Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #1

Rockwood 8312SS electronics problems

We just recently purchased a new Rockwood 8312, it came with the genesis 3.0 stereo system. And i'm having a hard time getting anything to work. I can't get a movie to play in the master bedroom, it'll play in the living room, but no where else. I've hooked an ipad up and tried to play movies through that using the component plug ins that are mounted. Nothing works. I've tried to play an ipod music and can't get it to work. i've called rockwood and talked to some useless service tech, and still nothing.

If anyone has any thoughts, or has run accross this as well, any pointers would be appeciated.

Neil
nelly101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
If the TVs were installed at the factory, I gaurantee yo they worked when they left there. Sometimes the dealers install their own TVs or remove and reinstall the factory provided TVs (to prevent theft) and during this process they may not have been reconnected properly. Your dealer should be able to show you how these work.

When you say you hooked up an ipad and you triedt o paly a movie through that, what does that really mean? Did you hook it up to the TV or did you hook it up to the GT3? When you say component plug ins that are mounted, do you mean wall plates? Pictures of what you did would be REALLY helpful here!

When you say you can't play ipod music and can't get it to work, again you need to tell or show us HOW you are trying to hook it up. You can NOT plug in an ipod or any other device into the front panel USB port on the GT3 to play anything. That port if for a USB drive and plays mps files directly and displays picture files on the TV. You can use it to charge your ipod, but that is it. You would play your ipod through the front panel mini stereo plug.

Again, your selling dealer is responsible for warranty, service and running you through your systems operations and the best part is they can do that in person.

Please provide more information for additional guidance...
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
Boondocker

I believe that the DVD will only play movies on the main TV and not on the TV in the bedroom. That is the way it is on my 8317SS which has a Concertone ZX690

correct me if I am wrong.....

BC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Camper View Post
I believe that the DVD will only play movies on the main TV and not on the TV in the bedroom. That is the way it is on my 8317SS which has a Concertone ZX690

correct me if I am wrong.....
Ditto.

The only thing ported to the bedroom is cable if memory serves me correctly. We have a seperate $30 or 40 buck DVD player with HDMI in the bedroom.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
Owner - RVtronics

Cool, thanks for the update.

My main point is the dealer is really the resource to be used in this case since there is so much "unknow" as to how the system works.

If the dealer is not an option, then as we have said MANY times before the ONLY way to be sure of what is connected how is to review ALL THE WIRING from the unit to the devices. Anything sort of that would be a guess.
(781) 281-9440
Old 08-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #6

Bob, sounds like your feelings are hurt by my post. Your answers are just like a car dealership, not accepting any fault for things not working.

" I gaurantee they worked whent they left the factory " Well for the record we picked the trailer up ourselves in Elkhart. So there wasn't any dealer involved other the the mfg.

BC camper, you are correct about the dvd not playing in the bedroom. So that question was answered. Not a very good set up in my mind, should be able to send a movie to any tv via the entertainment center. One would think. Bad design. And yes the aux plug works the ipod for music. And the usb charges. So that's all good as well.

As for the serice center, i talked to someone in new jersey regarding the issues I had. And one was the factory installed sat radio. Well it says to check the antenna connection. So of course this being a " factory installed " radio. How or where would i check the antenna connection? On the roof? The person i talked to that was supposed to be a service wiz, couldn't grasp the fact that it's installed already, as in hard wired to the trailer, mounted on the wall. He kept telling me to run the antenna cable like you see in cars, when people stick the sat radio to their dashes, and there's a little round antenna that goes out the window, and sticks to the top of the roof..... I asked him why would i need to do that , when this is hard wired to my trailer, and there is no place to plug the antenna in? Oh just attatch it to the back of the unit he tells me. Again I tell him, it's mounted to the wall, what part of I can't get to the back of the unit don't you get?? He was absolutely useless, waste of a long distance call. And i can't get it to play even on the demo mode. Which setting on the entertainment unit do i choose if i want to hear the sat radio?

Bob, when i say I hooked the Ipad to the little wall plates under my main tv, it's the little white plate, with ipod/mp3, cable/sat, game, plug in for component cable plug ins. It Should work there, but I can't get it to play with trying all the plug ins, and all the input settings on the tv. So next I'll buy a right angle hdmi plug ( cause there is no room for std plugs ), and try that.

