Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #1

Rockwood geo pro 19fbs and 19fd weight problem

I am 6-7 months away from buying my first RV, looking at small units,the geo pro 19fbs or 19fb are the winners,my problem is understanding weight

The cargo carrying capacity is 898 lbs,if you travel with a full tank of fresh water,37 gallons (310 lbs) two batteries (124 lbs) two full propane tanks (40 lbs) you only get 424 lbs left of carrying capacity, Is that correct?

The second question is about the tongue weight(360 lbs) plus two batteries (124 lbs) plus propane(40 lbs) the tongue weight will be (524 lbs),is that correct?

The third question,The weight you put in the pass through storage affect the tongue weight ?,the fresh water tank full affect the tongue weight ?,

My TV is capable of towing this trailer,i am worried about the tongue weight exceeding 15%
lando50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #2

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. The majority of the weight in the pass through will be tongue weight. The actual location of the water tank will determine how much weight goes on the tongue.

What is your tv and what are its tow capacity and payload?
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
Site Team

As discussed in another Geo/E Pro thread, single axle trailers will have high tongue weights, for their size. Tandem axle trailers help distribute the CCC so tongue weights are lower for the size.
And because they are made for those with smaller less-capable tow vehicles, they have low CCC numbers, so they can hit that 3500-3800lbs magic number.
Propane weight is already factored into the dry tongue weight number, so you don't count that.
Question 2, your 524 number is not realistic since loaded for camping, it'll be more.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #4

thanks for your answers,the good think about being 6-7 month away from buying is that new models are introduced,after my post today i saw the new-no boundaries 16.8,really interesting unit with more CCC,but a smaller fridge
Old 09-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #5

I have a 16BH and my loaded ready for travel tongue weight is about 620. That is about 16-17%. My propane tanks are about half full as well. It bothers me that the tongue is so heavy and I suspect it is the reason for the porpoising I experience. I have two big dogs in the back of the Acadia and we moved up from 600lb wd bars to 800lb. No airbags or suspension mods yet. We’re contemplating moving up to a GD 21BHE which although is heavier, has the dual axles and possibly a bit lower tongue weight. If we go that route, I plan on adding an aux transmission cooler to further enhance the tow package cooler, better brakes, new struts and probably air bags.
onVacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onVacation View Post
I have a 16BH and my loaded ready for travel tongue weight is about 620. That is about 16-17%. My propane tanks are about half full as well. It bothers me that the tongue is so heavy and I suspect it is the reason for the porpoising I experience. I have two big dogs in the back of the Acadia and we moved up from 600lb wd bars to 800lb. No airbags or suspension mods yet. We’re contemplating moving up to a GD 21BHE which although is heavier, has the dual axles and possibly a bit lower tongue weight. If we go that route, I plan on adding an aux transmission cooler to further enhance the tow package cooler, better brakes, new struts and probably air bags.
Yep,that was my suspicion, that tongue weight would be over 15%,the new no boundaries 16.8 is heavier, around 3200 lbs and CCC is over 1400 lbs and about the same layout
Old 09-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

lando50, the G19FD was winner for me at Hershey RV show past weekend, I have one on order. I am thankful I do not have a tow vehicle yet, as like you, my research has discovered the loaded tongue weight will exceed the rated tongue weight of 500 lbs for most mid sized SUV's. I am going larger (used). And will be a pickup. Don't need seating for 8 freaking passengers like these new SUV's have.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
lando50, the G19FD was winner for me at Hershey RV show past weekend, I have one on order. I am thankful I do not have a tow vehicle yet, as like you, my research has discovered the loaded tongue weight will exceed the rated tongue weight of 500 lbs for most mid sized SUV's. I am going larger (used). And will be a pickup. Don't need seating for 8 freaking passengers like these new SUV's have.
For me it is not about going over 500 lbs,but that the tongue weight is gonna be more than 15%,new to the rv wolrd,maybe a WD would take care of that,still researching
Old 09-22-2018, 01:24 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando50 View Post
For me it is not about going over 500 lbs,but that the tongue weight is gonna be more than 15%,new to the rv wolrd,maybe a WD would take care of that,still researching
WDH doesn't lower tongue weight, it distributes it.
So if your TV is limited to 500lbs, a WDH won't change that.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Ford Towing Guide for 2015 models

Dan, since I'm in the market for a used F150, I found this tow guide that lists all the weights/capacities of all the Ford models, even cars.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...Tgde_May19.pdf

Look at page 28. The only models that have a tongue weight allowance that INCREASES with a WDH are the large SUV and P/U lineup. So the tongue weight of 500 lbs on an Explorer AFTER WDH, remains at....500 lbs.

Surprisingly, the F150 only has a 500 lb tongue weight allowance, until you put on the WDH, and then it more than doubles!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Dan, since I'm in the market for a used F150, I found this tow guide that lists all the weights/capacities of all the Ford models, even cars.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...Tgde_May19.pdf

Look at page 28. The only models that have a tongue weight allowance that INCREASES with a WDH are the large SUV and P/U lineup. So the tongue weight of 500 lbs on an Explorer AFTER WDH, remains at....500 lbs.

Surprisingly, the F150 only has a 500 lb tongue weight allowance, until you put on the WDH, and then it more than doubles!
You might be surprised to see what 500lb of weight placed on a hitch ball does to the balance and stance of a ½ ton truck. My trailer has around 850 T/W and without W/D bars the wheel well drops 2 ½ inches and the front raises ¾ of an inch. The rear axle goes over GAWR by a couple hundred lbs with us in the truck. With the bars I am able to get the front back to unloaded height and the rear to squat about 1 ½ inch. This then balances the axles and neither axle is overloaded when we all get in the truck and are all hitched up for camping.

I have a Rockwood mini lite 2509s, F150 2wd and equalizer 4 point 10k hitch. Initially set up with 5 washers did bring down ½ the rise gain when loading the trailer and keeps us under the GAWR, I thought we could do better so I added 2 washers to the head, took all but 5 minutes. This brought me back to unloaded height at the steer axle and made wonders in the ride. The truck handles much better and rides closer to unloaded.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
We own a GeoPro 19fbs and are satisfied with it. You need to know that the weights as listed in the marketing info is not indicative of what your unit will weigh.
The published marketing lit will assume a unit with no added options. Things like microwaves, awnings, Tv's, all add weight.
Our unit for example came in at over 3200# dry and once we added solar and 2x 6v batteries the tongue weight is north of 700#.
If shopping for a tow vehicle, pay particular attention to the yellow stickers in the drives door that specifies added payload the vehicle can manage. That also assumes as the vehicle left the factory. Any additions or modifications made after that either add or reduce that payload number
Good luck with your new rig
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #13

Geo Pro 19FD Tongue Weight

Just as an FYI: just got a Geo Pro 19FD. With two batteries, propane tanks at 1 3/4 full, no bike rack and tanks empty (H2O is over the axle, grey and black behind, the tongue weight was 580.
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing..."
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnweeze View Post
Just as an FYI: just got a Geo Pro 19FD. With two batteries, propane tanks at 1 3/4 full, no bike rack and tanks empty (H2O is over the axle, grey and black behind, the tongue weight was 580.
Thanks for that information,i think 580 is ok, but still more than 15% of the total weight,i think 580-600 lbs of tongue weight using a weight distribution should be fine

Tags
rockwood, weight