Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #1

Rockwood 8310ss black tank rinser

The last 2 times I tried to use my black tank rinser, I flooded the floor in the bathroom and didn't get any water into the black waste tank. Today, I decided to troubleshoot the system.

First, I removed the outside water inlet and carefully pulled the unit away from the wall. I found, nothing connected to the pipe nipple on the back of the fitting.

Next, I went inside and opened the dinning slide so I could get to the entertainment system (it is behind the shower stall unit). I found a plastic cover in the one cabinet on the left side of the unit and removed it. I could see a hose inside, just hanging in the air, not connected to anything.

Next, I opened the sub-woofer speaker cabinet on the bottom of the entertainment center, removed some mounting screws and a partition so I could move the speaker to the right to get at the disconnected hose for the rinser.

After reinstalling the outside water fitting, I screwed the water line fitting onto the pipe nipple on the inside of the camper's wall, then made sure all three pipe fittings were tight (the water inlet, the vacuum breaker inlet, and the vacuum breaker outlet). After checking for leaks, I reinstalled all the stuff I had moved and buttoned up the entertainment center.

So, if your black tank rinser leaks into the bathroom, do some troubleshooting and find the loose fittings and tighten them. The other possible source of trouble is the vacuum breaker, they often fail. Mine was OK, but now I know where to look the next time my system leaks.
EdBigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Cadiz Couple

Looking for other 8310 owners to exchange info

Ed, first off, I clicked on my tab key to indent, which deleted all that I had written....don't know if you received my incomplete msg or not.
I, too, am a rather newby 8310 owner. We camped in it for three weeks and then took a 4000 mile trip thru the Wyoming high country. Going to camp at Ft Pickins State Park next month. Each and every time we use it, we learn something new....often from our previous mistakes. The only outstanding question I have at the moment is whether or not I should remove the water filter prior to winterizing...(I did).
Here are some issues that we have encountered....would be interested in hearing of your own experiences:
Busted off cabinet doors while both opening and closing the slides before we finally always use bungees.
One tire wore away....they were supposed to have been "D" tires but found out when being replaced that they were actually lightweight "C" tires. Others with more experience have recommended automatic replacement with "E" tires, which I did. BUT, while being replaced, the tire shop found that my axle was coming loose from the trailer, which had caused the tire to wear away. Need to periodically check the axle attachment as well as lug nuts, tire pressure and wear.
I have not found a good solution to the stupid two-separate waste tanks configuration that must dump into a single sewer pipe. Nor an easy way to access the galley tank drain, far beneath the slide. Any ideas?
Twice, my propane has shut off when the tank still had ten or so pounds in it. Don't know why. Now I use one tank at a time rather than open them both, so that I will know when I am half-empty. It is easy to simply switch tanks rather than to suddenly be totally empty. I also cut a hole in my plastic tank cover so as to readily see the green/red gages.
Some RV park sewers will only fit my flex pipe while others require a doughnut on it to make a firm seal. I carry a doughnut separately. Also, the plastic ends of the rear bumper that contains a flex pipe tend to come loose...I drilled small matching holes, top and bottom in which to insert long nails thru both the bumper and plastic ends to always keep them in place.
I have installed quick disconnects on both my city water and black flush tank fittings and on the ends of my hoses....this is SO MUCH easier than screwing the threads. I don't use a pressure reducer on the black tank flush. I'm converting from a pre-set 40psi reducer to one with a guage so as to have better pressure at 50psi which is supposed to be safe.
I thought that I was keeping enough water and frequent flushes into the black tank and flushing it well, but one time the toilet backed up because there was a pile in the tank directly beneath the vertical toilet pipe. I solved this by moving around a long sturdy stick down through the toilet, to break up the pile and then pointing an unregulated water hose stream directly down into the toilet to blast away the remnants.
Enough for now....hope to hear of your own experiences. If easier, you may contact me directly at budsbuddy450@gmail.com
Cadiz Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #3

I also have a 8310...currently in hibernation.
We have 3 summers under our belt with it...and unlike you both, mine was trouble free.
I guess I'm the lucky one !
We just love the floor plan ... the only thing missing is an electric fireplace.
I had the dealer installed a 3rd set of scissor jack in front of the axle at purchase...it's doing it's job....hardly any movement when parked.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
Cadiz Couple

Black.....thanks for your reply. We don't see much problem with floor movement but I am going to have to do something different when parking because the trailer always leans a bit on the slide side when they are extended. I have some blocks but have been too lazy to put them into place when parking for only one or two nights when on the road. I also have a jack that goes beneath the far end of a slide. Be wary of driving on those "C" grade tires that come on the trailer....I blew one and so did Ed Bigley, who just responded to my input....it would be prudent to replace them with "E" grade tires and to check the axle attachment to the trailer. If you would like to stay in touch with a fellow 8310 owner, to share issues and experiences, you can reach me on e-mail at budsbuddy450@gmail.com Gordy Roberts
Cadiz Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #5

To solve the levelling problem...when I park and level off before putting slides out...I make sure the slide side is about 1" higher than level, take the slides out, perfect bubble everytime.
I carry 1 5' lenght 2x6 and 1 5' lenght 1x6 (decking) for this purpose.

I don't quite understand the big thing with tires on this site... I keep mine inflate at it's maximum...50psi, check pressure and wheel torque every 2-3 weeks, and never had trouble on the 3 trailers I had.
And we travel to different places every weekend !
Mine have no cracks or whatever on them....I usually replace at the 5 years mark.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadiz Couple View Post
I have not found a good solution to the stupid two-separate waste tanks configuration that must dump into a single sewer pipe. Nor an easy way to access the galley tank drain, far beneath the slide. Any ideas?
Cadiz:

You need one of these to deal with your 2nd gray tank:

This one's made by Valtera. There are pics online of it attached to a 90 deg elbow and then into the sewer. You still need two hoses, though - sorry.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, rockwood, tank