Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #1

Rockwood 8313

I have a 8313. The appears to be a leak near the dining slid out. It is causing dimples on the inside and bubbles in the fiberglass exterior. Its out of warranty but the dealer spoke with the manufacturer and it is going to be repaired at the factory. Anyone else have such a problem.
disneybound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #2

It seems like here lately there are more threads about all kinds of bubbles poping up......What's going on?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
It seems like here lately there are more threads about all kinds of bubbles poping up......What's going on?
Someone had mentioned a problem with a batch of bad glue or something. Fleetwood went through this in the early 90's where their lamination process got fouled up and they sent a lot of RVs out the door that came apart later on. Glad to hear that FR is taking care of this one.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybound View Post
I have a 8313. The appears to be a leak near the dining slid out. It is causing dimples on the inside and bubbles in the fiberglass exterior. Its out of warranty but the dealer spoke with the manufacturer and it is going to be repaired at the factory. Anyone else have such a problem.
I have been posting under "Delamination Problem" hoping it might help those who run across a similar problem. My problem was exactly as you described. The dealer said the area around the slideout has most problems. If you run the palm of your hand over the wall you will probably feel that the wall has swelled due to the styrofoam insulation getting wet. The hard bumps are also a sign of water in the walls.

I was told by my dealer there was a batch of bad glue that FR used. They can tell if your tt was made during the time period they used the bad glue by the tt's vin. If it was, FR will fix the problem.

Check your other sidewall closely. More than likely you will find the same problem. They are replacing both sides on my tt. I believed they were probably manufactured at the same time, with the same bad glue, so my dealer and I inspected the other sidewall closely and found delamination there as well.

FR picked up my tt at the dealership on March 26th. They said it would take 2 weeks. I was told last thursday they are scheduled to deliver the tt by the end of this week. That makes it a full 5 weeks since they picked it up.

Hope this info helps and good luck.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #5

There is another 8313 owner who has been on here and the rig is currently at the factory having the problems repaired. I too have an 8313 with some leaking problems, but so far mine is confined to the bathroom area. I plan to contact Forest River to see if mine may qualify for repair before I haul it to the dealer. I know someone who has had their 8317 less than a year and they have water cascading into the clothes closet in the bedroom. A bunch of leaky TT's!!
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #6

Do you know which FR factory was effected (or maybe INFECTED) by the bad glue gremlins? I had an issue wherein the metal actually expanded and bowed out a portion. My trailer is an east coast only model and was built there but the Rialto (Calif) factory fixed it and really treated me right.

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #7

grandpaofthree,
You can contact FR about the problem, but they probably are going to tell you to take it to the dealer so the dealer can inspect the tt and take pictures.
P.S. I've got you beat. I'm a grandpa of four. All girls and all have me wraped around their little finger.

TravelSoftballDad,
I'm not positive, but believe mine was built in Indiana. That's where they replaced the sides as well. Glad to hear they took good care of you.

It's nice that we have a manufacturer like Forest River that will address the problem and take care of it.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #8

Just curious, does FR deal with 2nd owners in such a way (fixing out of warranty) or only original owners typically?
davidl340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #9

I don't know, but you could give them a call to see what they have to say.
I was told by my dealer back in 2006 when I had my problems that this is something that they see with units that are 10 years old, but with the way things are done now it seems to be happing more often, mine happen after 8 days of ownership.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #10

Our 8313 has been to factory and back

We to had water issues in our back slide, the dealer replaced the slide in March of 2009. By May the blisters were back. Called the dealer again and this time FR said they wanted it back at the factory. They picked it up in February 2010 and had it little over 2 weeks. Got it back and they replaced both outside walls of the TT and also put a new roof on. On top of that they fixed a lot of "little" things that were in need of repair. So far all is good and no water coming in.
love2rvcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #11

Love2rvcamp,

Please tell me where you found water problems on your 8313. The last outing I found something that I never would have noticed if not for reading this forum. It was a bowed inside wall just below the ceiling between the slide and the rear wall. I find no moisture at all, just a bowed wall.

