Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #1

Unhappy rockwood 8312ss

looking into buying a 8312ss rockwood. It seems I am hearing of alot of problems form people on here about there Forest River TT. Am I making a mistake on getting one. Anyone bought one an not regretted it?
learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #2

Not a Rockwood, but no regrets. You will almost always have issues, while I don't think that's acceptable, it really comes to Forest River standing behind their product. MOST of the members here seem to be completely happy.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #3

Does not matter what makes you will buy. All brands have problems. We had our share of troubles on our Rockwood minilite and FR took care of them and we are happy now. It does not mean that you will have problems automatically if others end up with problems.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I doubt there are problems inherent to the 8312S that can't be found in any other trailer from any other brand.

You need to be realistic (and this is a hot topic for some). Every trailer will have problems and you need to expect that minor problems will occur with your trailer.

If buying new, a good dealer will catch these issues and correct them when they accept delivery from the factory but before they deliver to you.

You can mitigate problems with a trailer by working with a dealer that has a good reputation for service in your area and by completing a lengthy and thorough review (PDI) BEFORE you take possession.

If buying used, it is incumbent on you to do all of this. You really need to be somewhat mechanically inclined and informed in order to spot issues and, later, to be able to work on your own trailer. This is also important as I am convinced that some problems (not all) are due to neglect or not knowing what needs to be done (e.g., regular and proper roof maintenance).

Sometimes, you WILL find a lemon of a trailer. Unfortunately, there is no coverage under state lemon laws for most RVs. Trailer forums will be chock full of these stories because they, like FRF, tend to be focused on problem solving. This can make it seem that ALL trailers will have major problems, but that is just not true. I believe most campers do not have major issues, but we just don't hear about it.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #5

I've got a 08 Rockwood. Couldn't be happier. Only my 2nd unit and the first worked well also. As others have mentioned there will probably be some minor issues which will need to be worked out. Both my units had 1 or 2 trips back to dealer for repairs under warranty. 2 different mfg's. The biggest factor to not having to return to dealership is a thorough PDI. Take your time and test everything at the dealership before you sign and drive away. Do not allow dealership to rush thru this process. Make sure you understand how things operate. You'll be glad you did.

Good luck.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #6

The 8312ss is one of the campers we're looking at. (The other is a 32BUDS from North Trail). I've spent a lot of time on this site and it sure seems that despite any issues, most are happy with the service and fixes and their next camper will be a Rockwood. We've looked at lots of different manufacturers and haven't found any that seem to be as well built as Rockwood . IMO the NT is the only one that comes close to Rockwood. (Flagstaff is Rockwood twin sister.)
What else have you looked at? Did you find anything else that was close? What options are you considering? A jacknife sofa in the bunk house and U shaped dinette are the only must have options for us. Everything else is bells and whistles, but we like bells and whistles.
CliffP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #7

We have looked at the Sunset Crossroads and liked that also. I think my husband loves the color more that anything. It also has the jacknife sofa (with a trundle bed under it) in the bunkhouse that i want too. but no u dinnette. Very flashy, with a fireplace. But has no outside scare lights, or outside microwave in the kitchen area. Those are things we like. Also no ladder. Why a lot of new campers aren't having this I don't understand. They want you to take care of the roof, but make access to it very hard.
We have looked at quite a few campers and thay are all starting to look alike and run together once we get home. I have a hole folder of campers and there pro's and con's. Rockwood seems to have the most an so far be the most reasonable for all there features. Having a hard time finding the sofa in the bunkhouse, might have to have it ordered. That seems to get expensive.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Playtime III

The only reason I have not traded up from our 2902 is the heavy hitch weight (928#)! I do not understand as compared to others in the same UVW range (6-7000#). Tracer 3150BHD HW is only 595# and Bullet 31BHPR HW is 780#.
800 wd/dual cam sc
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #9

Trade up ? your TT only looks a couple years old..... Not happy with it? Anyway, yes they seem a little heavy on tongue. Nothing we have been concerned with as we tow with an '07 Ram 2500.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #10

I stole the avatar from facebook. Its from a local band called the trailer kings. Ours isn't quite that beat and our TV's tow capacity is a little higher. Speaking of, when I was a kid our family pulled a twenty eight foot stick and tin tank with a 1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme station wagon ordered with a 455 big block Olds. (used a wd hitch, no sways) We pulled it from Wisconsin to Oregon. and back. Now we need big trucks to pull lighter trailers. I better stop before I start telling you how much snow I had to walk through on the way to school.
CliffP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
Playtime III

Love our 2011 2902SS. However, I do most of the cooking so we are looking for a similar style unit with an outside kitchen and within my F150's capacity.
800 wd/dual cam sc
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8312ss