. I won't debate it the Ecoboost is up to the task. I am a huge Ecoboost fan but the bags will make it a lot nicer to drive.

On a side note the trailer tows very nice and when I have gotten more response with thumbs up and nods of approval with this setup than I ever expected. When the slides are open it is very roomy for a smaller light weight unit. And the biggest plus of all is my wife loves it .
Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
Pricevalium, I have weighed my truck and trailer twice in one week. Once last Monday when I was coming home with full waste tanks and near empty fresh and this last Friday when I was heading out with full Fresh and empty waste tanks. I don't think there was more than two hunred pounds difference on the truck, I would have to dig up the slips to give you absolute numbers. We travel light as far as added accessories in the trailer. Every year we empty the rv and decide whether we really need to carry what ever we are carrying. I think with this unit it is pretty safe to figure 1700 to 1900 pin weight unless you put absolutely nothing in the trailer. With the kitchen forward of the axles most of the items you stock are going to hit the pin side of the fulcrum. The only reverse of that is the fresh water tank and it did not seem to have that big of an impact in my weights.

I do like this floor plan but if you go with the Ecoboost plan on some air bags. As stated we use a 2500 CTD Dodge and it will put a dent in the stance on it. I won't debate it the Ecoboost is up to the task. I am a huge Ecoboost fan but the bags will make it a lot nicer to drive.

On a side note the trailer tows very nice and when I have gotten more response with thumbs up and nods of approval with this setup than I ever expected. When the slides are open it is very roomy for a smaller light weight unit. And the biggest plus of all is my wife loves it .
Tha is for that info and yes the Ecoboost I am certain will have no problem towing that trailer. I want to make sure I do the right thing, be safe, and also not damage my truck.

Tha is everyone for your replies I really appreciate it. I will search for a scale tonight. I will see if I can find a farmers co-op first.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
My wife also might want to be back there once in awhile...

Be aware, it is not legal in some states to ride in any towed trailer, including 5th wheels.
And the person travelling in a towed trailer better does not get seasick.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #39

I tow the 8289 with the diamond package with my 2013 150 EcoBoost. It has no issues on the mountains, brakes fine, and handles well on side winds. I do have the heavy half with the max tow package. I paid $37,000 for mine here in Alberta.
We are quite happy so far with the unit. Best of luck!
Bgreening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgreening View Post
I tow the 8289 with the diamond package with my 2013 150 EcoBoost. It has no issues on the mountains, brakes fine, and handles well on side winds. I do have the heavy half with the max tow package. I paid $37,000 for mine here in Alberta.
We are quite happy so far with the unit. Best of luck!
Just for clarification do you have the F150 max tow package (GVWR 7650/7700) or are you referring to the max payload option (GVWR 8200)?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, rockwood, wheel