Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

Rockwood/Flagstaff floors

I have been told that the Rockwood/Flagstaff ultralight fifth wheels (and I assume camper trailers), do not use plywood on the floor, but instead something not much different from the luan used under the fiberglass in the exterior.
Has anyone who owns one of these campers looked at theirs to see what is under the carpet/linoleum?
Is this the cause of the sagging floors some have reported?
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #2

After some snooping around the internet, it appears that the floors are indeed a luan/syrofoam/luan sandwich. No wonder the brochures never mention anything about the floors, as the ones that use real plywood always do.
We have always been careful to not do anything to place a concentrated load on the floor, and am now glad we did that. Using step stools with small feet, or having kids jumping around in the camper with their shoes on, would no doubt crush the styrofoam under the luan, and eventually lead to those "soft spots" that we hear about.
But I have to wonder what FR was thinking when they designed this system, other than saving money. It is simply ridiculous.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #3

I am surprised no one seems concerned about the crappy floors in their campers. If I would have known about it, I would never have bought one.
I did a heck of a lot of research before buying, but never imagined that FR would put such a pathetic floor in any camper, let alone one that looks like a higher-end model. I just assumed it would be something acceptable.
I guess everyone else is satisfied with crap?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
Site Team

as far as i know, this type of floor is used industry-wide, not just FR.

so, you should be ranting at the entire RV industry.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #5

RV type

Can you share the type unit you own and have used over time that you are having trouble with?

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #6

"as far as i know, this type of floor is used industry-wide, not just FR."
------------
Well, it shouldn't be used by anyone!
All I know is that when I was shopping around for a camper, all of the units I was considering had real plywood floors, mostly 5/8ths tongue and groove. I mistakenly assumed that mine was similar.
It was my fault, as I was a bit curious why the brochures never mentioned anything about the floors, other than they were aluminum-framed, but I didn't pursue it. We really liked the floorplan, and were blinded by that. Dumb on my part.

sail2liv, I have an ultralight Flagstaff fifth wheel. We have not had any issues, yet. But I am no fool, and I know how weak that luan is, even if it is supported by the styrofoam. Even if they had put 3/8ths plywood down, the extra weight and cost would have been minimal, and yet the floor would have been much stronger. But I would have paid whatever it cost to have a real floor, with 5/8ths tongue and groove in my camper.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonG View Post
"as far as i know, this type of floor is used industry-wide, not just FR."
------------
Well, it shouldn't be used by anyone!
All I know is that when I was shopping around for a camper, all of the units I was considering had real plywood floors, mostly 5/8ths tongue and groove. I mistakenly assumed that mine was similar.
It was my fault, as I was a bit curious why the brochures never mentioned anything about the floors, other than they were aluminum-framed, but I didn't pursue it. We really liked the floorplan, and were blinded by that. Dumb on my part.

sail2liv, I have an ultralight Flagstaff fifth wheel. We have not had any issues, yet. But I am no fool, and I know how weak that luan is, even if it is supported by the styrofoam. Even if they had put 3/8ths plywood down, the extra weight and cost would have been minimal, and yet the floor would have been much stronger. But I would have paid whatever it cost to have a real floor, with 5/8ths tongue and groove in my camper.
The floor on my 2012 Flagstaff (same as Rockwood) is solid and I don't feel anything "spongy" at all.

No use fretting about problems that don't exist.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #8

pappcam, under "normal" use, the floor will probably stand up ok. But over time, or with heavy use, your "solid" floor won't feel so solid anymore. With repeated loads from foot traffic, the styrofoam under the flexing luan will start to compress, getting worse and worse as time goes on.
You may think your floor is solid, but I'll bet you never really paid attention. Go out and jump on it in several spots, and I think you will be unpleasantly surprised.
I am not that angry with FR, as they are just building what the consumer wants. I am more angry with myself for not being a smarter consumer.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #9

forest river floor material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
as far as i know, this type of floor is used industry-wide, not just FR.

