Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

Rockwood 8289WS .....requesting comments :)

Hello FR Forum...We're new to the forum. We're on the sidelines still making decisions on exactly what 5th wheel model we want to buy. We were really interested in the CC Silverback 29RE, but have decided to drop down in size. We are attracted to the Rockwood 8289WS floorplan at this point. We'd sure appreciate hearing from owners of this new floorplan. We have some questions about certain features and options and we'd appreciate any overall impressions / comments forum members may have, pro & con.

We are going with the "Diamond Pkg." for sure. One of the options in question are the thermal windows...are they actually gas filled double pane glass or a storm window design? Can you still get the bonded frameless windows with this option? Do the windows still open the same as standard glass? The dealer didn't know for sure.

Is the RVQue gas grill option worth considering? Is there a work table paired up with the grill to mount on the rail? Can a stove be substituted in place of the grill?

I do realize these are questions for a dealer, but we'd also love to hear from owners of this new floorplan. Your current experiences with this new model would be very much appreciated. Thank you

George & Judy Johnston
Michigan
jaygeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #2

I have just picked up my 8289, I like the unit, but the hvac system takes the return aire from the cargo area, FR say's this is livable space. They installed 2" duct in that area to say it's livable. I now have Suburban looking into that claim. Remember there is no RETURN AIRE IN THE CABIN only the cargo space. If you are not going to go in the trailer for lunch or anything while traveling it's fine, other wise when you pull the slides in forget it. They should have put the bedroom slide on the other side, then you would beable to acsess that area when closed up front, other then that it blocks the door. ( maybe for even wait and balance) other then that I really like the unit very nice when all opened up, and it come with a Reese sidewinder, great option.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #3

Check the floor construction. If they are still using 1/4 inch plywood, watch out. While we haven't had any problems, because we are careful, some owners are reporting 'soft spots' and sagging of the floor. That is probably due to the thin plywood givving way and crushing the styrofoam underneath.
I think these "lightweights" are the only ones using this garbage floor construction. if I would have known about it, I wouldn't have bought ours. I never imagined the factory would do something so utterly stupid.

Check out the Sabres and Crusaders. A bit heavier, and their basements are very small, but I think their floors are solid. The Sabres also have a full-cage aluminum frame. Not sure about the Crusaders.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sabre definitely has full aluminium cage and floors are solid!
As previous poster stated there are heavier and for a reason
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #5

I looked at the Flagstaff's equivalent at a recent RV show and I liked the floorplan. I also questioned the placement of the bedroom slide, but I assumed it was to balance weight. Not sure if there are many flooplans with slides that will give much usuable access if not extended. If I'm on teh road and pull over for lunch or a nap, I just extend the slides. Back to the floorplan it was very nice. My only negative comment was the placement of the drawers in the island. The design of the island makes it very difficult to access the drawers. I have a 2011 Flagstaff 8528ckws and I have not experienced any issues with the floor. In fact, I have had no issues that comes to mind. Good value for the money spent.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeo1 View Post
Is the RVQue gas grill option worth considering? Is there a work table paired up with the grill to mount on the rail? Can a stove be substituted in place of the grill?

George & Judy Johnston
Michigan
only a low-pressure stove will work on same pigtail that the grill works on and these are hard to find. Camp Chef stoves are the only readily-able ones that i've found that are low-pressure. none will fit on the rail.
some have found stoves from popups, that are low-pressure but again, they are difficult to find.

i thought FR supplied the Sidekick Grill, not the RVQ grill.
we like our Sidekick grill and use it quite often. the little side table comes with the grill option.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #7

Return air fix.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have just picked up my 8289, I like the unit, but the hvac system takes the return aire from the cargo area, FR say's this is livable space. They installed 2" duct in that area to say it's livable. I now have Suburban looking into that claim. Remember there is no RETURN AIRE IN THE CABIN only the cargo space. If you are not going to go in the trailer for lunch or anything while traveling it's fine, other wise when you pull the slides in forget it. They should have put the bedroom slide on the other side, then you would beable to acsess that area when closed up front, other then that it blocks the door. ( maybe for even wait and balance) other then that I really like the unit very nice when all opened up, and it come with a Reese sidewinder, great option.
Well, gljurczyk, viewed a picture of a newly built Flagstaff version and the second step up has a vent grill installed allowing return air to the "basement". Thanks for bringing the problem to the light

jaygeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote