Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Owner/Operator

Rockwood/Flagstaff 5th Wheel Pin Box Upgrade

After much research and inquiries, I have found that the Pin Box on the Rockwood (and probably also Flagstaff) are a special build made by/for Lippert for the Ultra Light series.

The LCI Item# 2717491 (which also carries the Reese 10K Revolution Part# VHD-10K22SW) is a 10" wide Pin Box unique to these FR products. All the Ultra-Fab and Lippert Trail-Air Tri-Glide Pin boxes are either 12" or 12-1/2" wide, and replace "standard" Pin Boxes used on other 5th wheels.

I have contacted Lippert and inquired whether they will be making a Trail-Air Tri-Glide Pin Box for the Ultra Lights, but have not received a reply.

In light of recent discussion here on the forum regarding Pin Box related frame failures on other models, I'm interested in reducing the stress on the Pin Box exerted by my heavy tow vehicle.

My question is, are there any other Rockwood or Flagstaff owners that would be interested in upgrading to an air ride Pin Box?

If there is sufficient interest, that might sway Lippert in the direction of providing such a product.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #2

I thoght lip pert already did offer this.
Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box
albuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
After much research and inquiries, I have found that the Pin Box on the Rockwood (and probably also Flagstaff) are a special build made by/for Lippert for the Ultra Light series.

The LCI Item# 2717491 (which also carries the Reese 10K Revolution Part# VHD-10K22SW) is a 10" wide Pin Box unique to these FR products. All the Ultra-Fab and Lippert Trail-Air Tri-Glide Pin boxes are either 12" or 12-1/2" wide, and replace "standard" Pin Boxes used on other 5th wheels.

I have contacted Lippert and inquired whether they will be making a Trail-Air Tri-Glide Pin Box for the Ultra Lights, but have not received a reply.

In light of recent discussion here on the forum regarding Pin Box related frame failures on other models, I'm interested in reducing the stress on the Pin Box exerted by my heavy tow vehicle.

My question is, are there any other Rockwood or Flagstaff owners that would be interested in upgrading to an air ride Pin Box?

If there is sufficient interest, that might sway Lippert in the direction of providing such a product.

RodeoGeorge
I would be interested if it came in the revolution design please keep me informed either by the fourm or PM. Thanks Rodeo George for checking into this. I think my trailer gross weight is is like 9700 lbs. and my Reese Pin box is rated at 10,000lbs. would like one with a little more room for capacity like 1200lbs. I'm sure we have the same one even through that yours is THE Diamond Unit and mine is just the the plain #8289WS. Please keep me informed. It would be less stress on the pin box. I'm really at the max I would like something a little heaver......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by albuilder View Post
I thoght lip pert already did offer this.
Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box
Sorry disregard, did not read all of your post.
albuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Owner/Operator

Well, I'm in the Catch 22, ever decreasing concentric circle syndrome.

I was told by Ultra-Fab that the Pin Box was made by Lippert.

Here is the answer that I just received from Lippert:

George,
We do not have a replacement for the revolution pinbox. This pinbox is not made by Lippert.

David Bice

Looks like a drill in futility. But I tried. Does anyone have an idea?

RodeoGeorge
Old 08-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
Tee

I am also interested in an air ride pin box to fit in my 8289. Don't care if it is sidewinder style or not as I still have mine locked out.
Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
Always Learning

There turned out to not be any pin box replacements and George is looking at new air ride hitches for his truck:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tch-45299.html
Old 08-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
I am also interested in an air ride pin box to fit in my 8289. Don't care if it is sidewinder style or not as I still have mine locked out.
I've spent a couple of months and untold hours searching for an Air Ride Pin Box that will fit the Rockwood series 5th wheels. The bottom line is, at this time, there is no Air Ride Pin Box that will fit the Rockwood, primarily because the OEM Pin Box is custom made for FR and is only 10" wide.

My only option to obtaining an cushioned ride is to install an Air Ride 5th Wheel Hitch. And with the height limitation of 11" in my application, I'm going to have to go with something like the TSLB2H by Trailer Saver (Hensley). Big bucks, but better than a structure repair on the RV.

RodeoGeorge
Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #9

Quote:
I've spent a couple of months and untold hours searching for an Air Ride Pin Box that will fit the Rockwood series 5th wheels. The bottom line is, at this time, there is no Air Ride Pin Box that will fit the Rockwood, primarily because the OEM Pin Box is custom made for FR and is only 10" wide.

My only option to obtaining an cushioned ride is to install an Air Ride 5th Wheel Hitch. And with the height limitation of 11" in my application, I'm going to have to go with something like the TSLB2H by Trailer Saver (Hensley). Big bucks, but better than a structure repair on the RV.

RodeoGeorge
George, I have just finished the Rockwood Plant Tour yesterday. After reading about the Wildcat pin box failure and seen the pictures, I did talk to the plant on the pin box frame construction on our Rockwoods. They made a design change 3 or 4 years ago. I have attached the pictures of your frame. You will see the channel construction and the extra solidly welded gussets install. The pin box area is nothing like the Wildcat failure. I would not worry about a failure. You will see the pin box already installed when the Factory gets them. I had the 2 engineers that designed the Revolution by Reese at my site to inspect my pin box and the operations. They explained everything to me. There is a lot of misinformation being said on the forum, After talking to them and seeing the construction first hand, I'm not worried about a structural failure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Factory Tour 001.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	37222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Factory Tour 002.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	37223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Factory Tour 003.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	37224  

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
George, I have just finished the Rockwood Plant Tour yesterday. After reading about the Wildcat pin box failure and seen the pictures, I did talk to the plant on the pin box frame construction on our Rockwoods. They made a design change 3 or 4 years ago. I have attached the pictures of your frame. You will see the channel construction and the extra solidly welded gussets install. The pin box area is nothing like the Wildcat failure. I would not worry about a failure. You will see the pin box already installed when the Factory gets them. I had the 2 engineers that designed the Revolution by Reese at my site to inspect my pin box and the operations. They explained everything to me. There is a lot of misinformation being said on the forum, After talking to them and seeing the construction first hand, I'm not worried about a structural failure.
Thanks for the update...glad to see what it looks like under there. I was very worried as well but feel a bit better now! Kept thinking that every squeak I heard was the frame failing!
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
And a big thanks from me as well. For the pictures also.

I'll still proceed with the Air Hitch, as I also pull a trailer with a LED Video Scoreboard inside, and while the scoreboard is pretty rugged, anything to smooth out the ride helps.

RodeoGeorge
Old 08-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Owner/Operator

Am I allowed to be fickle and change my mind? LOL

Been thinking about the $3K for the Air Ride Hitch, and that money could be better spent on a Solar System and a couple of 2K Generators (Honda or Yamaha).

I'll keep my eye out for an Air Ride that meets my requirements, but think that for now I'll be passing on the outlay.

RodeoGeorge
Old 08-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
Tee

I approve of this message

As much as I want an air ride pin box, going totaly custom seems a bit extream.

Have you thought about installing shocks like OldCoot did? I think I have all my brackets about built and plan on installing when its not 90 outside. If it takes some of the chucking out that should help.

T

Quote:
Am I allowed to be fickle and change my mind? LOL

Been thinking about the $3K for the Air Ride Hitch, and that money could be better spent on a Solar System and a couple of 2K Generators (Honda or Yamaha).

I'll keep my eye out for an Air Ride that meets my requirements, but think that for now I'll be passing on the outlay.

RodeoGeorge
Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
I approve of this message

As much as I want an air ride pin box, going totaly custom seems a bit extream.

Have you thought about installing shocks like OldCoot did? I think I have all my brackets about built and plan on installing when its not 90 outside. If it takes some of the chucking out that should help.

T

Great suggestion.

Added to the "to do" list.

RodeoGeorge