Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Senior Moment

Rockwood A/C Issue

Well we took out new 8289ws out this weekend for first trip, weather was great, actually was a little warm. so we ran the A\C's for the first time, I have the upgrade with the 2nd ac in the bedroom. Problem is the main A/C which I believe to be the 15k ac, does not seem to be putting out very cold air, the 13.5k ac in the bedroom was blowin and goin.. noticed on the progressive remote display when only running the main a/c shows about 10-12 amps draw .

Guess I will have to take it in and have the main ac tested. will see how good RV Wholesalers warranty network is..

Other than that everything worked great and we really enjoyed the floor plan..
rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Sounds like the compressor is not running; just the fan. The total amps are too low for two compressors.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Sounds like the compressor is not running; just the fan. The total amps are too low for two compressors.
X2

30 amp minimum with two a/c's goin
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #4

Maybe to clarify, the 10-12 amps was when just the main AC was running and the second one off? If this is the case was there a difference when you had the quick cool vent open vs. running through the vents and distributing through the camper? If so you might want to check the ductwork and even how the AC is sealed up from the inside.

I have never checked the load when just the AC was running but could 10-12 be correct with nothing else but a single AC on (maybe not startup, but running)?
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
Maybe to clarify, the 10-12 amps was when just the main AC was running and the second one off? If this is the case was there a difference when you had the quick cool vent open vs. running through the vents and distributing through the camper? If so you might want to check the ductwork and even how the AC is sealed up from the inside.

I have never checked the load when just the AC was running but could 10-12 be correct with nothing else but a single AC on (maybe not startup, but running)?
One a/c and converter will most likely be around 12-15 amps yes.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockport View Post
noticed on the progressive remote display when only running the main a/c shows about 10-12 amps draw .
So now we need clarification from the OP....it could be bad sealing of the vents. Had the same problem with last camper and with a couple dollars for aluminum tape and my time the AC worked beautifully.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #7

We the same problem with our Rockwood a/c. It ended up being the a/c had a clog which took out the compressor. FR replaced the entire a/c unit didn't even try to fix it.
keven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Senior Moment

sorry for the confusion, yes that number was with just the main ac running, nothing else in trailer on, and hooked up to house outlet with adapter. While at the campground this weekend, had 50 amp service and with both ac's running the remote display showed line 1 about 13 amps and line 2 also 12-15 amps.. tried unit with quick cool and with ducted, the air flow seems to be there just not very cold coming from the main unit. The bedroom unit which is also ducted thru the trailer was much cooler air.. (but was quite loud).
Being hooked up to regular outlet at home, the main ac running and nothing else shows 9-10 amps only.. may not be enough power to run the 15k compressor, not sure..
Old 04-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
sorry for the confusion, yes that number was with just the main ac running, nothing else in trailer on, and hooked up to house outlet with adapter. While at the campground this weekend, had 50 amp service and with both ac's running the remote display showed line 1 about 13 amps and line 2 also 12-15 amps.. tried unit with quick cool and with ducted, the air flow seems to be there just not very cold coming from the main unit. The bedroom unit which is also ducted thru the trailer was much cooler air.. (but was quite loud).
Being hooked up to regular outlet at home, the main ac running and nothing else shows 9-10 amps only.. may not be enough power to run the 15k compressor, not sure..
That is more like it with two ACs running.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order. Perhaps the main A/C unit is low on refrigerant as the amps says that the compressor is running but output isn't cold.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post

Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order. Perhaps the main A/C unit is low on refrigerant as the amps says that the compressor is running but output isn't cold.

Dave
I think your right. Will contact dealer this week. Wouldn't think a brand new unit would be low on Freon but maybe was never charged up properly.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.
LOL! He's in Texas, the dealer is in Ohio.
Rockport, keep us posted on how RVW handles this, please.

Wright
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
Senior Moment

Update: Contacted RVW this morning, they said warranty is with Coleman the A/C manufacturer, and they would locate a warranty shop for me. I happen to have a good rv repair shop close to me that I have used in the past and can use them, will be taking in this week to check the ac.. RVW said they would follow up in a week to make sure I was taken care of..

Will update once I find out what the problem is, in case anyone else is having similar issues.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Update: Contacted RVW this morning, they said warranty is with Coleman the A/C manufacturer, and they would locate a warranty shop for me. I happen to have a good rv repair shop close to me that I have used in the past and can use them, will be taking in this week to check the ac.. RVW said they would follow up in a week to make sure I was taken care of..

Will update once I find out what the problem is, in case anyone else is having similar issues.
Hopefully everything goes smooth!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
LOL! He's in Texas, the dealer is in Ohio.
Rockport, keep us posted on how RVW handles this, please.

Wright
They deal with this kind of situation all the time and from most accounts, satisfactorily.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #16

I know you have already set up a trip to the repair shop but I'm just wondering...You said the air didn't "feel" as cool but did you take a temperature reading with a thermometer? You should have a 18 to 20 degree difference between your return air temp and the supply temp closest to the unit.
trainwreck68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
Senior Moment

Update: repair shop called today, said he has a brand new unit coming from Coleman. Should have new ac on by first of next week. I will get details of what was bad when I pick up, but was told by owner of repair shop that Coleman is very good to work with.

So I wasn't losing my mind after all. Just don't ask my wife that question.