Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #1

Rockwood 8317SS kitchen counter configuration question

Sorry... I didn't mean for the thread title to sound like a sentence from Sesame Street on the hard "K" sound

Anyhow, we ordered an 8317SS a few weeks ago... we loved everything about it, especially the kitchen layout with the sink at a 45 degree angle to the wall... it seemed to have more cabinet space as opposed to the ones laid out at a right angle from the wall.

However, just now I went to the Rockwood site to pull up some links for a friend. On the floorplan page it has this pic for the 8317SS (note the right angle sink):

Now when I click on the link for the 8317SS it shows me this pic (with a 45 deg sink):

Have they switched the floorplan in mid-stream, or what's the deal? The one the dealer had on the lot was the 45 degree sink, but we ordered one to get the color wood we wanted. What are the chances I'll get the kitchen layout I wanted? Anyone have any insight on this???

Thanks,

Matt
Matt_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:11 PM   #2

If you ordered it a "few weeks ago" it might be too late, but I would try anyway. Have your salesperson call Forest River immediately to clarify the matter. If it is being built with the configuration you want, then - no problem. However, if it is the other configuration, it might not be too late to change it !! It has been my experience that the factory will try to accommodate you if it is at all possible. Good luck.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
If you ordered it a "few weeks ago" it might be too late, but I would try anyway. Have your salesperson call Forest River immediately to clarify the matter. If it is being built with the configuration you want, then - no problem. However, if it is the other configuration, it might not be too late to change it !! It has been my experience that the factory will try to accommodate you if it is at all possible. Good luck.

...VTX-AL
Thanks for the advice.. I'll give it a shot.

By the way, are you VTX-AL as in the Honda VTX1800 (or 1300)? If so, cheers to a fellow VTX-er!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #4

Yup.... '02 VTX1800R - lots of aftermarket stuff, had it from new and usually get lots of time on it every summer.
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
Newb

I just got the 8317RKSS (one less bunk, but with outside kitchen) and the sink is at a right angle, not 45. I actually like that counter space for coffee pot and probably a fruit bowl.

Hope you get the one you like!
F-350 (V-10) to tow
2010 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8317RKSS
PattiPatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like they changed the bathroom around also. It might be easier to get to the bathroom with the slide in with the 2nd floor plan.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Looks like they changed the bathroom around also. It might be easier to get to the bathroom with the slide in with the 2nd floor plan.
Yeah... now I found a version of the first floor plan with an optional door to the outside from the bathroom. It cuts the counter/cabs out between the left corner and the sink, sticks a door in there, and turns the toilet at a 45 so it's less intrusive to the new door.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:21 PM   #8

in the new catalog the 8317SS and the 8317KDSS have the angled countertop and the 8315RKSS with the outdoor kitchen has the 90 degree countertop so i would say you will get the 45 degree top. congrats on the new trailer. we bought an 8315SS last year and couldn't be happier with it.
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #9

Now (as can be seen from the pics I have linked to Forest River's site in my first post) it looks like the smaller pic has been updated to the angled top to match the larger pic. Hopefully that's the way ours will come, as there was a bit of confusion between my dealer and the factory as to exactly which configuration I was talking about when I asked about it after starting this thread. It sounded like their exchange went similar to how conversations go between my wife and I occasionally.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #10

Welp, our TT arrived at our dealer yesterday (a good two weeks early... I haven't had enough time to finish my pole barn addition to house it!) and alas, it came with the 90 degree sink layout shown in post #7. Not exactly what we wanted, but everything else is... so I'm not complaining! He's gonna hold onto it til Saturday so I'll try to get as much done on the pole barn as possible before then, which will at least allow me to roll it into it's storage place as opposed to being in our driveway.

The first camping trip is planned for May 21, so until then it'll just be back yard campin'.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, congrats on the new arrival !!

What is the arrangement on the bathroom ??? That was different between the floor-plans also.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Hey, congrats on the new arrival !!

What is the arrangement on the bathroom ??? That was different between the floor-plans also.
Thanks.

The bathroom is also laid out like the pic in post #7, allowing room for an exterior door to the john if desired. We didn't desire
Old 04-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe the sink being at right angles instead of a 45 will work out in the end. I think with the sink at a 45 and the overhead cabinet above it being at right angles, the overhead cabinet may jump out and hit you someplace above the eyebrows (don't ask me how I know!)

Congrats on the new camper!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
New to RV's, not camping

Hi Matt_L, when you say it was a full 2 weeks early, what date were you expecting it? When was it ordered? We ordered the exact same unit March 20th, so I was just curious. Also, are you able to get to the bathroom with the slide closed with the new L shape sink layout. I'm guessing ours will now show up with the new configuration as well since yours did. I too am a little disappointed in this as it looks like it sticks out into the living quarters a little farther, but I guess I can live with it, as long as I can get to the bathroom with the slide closed during quick stops on long trips.
Explorer777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer777 View Post
Hi Matt_L, when you say it was a full 2 weeks early, what date were you expecting it? When was it ordered? We ordered the exact same unit March 20th, so I was just curious. Also, are you able to get to the bathroom with the slide closed with the new L shape sink layout.
I believe I signed the paperwork and got the order in on March 8th, so I guess (after looking at the calender) that it's arrival to our dealer on April 26th was 7 weeks to the day, making it one week earlier than I was told (for some reason I was thinking the 8 weeks our dealer told us would put us into May by about a week ).

As far as getting to the bathroom with the slide out in the closed position, I'm sorry to tell you that you're outta luck (or S.O.L. in this instance ). This is the case in either kitchen layout. Once the slide is closed up the dining room seating is only 1"-2" from the bathroom wall. Luckily, tho, it only takes 10 seconds or so with your finger on the slide-out button to slide it out far enough to get to the bathroom, which shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience for ya. We're still waiting for our inaugural camping trip (May 21st!), but as far as we can tell we're gonna be lovin' it. Hope you guys will, too!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #16

In the long run, I think you'll be happier with the 90 degree sink arrangement, yeah, it does take up a little more floor space, but it gives you much more countertop space- a problem mine has with the 45 degree arrangement. Nowhere to put a dish drainer, or an electric skillet or griddle, if desired. Plus, on our V lite they didn't offer the optional counter top extension available now on most campers- including the V lites. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8317ss, rockwood