Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2018, 11:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
So I'm still waiting for my GeoPro G19FD to be built. In the mean time, I've purchased a suitable tow vehicle (2015 Ford F150 4x4), and been researching weight distribution hitches (WDH). I settled on this one, https://www.etrailer.com/Weight_Dist...2-00-0800.html, a Fastway E2. The price is reasonable, and the most important thing for me is it is good for tongue weights between 400 and 800 lbs. I'm told the GeoPro has a heavy tongue weight and would probably fall towards the upper end of this range when loaded.

I contacted etrailer.com with an installation question (after ordering it), and the rep said he does not think it will fit my trailer because of all the stuff on the tongue that would block the WDH brackets!!! Now I'm looking at having to ship it back for 108 bucks and it hasn't even arrived yet!

CAN ANYBODY WHO HAS THIS TRAILER PLEASE MEASURE FROM THE TIP OF THE HITCH BACK TOWARDS THE TRAILER BOX AND LET ME KNOW IF ANYTHING WILL BE BLOCKING THE BRACKETS FOR THE WDH?
The brackets have to be installed between 27 and 30 inches back from the tip of the hitch. I am hoping this area is between the propane tanks and battery boxes and I can still use this hitch when it arrives. If you click on the link above for the WDH, you can see the brackets I'm talking about.
I have a 19FD with a round bar version of what you ordered and there is plenty of room to install and operate it. If, for whatever reason it doesn't fit see if your dealer will exchange it for one that will. My dealer sells both types.
rverginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #22
Trailer Park Supervisor

rverginia,

I just read the installation instructions for your round bar E2, and cut and pasted the relevant instructions for the brackets below. I'm surprised they do not interfere with your propane tanks, as they have any even shorter distance from the hitch tip than the trunnion bar type I ordered. My setup calls for a 27-30 inch distance, your round bar set up is below:

Measure from the center of the coupler along the outside of the trailer frame, and place a mark at 27” on both sides. is
is the center mark for the sway bracket assembly. See Figure 6a.
Check around the trailer frame and make sure that there are no gas lines, brake lines, or electrical wiring that could be a ected by the installation of the link plates. If so, make sure these are re-routed or avoided and will not be disrupted or damaged by the link plate installation.
In some cases where there is an
obstruction at 27” that cannot be avoided,
the link plates may be moved forward up to
a minimum distance of 24” from the center of the coupler.
Figure 6a
NOTE: For trailers with an obstruction that does not allow installation at 24”-27”; if the tongue weight of the trailer is less than 800 lbs., the brackets may be moved forward down to a minimum of 20” on center. Be aware that moving the bracket assembly forward can alter the sti ness of the ride and the weight distribution set-up. Re-adjust the setup as necessary to get good weight distribution.
If the sway bracket assembly is moved
forward more than the standard 24” you
must also check to make sure the ends of the spring arms will not hit the sides of the trailer frame in a tight turn. See Figure 6b. Also check that the spring arm does not bind between the L-pin and L-bracket. If either of these issues occur, the bracket assembly must be moved backward until there is no binding or frame interference in tight turns.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #23

I have a 19FD with the Fastway e2 (10k) and it fits perfectly with nothing in the way.

(edit)
BTW, I also have an unused spare e2 (6k) due to a mix up by Amazon if you haven't already purchased one.
DaWilluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #24
Trailer Park Supervisor

Another post that makes my day!!! I have the new E2 sitting in a box in the garage waiting for my Geo to be built next week, Hopefully will take delivery in another month or however long it takes to ship and prep.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

DaWilluz, is yours the trunnion bar or round bar style? I see in the manuals the round bars style mounts a couple inches closer to hitch than the trunnion style.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:23 AM   #26

Quote:
If it's something as minor as a brake safety switch, yeah no problem, but if the cover for the propane tanks is in the way, or the battery shelf, that's a different story.
I have the E19FD with the Fastway e2 800lb. The dealer installed it and didn't have any issues...no relocations that I'm aware of.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #27
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thanks JP, I bought the 800 also. Sitting in box in garage, I will be installing it myself. Glad to know it's going to fit, I was freaking out when etrailer sent me a email suggesting it wouldn't (hours AFTER they had shipped it!) Seems the perception he had of space was skewed when looking at the one pic of the tongue I found online. Now....Can anyone tell me how much space there is for a battery box? I am considering having the dealer put on a dual 6v golf cart battery box. Is there a shelf in place of some sort? Angle iron? I have no idea.