I am taking mine to the dealer the week after Memorial Day (can't miss a campout!) to see what they say.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #12

The bow you mentioned is probably caused by the styrofoam insulation getting wet. After my dealer pointed this out to me I found several places, over the entry doors and around the slide out, where the walls had swelled due to the styrofoam getting wet. I never noticed any water around these areas. You might also check for hard bumps on the wall. Another sign that the styrofoam has gotten wet.

Your doing the right thing by getting it to your dealer. They should document the damage, take pictures and then contact FR.

I just got back from my first trip out since getting mine back from FR. They replaced both walls and re-caulked around the front, back and slideout windows. Everything looks and worked great. We had a couple of hard rains last week and I haven't spotted any leaks so far.

Good luck. I hope everything turns out well.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #13

Our 8313 has been to factory and back

Yes our wall was bowed in just the same place as yours. First time we noticed dampness on the top part of the slide. Then we got the blisters and the bow. Like I said ours was bowed in the same place. Took it to the dealer as it was still under warranty. They replaced the interior walls of the slide. It was not even 2 months after we got it back that we got the blisters again in the back slide. This time never saw any water or moisture. This time it didn't bow as bad but we had 3 times the amount of blisters. So back to the dealer. This time they said FR wanted it back because they said our roof was put on incorrect which was causing moisture to stay in the walls. So FR wanted it back to replace the roof. Like I mentioned they replaced the roof, and both outside walls and the back slide. Looks like a new camper. We have been watching very carefully to make sure we don't get any more blisters since we are out of warranty.

You are right in taking it back to the dealer and if they don't make it right contact FR to see what they would be willing to do.
love2rvcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:04 AM   #14

I haven't taken it back to the dealer yet, but I spoke to them on the phone yesterday. They said that FR considers the problem an issue of lack of seam maintenance and not their problem. He also said that the warranties are shorter than has been mentioned on this and other threads. I plan to take it to them next week any way. If they won't help then I will indeed go directly to FR.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaofthree View Post
I haven't taken it back to the dealer yet, but I spoke to them on the phone yesterday. They said that FR considers the problem an issue of lack of seam maintenance and not their problem. He also said that the warranties are shorter than has been mentioned on this and other threads. I plan to take it to them next week any way. If they won't help then I will indeed go directly to FR.

What does "lack of seam maintenance" mean? What do we need to do maintain the seams in TTs?

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #16

That's my question too. I have inspected the seams on the roof, and everywhere where there is caulking looking for gaps, cracks, holes, etc. I have added some caulking recommended by the dealer. I have seen posts that caulking needs to be replaced every few years or as it dries and/or cracks. The roof of an RV takes a beating with intense sun, rain, wind, etc.

It also sounds a little like someone doesn't want to take responsibility. In my case, the leaks started a few months after I bought the brand new rig. Two trips to the dealer, both times it was declared "fixed", but it just keeps getting worse.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #17

I have a 09 8313ss and mine is getting ready to go to to the factory after some a bad warranty fix from my local dealer.(Chesaco Rv in Maryland) I had bubbles on the end wall that was that was replaced. The fix leaked and damaged the side wall and ceiling inside. Now it goes back to F.R. to get the sidewalls,roof and end wall replaced. This transport to the factory is all on my dime im getting ready to take the dealer to court. They said its not there problem. John in warranty at F.R. is a great guy and is fixing my problems for free!
campercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #18

Is there an RV made that doesn't have these kind of issues consistently? Somewhat ridiculous the build quality we have to put up with, what do you have to spend? 50K? to have an rv you can be confident isn't leaking?

Is there any TT that people simply don't have issue with like this? I would think there would be.
davidl340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #19

Just dropped my 8313 off at Rockwood for a roof and possible wall replacement. What a drive from Baltimore, took me 11 hours in 30 mph gust. I hope they stand behind their product and pay for the full repair due to it's going to cost me around $1200.00 for fuel, tolls and the hotel stay to drop it off and pick it up.
Will post more as this unfolds.

Mark
Eastsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #20

2008 8314ss

Just returned from Forest River factory had damage to roof and side wall after taking unit to dealer and leak was determined at slideout seal was told to take unit to factory.Forest River did a great job replaced sidewall which had bubbles and roof which had plywood delaminated.They repaired everything at no cost to me.We really appreciate them standing behind their product.
JIMBOB
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood