Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeo1 View Post
Hello presley01,
Please check with the Hensley folks and verify that your new 8289WS in the "Sidewinder Mode" (wedge used) is compatible with the BT3 coupler. Just a heads up on a possible problem.
I fired them off an e-mail, I'll post the answer when I get it. If the BD3 works in wedge mode or not I will keep the BD3, i like it that much. Wouldn't take my money back on it even if I could.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeo1 View Post
Hello presley01,
Please check with the Hensley folks and verify that your new 8289WS in the "Sidewinder Mode" (wedge used) is compatible with the BT3 coupler. Just a heads up on a possible problem.
I fired them off an e-mail, I'll post the answer when I get it. If the BD3 works in wedge mode or not I will keep the BD3, i like it that much. Wouldn't take my money back on it even if I could.
Just got my answer back, the BD3 does not work in wedge mode, I will use the revolution hitch in straight mode. A little disappointed but that is what I am use to anyway. Thanks for the tip

Old 09-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #73

BD3 should be made "compatible"......

[QUOTE=presley01;471451]I fired them off an e-mail, I'll post the answer when I get it. If the BD3 works in wedge mode or not I will keep the BD3, i like it that much. Wouldn't take my money back on it even if I could.
Just got my answer back, the BD3 does not work in wedge mode, I will use the revolution hitch in straight mode. A little disappointed but that is what I am use to anyway. Thanks for the tip[/QUOTE

Sorry to hear the BD3 is still not working with the Sidewinder. I agree. The BD3 is a terrific hitch as per all the reviews. Maybe when we get ready to buy our 8289WS the changes will be made. I wonder where the issue is: the pin latching or is it the way the BD3 absorbs shock and the pivot point being at the trailer end? Best of luck and enjoy your new Rockwood👍
Old 10-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #74
Hawksclaw553

Towing with 1/2

Just picked up my 2014 Rockwood 8289ws with Diamond Package, Dual Air, 50 amp service from Primeaux RV in Carencro, Louisiana yesterday. I towed it with my 2008 Toyota Tundra Double cab with the 5.7 engine, factory trailer towing package etc. I added Firestone Airbags I purchased on line and installed them myself last week. With 20 lbs of air in them truck was level and pulled it home with no problem Saturday. Set the brake controller and pushed the tow/haul button and made the 70 mile trip home with average of 9.8 miles per gal at 60 mph. I know the pin weigh is over but until I can get another TV it will have to do. I weighed my truck Friday at the Love Truck Stop in Port Allen, Lousiana on the CAT scale and with full fuel and me with new 5th wheel hitch in bed it weighed in at 5780. As far as price goes, I thought Primeaux gave me a great deal at around 40K with New 16K hitch, wiring and brake controller, sales tax (9.5%) title and permanent license. I priced this same unit through two of the big discounters, one in Ohio and one in Orlando and I paid about $110-120 more buying it local plus did not have to wait until Jan to pick up. Brandon Garrison was my salesman and worked hard on this deal as we started in July working with him. So the bottom line is try working with a local dealer after getting a price from some of the big volume dealers online. If you are interested in Forest River products I was very pleased with Primeaux and Brandon so far.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #75

Congratulations, that's an awesome rig you got there sir. Post some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksclaw View Post
Just picked up my 2014 Rockwood 8289ws with Diamond Package, Dual Air, 50 amp service from Primeaux RV in Carencro, Louisiana yesterday. I towed it with my 2008 Toyota Tundra Double cab with the 5.7 engine, factory trailer towing package etc. I added Firestone Airbags I purchased on line and installed them myself last week. With 20 lbs of air in them truck was level and pulled it home with no problem Saturday. Set the brake controller and pushed the tow/haul button and made the 70 mile trip home with average of 9.8 miles per gal at 60 mph. I know the pin weigh is over but until I can get another TV it will have to do. I weighed my truck Friday at the Love Truck Stop in Port Allen, Lousiana on the CAT scale and with full fuel and me with new 5th wheel hitch in bed it weighed in at 5780. As far as price goes, I thought Primeaux gave me a great deal at around 40K with New 16K hitch, wiring and brake controller, sales tax (9.5%) title and permanent license. I priced this same unit through two of the big discounters, one in Ohio and one in Orlando and I paid about $110-120 more buying it local plus did not have to wait until Jan to pick up. Brandon Garrison was my salesman and worked hard on this deal as we started in July working with him. So the bottom line is try working with a local dealer after getting a price from some of the big volume dealers online. If you are interested in Forest River products I was very pleased with Primeaux and Brandon so far.

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #76
Hawksclaw553

First trip home with 2014 Rockwood 8289ws Diamond Package towing with 2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab with 5.7 and factory trailer tow. 9.8 mpg at 60mph. Installed Firestone Airbags and ran them at 20psi trailer was level with hitched. I read a lot of people seem to be having trouble with the sidewinder hitches. Once the dealers mechanic figured how to installed the wedge and hooked up we were fine. Once home the pin swivels easy so I can back in at any angle.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #77

Quote:
Congratualations on the new Rockwood!!! Wish you the best of luck.
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #78

Quote:
First trip home with 2014 Rockwood 8289ws Diamond Package towing with 2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab with 5.7 and factory trailer tow. 9.8 mpg at 60mph. Installed Firestone Airbags and ran them at 20psi trailer was level with hitched. I read a lot of people seem to be having trouble with the sidewinder hitches. Once the dealers mechanic figured how to installed the wedge and hooked up we were fine. Once home the pin swivels easy so I can back in at any angle.
Congrats on the new unit, You picked a good one, I will let you know that when new you can move that pin by hand. After 500 miles or so it will tighten up on you, that is normal. The manual say's after 500 miles it get's looser, that is a false statement and they keep saying they are going to change that. I still do not have a problem with hooking up or dropping the trailer and I have over 15,000 miles on mine. If it tightens do not worry that is right. You might want to spay some white lithium grease on the pad first, that's all you have to do for the maintenance. It's a great pin box you can spin on a dime with it...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #79

This is all good to hear everyone...I am REALLY looking forward to getting the 5th wheel. I have to sell the boat first.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #80

I curious; who was the big discounter in Orlando you were dealing with?

Quote:

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, rockwood, wheel