Update: My trailer comes off assembly line tomorrow! I'll have it by Thanksgiving!
Old 10-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks JP, I bought the 800 also. Sitting in box in garage, I will be installing it myself. Glad to know it's going to fit, I was freaking out when etrailer sent me a email suggesting it wouldn't (hours AFTER they had shipped it!) Seems the perception he had of space was skewed when looking at the one pic of the tongue I found online. Now....Can anyone tell me how much space there is for a battery box? I am considering having the dealer put on a dual 6v golf cart battery box. Is there a shelf in place of some sort? Angle iron? I have no idea.

Update: My trailer comes off assembly line tomorrow! I'll have it by Thanksgiving!
Yes, there's mounting on the trailer frame for dual battery boxes. Our dealer installed 2 12 volt Interstate deep cell batteries for us. It was just part of deal, tho not documented or discussed. Your dealer should be able to do dual 6v's with no issue, but you'll save a lot of money if you do it yourself.

BTW, the WDH drop links that support trunnion bars will locate just behind the propane tanks and ahead of the battery boxes...plenty of space. See pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	471.6 KB
ID:	189942  
Old 10-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #29
Trailer Park Supervisor

Great pic! Yeah, i think the dealer installs a single 12v, included with sale. On Lowes site, I was able to find a pair of Deka GC15 (6v) rated at 230aH. 299 bucks out the door, tax and core charges included. A nice NOCO batt box on Amazon for 59 bucks. Hoping dealer will give me credit for their battery, and I can just have those put on/in.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #30

Battery Box

Quote:
Great pic! Yeah, i think the dealer installs a single 12v, included with sale. On Lowes site, I was able to find a pair of Deka GC15 (6v) rated at 230aH. 299 bucks out the door, tax and core charges included. A nice NOCO batt box on Amazon for 59 bucks. Hoping dealer will give me credit for their battery, and I can just have those put on/in.
NJ: Do believe they come with a duel battery box. At least mine did, and I've not seen one without it.
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing..."
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #31
Trailer Park Supervisor

That would be nice! I don't know if it comes from factory with a box, or is that something dealer puts on. Would be nice to not have to buy a box for a pair of golf cart batts.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnweeze View Post
NJ: Do believe they come with a duel battery box. At least mine did, and I've not seen one without it.
Battery boxes are not factory items, they are dealer-installed items. Same thing with batteries.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #33
Trailer Park Supervisor

That's what I figured. And probably the cheapest ones they can possibly obtain. Not that they won't do the job, but I have my eye on this one: https://no.co/hm426 Disregard price, it's 59 bucks from Amazon.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #34

we have same hitch on E19FD. works fine. true that A-frame is busy but the 27" location for the bars works fine. Remove the gas jug cover while mounting brackets.

Plastic cover will come down over top of brackets but lift bars work fine. Note that bracket may be too high when OEM instructions are followed. I had to drop the L brackets about 2 holes.
davidp886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:21 AM   #35
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thanks for the tip David! Still waiting for trailer delivery, WDH is sitting out in garage. Maybe unbox it this weekend and start looking at it. Did your trailer come with dual battery boxes? Dealer said it comes from factory that way.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:44 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Did your trailer come with dual battery boxes? Dealer said it comes from factory that way.
Since batteries are dealer-installed items, I've never heard of factory battery boxes, on towables.
Also dealers may install group 24 or 27 or 31 batteries. Or even 6v golf cart batteries. How would the factory know what boxes to put on?
I wouldn't believe the dealer unless Geo/EPros are the first towables to come with them from the factory.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #37
Trailer Park Supervisor

Dan, you were right again my man! The sales mgr. said the boxes came with the trailer. When I called to arrange pickup, and a possible dual 6v arrangement, another guy told me they install them.

Anybody who has this hitch, can you tell me how many spacer washers you used? I know it will depend on tow vehicle, mine is an F150. Instructions say to start with 6.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Dan, you were right again my man! The sales mgr. said the boxes came with the trailer. When I called to arrange pickup, and a possible dual 6v arrangement, another guy told me they install them.

Anybody who has this hitch, can you tell me how many spacer washers you used? I know it will depend on tow vehicle, mine is an F150. Instructions say to start with 6.
Mine came with the 12V boxes and they swapped them out because I ordered 6V batteries.
They will set up your hitch for you when you pick up the trailer. There is a good YouTube video on how to set them up. Watch that a couple of times and then check the dealers settings. They had to redo mine. Enjoy!
rverginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #39
Trailer Park Supervisor

Got 'er done rverginia. See my last post on this thread for a pic of my pending setup of the battery box: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...on-173815.html

Tags
rockwood