Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #1

Question Rockwood 8318SS Electrical Problem

We're having a strange issue with all of the electrical outlets in the front half our trailer. Everything worked fine on last trip in October but now none of the electrical outlets in the master bedroom, outlets on the wall next to the master bedroom or the outside outlets are working. I've checked the fuses, circuit breakers, tested and reset the GFCI switch and they all work fine.

Does any one have or know where I can get an electricial diagram for the 8318SS. I'm not an electrical expert and need some assistance.

Thanks,
Tim
Clarksville, TN
sawlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #2

your problem may be with the GFI recp. the ones put in by FR are low end & go bad a lot.
2002 F-250 Super-duty
Woody 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody 01 View Post
your problem may be with the GFI recp. the ones put in by FR are low end & go bad a lot.
i will second that motion
i have replaced all of ours, not because forest river is an isloted builder. but because both of my houses had "builder" crap in it and sure enough the GFCIs failed within the frst few months.
spend 11 dollars and get high quality ones

also check the wires cnnecting in the back of them, most peoples just PLUG in teh wires vice screwing them in , and the wires pop out or work loose out of the snap in points on the back of the outlet
Old 02-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
also check the wires cnnecting in the back of them, most peoples just PLUG in teh wires vice screwing them in , and the wires pop out or work loose out of the snap in points on the back of the outlet
I would also recommend moving the wires to the screws if they are not already there. I had a light switch "go bad" in the stick house. Turns out the only problem with it was the little "teeth" in the insertion holes weren't getting a contact on the wires. This may be the case with your GFI's. Try that before spending any money.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #5

I too replaced both of my GFI's within the first week of receiving my unit. I did it myself as it was a lot less hassle than making an appointment with the dealer and taking the unit in.
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #6

I have a 2008 8313SS and had my front half of the trailer go dead in the first week. GFCI would not reset, not even a click. Just two dead buttons. Swapped the back GFCI (which was working) for the front one to see if I could reverse the problem. Both front and back went dead. Put them back to their original spots and then both ends of the trailer were dead to 120 power.

Went and bought 2 leviton GFCI recepticales from Canadian Tire and bingo bango... I now have working 120 in the trailer (front and back). I can test and reset this magical GFCI with the press of a button.

Feel like bagging these GFCI's and the relay for the heated tanks (which was the wrong relay) and shipping them back to FR asking for my 46$ dollars in parts. I'll foot the labour, it was quicker than hooking up and taking it to a dealer who would take a few weeks to get it fixed....

Oh well, I love my Rockwood, without a doubt. But these Rv compaines in general need spend the extra $8 per GFCI and get real ones.
sirrox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood