Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
mike54's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Crystal lake,IL
Posts: 248
Unhappy rockwood is falling apart

our one year old Rockwood ultra signature lite 8319 is falling apart.

closet pole was only screwed into thin paneling no backing I could find
entertainment door screws pulling out
all the ceiling vents fell apart the third camping trip last year
microwave inside peeling and rusty
door closure screws pulled out this morning
I hate the water filter location and want it bypassed or removed.
so far no big problems like slides failing, wheels falling off, awning not working
most I'll fix myself but why should I have to? I can't wait until the FROG rally I hope they have guys from the factory come listen to the problems everyone seems to be having.
__________________

__________________
Mike & Marsha
2011 Signature Ultra Lite 8319SS
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel

http://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 107
Is it still under warranty? I would have them fix it. Did you get the second year warranty also?
__________________

__________________
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
HogHead
 
Bauerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sonoma
Posts: 15
Yeah, sorry to hear it also. I dont hang or attach anything without first having a solid foundation. But i had problems with the tail light blowing fuses in my suburban. Then when the light s were on and i actuated the brakes they overbraked it was a horrible event on a rainy night coming back from tahoe. Luckily still under warranty and we found the problem. Ofcourse in the furthest corner of the trailer, under the shower pan. Someone screwed the wire and caused a short in the whole electrical / lighting system. I guess it could have caused a fire. The tech yanked the wire and pulled out one of the marker lights. Whew! We are good to go now. This problem took a while to manifest itself. Maybe because things shifted in the trailer or somthing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3113192205.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	16306  
__________________
Bauerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
our one year old Rockwood ultra signature lite 8319 is falling apart.

closet pole was only screwed into thin paneling no backing I could find
entertainment door screws pulling out
all the ceiling vents fell apart the third camping trip last year
microwave inside peeling and rusty
door closure screws pulled out this morning
I hate the water filter location and want it bypassed or removed.
so far no big problems like slides failing, wheels falling off, awning not working
most I'll fix myself but why should I have to? I can't wait until the FROG rally I hope they have guys from the factory come listen to the problems everyone seems to be having.
I don't want to say this and I hope I am wrong in your case but it might not be over. I had more problems with the structure two weeks after the warrenty was up and it continued, the appliances where good except the 13,500 BTU Dometic a/c unit, I change it out and installed a Carrier 15,000 BTU unit. My camper was an 8314ss, this rig needs a 15K as standard not a 13.5K....
__________________
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 4,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I don't want to say this and I hope I am wrong in your case but it might not be over. I had more problems with the structure two weeks after the warrenty was up and it continued, the appliances where good except the 13,500 BTU Dometic a/c unit, I change it out and installed a Carrier 15,000 BTU unit. My camper was an 8314ss, this rig needs a 15K as standard not a 13.5K....
Yes you did have structural problems after the warrenty was up,you said a Tree fell on your unit. May your unit RIP at the junkyard,as you said. Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
I am disgusted with the workmanship in my 2011 Rockwood 1809. Can this really be the work of Americans? Sadly, it is. My travel trailer shows an astonishing lack of care in its assembly. I realize that to have an ultralight trailer there must be some sacrifice in the weight of components but there is no excuse for those components being assembled so unprofessionally.
My AC leaked when it rained. I took the bottom cover off and looked at the four long screws/bolts which connect the inside with the outside (with a gasket in between). There was a total of over 3 inches of thread showing on the four screws! By simply screwing the screws in, as the assemblers should have done, I stopped the leak.
I just found a screw behind the stove that had been broken off BEFORE it was inserted - there was a 1/16" dimple in the wood under the panel with no broken off screw shank. Unbelievable!
There are many more examples of absolutely astonishing disregard for standard building practices in my trailer. Would I ever buy another Rockwood Product? Would I ever buy another Forest River Product? Would I ever hesitate to warn friends, family, acquaintances, complete strangers, about buying from this company? What do you think?
__________________
ProfessorB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Hob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 279
mike54,

Tell this to herk7769 under the thread, "I love my Forest River Product." I think he bought stock in Forest River. He is a fantastic help with problems. Yet, the way he sometimes gets on the Forest River podium you need to wonder why he is there with all the help promoting Forest River.
__________________
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Too old to be too smart
 
SpringerPop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
Tell this to herk7769 under the thread, "I love my Forest River Product." I think he bought stock in Forest River. He is a fantastic help with problems. Yet, the way he sometimes gets on the Forest River podium you need to wonder why he is there with all the help promoting Forest River.
Don't you think that's a little unfair to Herk?

He's had good luck with his, and he's satisfied with it.

I believe he genuinely wants to help, and I have never detected any "hidden agendas" in his posts.

Some folks are just like that, and not everybody is self-serving alone, thank goodness!

Pop
__________________
1999 Forest River Flagstaff 21FB - perfect for the two of us.

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3:73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
I find it interesting that both the Rockwood and the Forest River websites have no contact info. That is a very informative fact. They clearly have no use for feedback. They take your money and then you're on your own!
__________________
ProfessorB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
Member
 
SaskCampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorB View Post
I am disgusted with the workmanship in my 2011 Rockwood 1809. Can this really be the work of Americans? Sadly, it is. My travel trailer shows an astonishing lack of care in its assembly. I realize that to have an ultralight trailer there must be some sacrifice in the weight of components but there is no excuse for those components being assembled so unprofessionally.
My AC leaked when it rained. I took the bottom cover off and looked at the four long screws/bolts which connect the inside with the outside (with a gasket in between). There was a total of over 3 inches of thread showing on the four screws! By simply screwing the screws in, as the assemblers should have done, I stopped the leak.
I just found a screw behind the stove that had been broken off BEFORE it was inserted - there was a 1/16" dimple in the wood under the panel with no broken off screw shank. Unbelievable!
There are many more examples of absolutely astonishing disregard for standard building practices in my trailer. Would I ever buy another Rockwood Product? Would I ever buy another Forest River Product? Would I ever hesitate to warn friends, family, acquaintances, complete strangers, about buying from this company? What do you think?
You may not want to buy from very many RV manufacturers then as more than FR build units the way our FR units are made and some of them are in the 6 figure range. My BIL has a unit made by K-Z and anything I can see wrong with my FR made unit he can find pretty much the same standard of build and QC on his.

A wise man once said "The grass is not always greener on the other side".

And BTW I agree that Herk is just a happy camper as are we. Sure we have had some minor issues but all has been looked after very well by our dealer.
__________________

__________________

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2012: 18 2013: 16 2014: 5
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.


Forest River RV News right to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Forest River news to your inbox

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]