Old 08-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #21
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Bottom line, I have no problems towing the 5er and can see not a single benefit in going to a larger truck other than lightening my hip pocket by $30,000-$40,000 which I am not going to do regardless.
I am not saying you need a bigger truck. I didn't say anything like that in my post.

I am just eternally curious about your actual weights. Doesn't change how your truck performs, your views on exceeding stickers or anything else. Just my curiosity. Heck, it might even give me better insight to your views.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #22

To get a proper answer you can call the truck factory and provide them your vin number and they will provide you with the tow rating for your truck.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Whitlow View Post
To get a proper answer you can call the truck factory and provide them your vin number and they will provide you with the tow rating for your truck.
I already know the tow rating is 11,200 lbs. I have the ecoboost 3.73 with max tow.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #24
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Whitlow View Post
I disagree. If you're going to stay within all of your truck's ratings, the maximum tow capacity is one of the last ones that you'll exceed.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #25
Camper Less Camping

Prince...math don't lie, work up the numbers on your truck to find out your true available carrying capacity.

Then to be extremely safe, go by the GVWR of the camper you have in mind & do the math off that number to compare to the math you figured on your truck's final CCC.

That's a lot of math! But only then can you decide for yourself what your willing to do...Good Luck
Old 08-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #26

I have a 2013 8289 with the diamond package and a 2007 Dodge CTD club cab. I carry two small totes and a small tool box. With a full tank of fuel and myself setting in the seat the truck hits the scale at 7220#. I wieghed my fiver/truck last Friday as I was headed out for four days of dry camping. I had my trailer water tank full, food, chairs, and other camping supplies in the trailer. I had two Yamaha 2000 generators, 7 gallons of water, and two gallons of gas with about 30# of fire wood in the truck. On the scale my truck alone with the pin weight, full fuel and all weighed 9200# and the trailer alone weighed 7600# so I am going to put the pin wieght on this trailer loaded at about 1850#. Of course when the fresh water becomes waste water the pin wieght is going to go up because the waste tanks are forward of the axles and the fresh tank is behind the axles.

As far as the Reese pin box you should not need a slider if you use it.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #27

If you call the factory they can provide you with pin weight data and the max weigh ratio between the trailer weight and pin weight.
When I was looking to see if my old truck could take a 5er. I could not find the pin weight in the owners manual. When I called the factory they told me that my truck was not designed to pull a 5er even if the weight was below the tow rating. I chose to upgrade to a 2500 duramax.
I am glad I did, even with my weighs right if I go through a curve a little to fast I can feel the pin weight shift more to one side of the truck.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #28

Is there a reason you are not considering a travel trailer?

We have one with a rear entertainment layout and love it. Ours is the Rockwood 2703WS:

Rockwood Ultra Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River
Old 08-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I am not saying you need a bigger truck. I didn't say anything like that in my post.

I am just eternally curious about your actual weights. Doesn't change how your truck performs, your views on exceeding stickers or anything else. Just my curiosity. Heck, it might even give me better insight to your views.
I can't vouch for OC but I can say not everyone packs 1,000 Lbs of stuff to go camp. I have seen several people scared away from a viable TV-TT combination on these boards with statements such as "You will need to add 1500 lbs for your stuff". If people want to get a TT that has a GWR over the GCWR + TV base then I think they need to weight thier stuff, not assume they will load thier TT up to its max weight. That having been said, we are talking about a 5vr hear and you guys do tend to load em up
Old 08-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #30

I know that the 5er would tow better, turn better, and be more stable towing than a TT would be. The other thing is that it would be nice to be able to have the pets in the 5th wheel during the trip. (Especially my golden mix since just looking at him he sheds hair...lol) My wife also might want to be back there once in awhile to take a nap or whatever and you cannot do that in a TT.

I am not against a travel trailer...and some of the windjammers we looked at are nice. I have not ruled out the 8285WS...there are a few things I don't like about the floorplan of the 8285WS...one being that the entertainment center being placed where it is makes one of the people sitting in the lazy boy chairs have to look over a counter to watch tv (I can always add an articulating mount to solve that issue) another thing is my wife wants actual doors to close for the bedroom and the bathroom...which this model does not have.

The one good thing about this particular 5th wheel is the fresh water tank is behind the rear axle (according to jeepman71) and it being full during towing would relieve 358 lbs. off the pin weight of the trailer.

Right now I am trying to find out feasible ways to make this work...and am doing all my homework BEFORE getting a trailer or 5th wheel. (that's just the way I do things)

Since this would be my first trailer/5th wheel...I welcome all your opinions and suggestions since you guys are currently towing etc.

Are there any other aspects that I am overlooking in regards to pin weight etc?

Tags
5th wheel, rockwood, wheel