So other then the couple little electonic issues, it's been a pretty good trailer. The only real issue, is in the rear room. The heat barely comes out of the vent in the floor. In the main room, and main bedroom it pumps out like crazy when the heat is on, but you'd freeze in the rear room. We had to buy an electric heater it's so bad. Even the air barely comes out of the roof vents. Any thoughts on that? any one else experience this problem?

Thanks for the replies and help.

Neil
Old 08-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #7

DVD to Bedroom

We just bought the 8312SS and love it. We had the same issue with the DVD player not working on the bedroom tv. I contacted my dealer who wasn't very helpful so I decided to take it upon myself and take the Genesis panel off to see what kind of out-puts it has and if it was connected. Not surprisingly the Genesis unit has multiple video outputs (I can't remember exactly but I think it was 1 HDMI and 3 RCA). 1 output was being used for the main TV, but nothing was going to the bedroom tv. I made a quick stop at an electronics store picked up 1 RCA extension (one end male the other female), fished it through the wall and plugged it in. It maybe cost $10 and took 30 min to do the job. Now it works great.

If any of you decide to do this make sure you take care in taking the front panel off the Genesis unit as the clips that hold it back are pretty weak and could break. There are at least 6 clips so if you break one its not a big deal.

I'm just a little disappointed that Forestriver wouldn't do this in the factory.

Other then that we love the trailer and have had a very good experience with Forestriver.
mill2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #8

Mill2b,

Hey thanks for the reply. I'll try and do the same thing when i get a minute. So the RCA extention, once you have that installed, it will play in bedroom and living room at the same time? I finally got the ipad to stream movies on the tv in the living room. It was just us missing the av1 function. So that's all good. I'd sure like to take advantage of the hdmi plug in. Can't imagaine why they wouldn't make that available to the end users. With technology the way it is, everything we buy has hdmi now.

We love our trailer as well. We're very happy with it. No major complaints at all.

Neil
Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #9

Neil,
Yes, the bedroom and living room tv's can both be showing the same show at the same time. The only issue we have now is that the DVD player can't be controlled from the bedroom with the remote. The back of the Genesis had a IR (inferred) out-put, but I haven't tried to hunt down that type of extension for the bedroom yet. I think it was just a standard stereo jack plug.

I agree with you, it would have been nice to make the wall plate have the HDMI option to go along with the composite.

Sean
mill2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly101
Mill2b,

Hey thanks for the reply. I'll try and do the same thing when i get a minute. So the RCA extention, once you have that installed, it will play in bedroom and living room at the same time? I finally got the ipad to stream movies on the tv in the living room. It was just us missing the av1 function. So that's all good. I'd sure like to take advantage of the hdmi plug in. Can't imagaine why they wouldn't make that available to the end users. With technology the way it is, everything we buy has hdmi now.

We love our trailer as well. We're very happy with it. No major complaints at all.

Neil
Can I ask how you got the iPad to work? Camping with grand kids and would like to watch Netflix from iPad if possible. Thanks
Ross - Letter Carrier (retired 2011), Jan - YNC(retired 1996)
Nights Camped 2011 (8)
rossandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #11

rossandjan,

I just went to the Apple store and picked up the component adapter for the ipad. On our trailer we have the little plate with 3 or 4 component plug ins, and just plugged it in. ( can't remember which one we plugged into though ) and then push AV1 on the Genisis control panel, and then you get surround sound with it.

Neil
Old 01-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #12

Thanks so much, went to Walmart and got the adapter and works great. Thanks
Ross - Letter Carrier (retired 2011), Jan - YNC(retired 1996)
Nights Camped 2011 (8)
rossandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #13

I don't think Bob was defensive at all. Sounds like there was a bit 'human error' involved in why 'it does not work'.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
Owner - RVtronics

I was not.

One thing I have found over many years is that you often cannot read emotion into a type written response. I believe email/text messaging/these forums are means for exchanging information. Often this is NOT communicating. That requires the phone or more importantly face to face.

I also learn new things every day and value that...
(781) 281-9440
Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly101 View Post
Which setting on the entertainment unit do i choose if i want to hear the sat radio?

Neil

Just go through the different modes. I think it is either AV1 or 2 or AUX 1 or 2. Can't remember which one it is, since I haven't camped since October.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8312ss