so, you should be ranting at the entire RV industry.
the entire industry does not use that type of floor. i had a 2013 rockwood signature ultra lite ordered and i found out about the floors. now i have a KZ SPREE 322 BUNKHOUSE ON ORDER AND I KNOW FOR SURE IT HAS A PLYWOOD FLOOR.
tiberiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #10

Quote:
I am surprised no one seems concerned about the crappy floors in their campers. If I would have known about it, I would never have bought one.
I did a heck of a lot of research before buying, but never imagined that FR would put such a pathetic floor in any camper, let alone one that looks like a higher-end model. I just assumed it would be something acceptable.
I guess everyone else is satisfied with crap?
I'm not sure what year/model, etc. you own, but it clearly states in the Rockwood brochure we used last year when purchasing our model, that the floors are vacuum bonded. I've attached a screen shot from the brochure. So isn't it buyer beware? Did you fully read the entire brochure to know what you were buying? We haven't had any issues with our floor and haven't babied it in the least. I'm not in the habit of worrying about things that MAY go wrong.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rw brochure.pdf (93.7 KB, 422 views)
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #11

floor material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
I'm not sure what year/model, etc. you own, but it clearly states in the Rockwood brochure we used last year when purchasing our model, that the floors are vacuum bonded. I've attached a screen shot from the brochure. So isn't it buyer beware? Did you fully read the entire brochure to know what you were buying? We haven't had any issues with our floor and haven't babied it in the least. I'm not in the habit of worrying about things that MAY go wrong.
i read it all and noticed the brochure did not show any plywood.i called the factory on it when my sales person said the factory told him it was plywood. he just wanted to make a sale. i have nothing against forest river. i know construction and i want a plywood
Old 06-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #12

Technically, it is plywood. The problem is that it is very thin plywood, and not a very high quality either.
Someone made some snide remark about 'buyer beware', but who would imagine that they wouldn't put a solid floor in a $30,000 camper?
Heck, I would even accept 7/16 OSB!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #13

If I'm not mistaken, Ultralites have 16" on center aluminum floor joists. My Mini Lite doesn't even have that. The floor does feel "spongier" than my previous stick and tin model but it was something I sacrificed to go to a smaller, lighter unit with the floorplan I wanted. I crawled under it one day and had my wife walk around on the inside and you can see the floor give way very slightly (and, in case she reads this, she is in no way heavy, she is very light, in fact. ) We just have to be careful. If it gets too bad in the future then I'll have to think of some way to support it.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #14

luan has a place and that is vertical,not horizontal.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Technically, it is plywood. The problem is that it is very thin plywood, and not a very high quality either.
Someone made some snide remark about 'buyer beware', but who would imagine that they wouldn't put a solid floor in a $30,000 camper?
Heck, I would even accept 7/16 OSB!
it wasn't a snide comment at all.brochure clearly states what type of floor these ultra light models have. Its not like FR is trying to hide the fact that the floors aren't covered in 3/4" plywood. If you wanted a model with residential plywood floors, than you have to sacrifice weight and additional cost.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #16

Trudinator is correct. The brochure does clearly provide the floor materials of construction.

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS

BradinOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
brochure clearly states what type of floor these ultra light models have. Its not like FR is trying to hide the fact that the floors aren't covered in 3/4" plywood. If you wanted a model with residential plywood floors, than you have to sacrifice weight and additional cost.
No, the brochure is not clear.
And I don't want a "residential" floor in my camper, just something sensible. As for the extra weight and cost, just how much would that be? A hundred pounds and fifty bucks? Big friggin deal.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #18

Have a 2011 Flagstaff 5th wheel bought in 2010. So far no floor problems, but now will probably be paying extra attention. I know the slide out is less than 3/4 inch as used short screws to put some clamps on the floor for the table, they just barely came thru the floor.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradinOhio View Post
Trudinator is correct. The brochure does clearly provide the floor materials of construction.
Thank you. Others are not so convinced, even thought it clearly states "vaccum bonded floor" and even shows a photo of the floor. Clearly not plywood, OSB, etc.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Are we pretty much done with this?

Seem like we are spinning our wheels and accomplishing "not too much."
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad